This is going to sound so stupid but...

99 replies to this topic

#26 MooGuru

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:29 PM

View Post~J_F~, on 14 January 2019 - 09:59 AM, said:

Haha me too..

Along with waking up in the night thinking I wish someone would shut that crying baby up, only to realise it was mine and I was the one who needed to sort it out!!

DS screamed for his first couple of hours of life. I still remember so clearly this moment of "someone needs to calm that poor baby" and the smack in the face of reality that that someone should be me. Never have I felt more unprepared for what life had in store than in that moment.

OP I remember rather optimistically thinking I'd done pilates and pregnancy/birthing exercise classes. The ob will probably just have to stand on the other side of the room with a baseball catcher's mit. Apparently that's not how birth works - who knew!?

#27 Mollyksy

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:30 PM

I was a solo mum and stayed with my mum after birth. Day 4 she found me and DS bawling in the loungeroom. All I could sob was "I've broken him". He had a conjunctivitis like something on one eye and all I could think was that I had broken this tiny baby. We took him to the doctors and my what an experience saying out loud the words "my son" to the receptionist. That was a massive moment.

#28 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:01 PM

There are times when laying eggs and then coming back to look after them when they are ready to hatch seems very appealing.

#29 RichardParker

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:03 PM

I had that moment the night before my first birth- I was up laying reading a birthing book in the way one might cram before an exam, with the same feeling of dread and the general understating that, no matter how much I read tonight, this is gonna hurt like hell tomorrow.

I didn’t even have a birth plan. Baby still came out, though. They always do, one way or another.

#30 wallofdodo

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:10 PM

And it also took me ages to reliably call 'The Baby' by his name.

#31 daisy007

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:11 PM

I spent my pregnancies in denial that something was going to be pushed out my vagina. I had super quick births with both and lay there like a stunned mullet each time, in complete shock that an actual baby had come out!

#32 Lou-bags

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:17 PM

View PostRichardParker, on 14 January 2019 - 02:03 PM, said:

Baby still came out, though. They always do, one way or another.

Haha! I had a moment during DS1’s birth when I’d been pushing for maybe half an hour and it felt like nothing was happening and I was crying and asking for help. The OB said we can’t help you, you need to do this yourself. And I genuinely thought well that’s it then, I’ll stay pregnant forever. I really believed it for a few moments. I was so tired I was convinced I was completely incapable of continuing to push.

#33 born.a.girl

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:31 PM

Having had an elective caesar, loving the stories of vaginal births.   I somehow assumed that labour prepared women mentally for the arrival of a baby.  I'd be thinking 'feck, there needs to be damned good reward at the end of this'.

#34 MarigoldMadge

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:38 PM

My SIL had her baby 4 weeks before I had DD and I remember standing over the baby and having a major freak out - she seemed so huge and all of a sudden I wanted out.

Of course, my niece was 2.8 kgs and I went on to deliver a 4.1 behemoth, but anyway, perfectly understandable response to be freaking out.

#35 Lou-bags

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:40 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 14 January 2019 - 02:31 PM, said:

Having had an elective caesar, loving the stories of vaginal births.   I somehow assumed that labour prepared women mentally for the arrival of a baby.  I'd be thinking 'feck, there needs to be damned good reward at the end of this'.

At the end, when I was actually birthing DS1, I don’t think I was thinking much about the baby at all tbh, except in the sense that I wanted it OUT! I shouted at him ‘get out!!’ a lot, and ‘get this effing baby out of me’ at whoever was there. Oh the sweet relief when it was done!

#36 seayork2002

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:47 PM

I need to say I am in no way saying this in a bragging way at all so please do not read anything else into to it, but my situation was no morning sickness, no showing even in late pregnancy, and an epidural meant I felt nothing at all so it was the most surreal situation I have ever been through because the only symptoms I had was no period and a few contractions till the epidural kicked in.

So logically I knew I was pregnant but in my head I wasn't, not once did I FEEL pregnant, so to have 9 months of people telling me I will have a baby and to be told we had to get organised but very bizarre indeed.

It was like me being sat here at work and just being handed a baby and being told 'here take this'

#37 Lifesgood

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:56 PM

Yeah its a bit of a design flaw really.

I think the pouch idea or laying an egg design would have been preferable personally.

#38 Kaz83

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:16 PM

My most recent baby was born at 29 weeks and 1.6kgs... once she got up around the 2.5kg mark I remember thinking one day when she was lying on my chest 'she's still meant to fit inside me'!!
Considering her big sister was 4kg born she still had lots of catching up to do but she still seemed way too big to fit inside my belly.

#39 Mumma3

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:36 PM

I remember just telling myself over and over that if billions of women had done this already, then it had to be possible. I clearly remember my second birth and the feeling of him going “pop” as he came out. It was weirdly like popping a huge pimple - a massive gush of fluid and baby.

#40 Hands Up

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:49 PM

Yeah I remember that last week completely freaking out.

Then DS1 was born and another weird moment of oh yeah we are actually getting a baby out of this!

Then he screamed for over an hour and that is NOT what happens in birthing suites in the movies!

With DS2 we were shocked all over again as it was such an easy labour and only about ten pushes. Our OB said he’s here and my response was “no way!”

#41 Freddie'sMum

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:54 PM

I spent most of my first pregnancy thinking to myself "Holy Hell I am PREGNANT!!".

I was so in shock that I didn't actually think until about month seven - "Holy Hell now I have to GIVE BIRTH".

That was basically my thinking until DD#1 arrived.

#42 Silverstreak

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:04 PM

Honestly, I tried not to worry too much about how I was going to give birth, as I get anxious at the best of times.

Ended up kinda going with the flow and trying lots of things: pethidine, gas, water injections, which were fantastic, then an epidural, laboured for 17 hours or so and then finally had a c-section. I gave it a red hot go and even though things didn't go precisely to plan, I still got DS in the end, so I was pretty happy with that.

A few things that stand out from that experience, I was really polite and didn't swear once during labour hahaha.  If I had my time over again, I'd throw in a few swears. And DS had the loudest cry in the whole new baby ward, he was pretty notorious by the time we went home. :ph34r: :laugh:

We also had the disbelief that we got to take a real live baby home. Most exciting.

One more thing, leading up to the birth, I took photos of washing all of DS' brand new clothing and blankets that I'd lovingly washed in soap flakes and hung on the line to dry. Ahh, memories. Now I just shove white and colours in the washing machine and hope I can get the stains out lol.

Edited because I forgot the gas. I tried all the drugs, baby!

Edited by Silverstreak, 14 January 2019 - 08:18 PM.

#43 Noodlez

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:07 PM

I never forget being left alone the first night DS was born and having to change his nappy. I had no idea which way It went I ended up buzzing a midwife to ask if I put it on correctly.

#44 AdelTwins

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:19 PM

You are probably still going to look 20 weeks pregnant AFTER you’ve given birth. The rest will slowly shrink over the next 6 weeks as your uterus shrinks back into shape. So you’ll only be pushing out 1/2 of your pregnant belly.

I still looked full term after the birth of my twins! :o

#45 Silverstreak

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:23 PM

View PostNoodlez, on 14 January 2019 - 08:07 PM, said:

I never forget being left alone the first night DS was born and having to change his nappy. I had no idea which way It went I ended up buzzing a midwife to ask if I put it on correctly.

We had this little newborn suit that a friend had bought us, it was gorgeous, but buttoned up on an angle. DH and I nicknamed it the "suit of doom." Not sure if I kept the suit of doom or passed it onto an unsuspecting friend!

#46 Beancat

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:24 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 14 January 2019 - 09:09 AM, said:

it’s daunting - a by product of evolution I’m  afraid - in order to walk upright we developed a narrower pelvis - combined with the big brains (ergo big heads) of homo sapiens - women got the raw end of the deal....but our bodies are amazing....you can do it! (and there’s drugs).

#47 Hands Up

Oh I told my OB and my husband to **** off after 26 hours of labour mid stand off re my refusing to push. I’d missed a night of sleep and was half deranged. It all worked out and he was in peals of laughter when I apologised the next morning.

#48 Future-self

Yep , the whole thing is whacked.

#49 Beancat

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

I did not know this about the narrow pelvis. But now I think about it, yes we do have narrow pelvis’ compared to other mammals

#50 Silverstreak

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:30 PM

I do like the idea of a pouch. Or laying an egg that DH can sit on and hatch as I have a nap.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.