Child Support Exemption

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 MissBehaving

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:49 PM

Has anyone successfully gained a CSA exemption (from claiming child support to still get FTB A/B) using the "Risk of harmful or disruptive effects" reason?

How serious does harm need to be?

#2 born.a.girl

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:56 PM

Can I suggest you put a link to your other thread, so people know just what a piece of lowlife your ex is?

I don't have any advice, but hope your little family is recovering from the trauma.

#3 Dianalynch

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:06 PM

I'm aware of many people who have received an exemption on the basis of a violent ex partner. A centrelink social worker will be able to guide you through the process.

#4 MissBehaving

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:16 PM

He's never been violent but a bully and as b.a.g. referred to, he recently withheld our 4 year old and 23 month old from me for 18 nights.

He has accused me of hiding income and so many other verbal fights over CS I'd really like it to go away.

I can live without his money but not also losing FTB, I will call CSA and Centrelink on Monday

Edited by babylove69, 13 January 2019 - 02:35 PM.

#5 born.a.girl

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:22 PM

I would call withholding children a very special kind of violence.

#6 MissBehaving

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:35 PM

I would too but it seems my ideas and the law don't always match up!

#7 BadCat

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:37 PM

Edited by BadCat, 23 July 2019 - 10:11 PM.

#8 MissBehaving

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:39 PM

Thanks Fresh Start

#9 Sancti-claws

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:20 AM

How are you travelling now, BabyLove?  And how are your kids going?

#10 Gonzy

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:35 PM

Hi OP,

Just so I understand, you are seeking to have CSA agree that your ex does not need to pay CS without this impacting your access to FTB A and FTB B?

Is the reason you are seeking zero CS so that your ex can no longer see the kids?  You are aware that CSA do not in any way enforce the parent receiving the child support to provide access to the paying parent right?  In which case, can you not continue to have CSA paid to you for the care of your children, whilst simultaneously seeking orders to not provide access to your ex based on his behaviour over Christmas and NY?

I am just wondering why you should miss out on the financial support when HE is the one in the wrong?

Edited by Gonzy, 23 January 2019 - 12:36 PM.

#11 MissBehaving

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:24 PM

Hi Gonzy, I believe if he didn't have to pay CS he wouldn't have any relationship with the kids at all, let alone be insisting on 50/50. It's not "right" to let him out of his financial responsibility but I don't need it and it's better for my kids not to be exposed to his life and his "love".

Sancti-claws, thanks for asking.

I'm much better emotionally, it's going to be a while before I feel good physically - I do not recommend the mega-stress diet, I lost 12kg in 18 days.

The kids are still recovering steadily  (even after having to go to ex for 1 night over weekend) and we've got good support around us.

I'm disillusioned with the legal system or just feeling like the world isn't as fair as it should be or something.

Having a round-table meeting with ex and solicitors soon to either work out a final Parenting Plan or Consent Orders but I don't understand what I get for all the money orders cost.

For instance, if ex withholds again, even with orders I still need to go to court for a Recovery Order don't I?

#12 ~Kay~

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:54 PM

Yes you're right. I had court orders and had to go back to court for a recovery order but that's in force for 12 months.

#13 WaitForMe

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:10 PM

I just read your other thread, wasn't sure if you were still reading it or not.

Is there any chance he could have access to your email?

#14 MissBehaving

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:24 PM

I have suspected he has access to something digital of mine but no conclusive evidence.

#15 HippyDippyBaloney

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:14 PM

I have a child support exemption. Mine was granted very easily and will be lifelong unless I choose to drop it.

I spoke to a social worker at Centrelink to have mine granted. Let me know if you have any questions, I will be happy to assist if I can.

#16 HippyDippyBaloney

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:17 PM

Oh and for what it’s worth, there are very few people in my life that really ‘get’ what the exemption is there for and why it’s necessary. I’m constantly told I should go after all the money I can. It’s only really the people who have had experience with family law that really understand why it is so important for us, and these people all strongly advocate i keep it in place.

#17 nup

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:30 AM

Babylove the big 4 banks via the ABA have announced quite awhile ago that they are giving financial assistance to customers who experience DV. I have not had luck with it but part of the package is to provide a new phone.

Additionally I have a DV contact who provides tech advice but found their knowledge limited and found it more worthwhile to pay for a private service. The private provider linked me with a private security firm who can do almost anything. The fees weren't exorbitant for the servicea they could provide. Please keep yourself as safe as possible.

#18 nup

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:32 AM

Hippy dippy can we apply for it once CSA has been assessed? I'm already in CSA collect thinking I was protecting us all but it's a disaster that he has manipulated anyway.

OP it's done via the Centrelink social workers. They assess each case but it's not too confronting. I find Centrelink workers to be generally the most helpful and respectful

Edited by nup, 24 January 2019 - 07:35 AM.

#19 MissBehaving

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:17 AM

The social worker I spoke to said I can cancel the CSA assessment once I have the exemption, it doesn't matter if you already have an assessment nup.

My solicitor doesn't think it will help in my case, ex will just find something else to bully me about.

#20 Nobodyelse

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:20 AM

View PostGonzy, on 23 January 2019 - 12:35 PM, said:

I am just wondering why you should miss out on the financial support when HE is the one in the wrong?

This is a very utopian way of looking at financial support. Often men like the OP's ex will use child support as a weapon against the ex. Foregoing their money takes away their power.

Is it right? Nope.
Does it suck b@lls? Totally.

But I've seen far too many women held hostage to their ex's cash to believe in taking it just because it is 'right' for men to pay for their kids. Sometimes, what is right and what you can live with are at opposite ends.

#21 nup

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:22 AM

I agree with your solicitor and am holding my course so to speak. The need to destroy seems pretty much insatiable. My ex seems overwhelmed by his humiliation that his "perfect" veneer of a life has been destroyed but can't link any if it to his choices. He just talks about his humiliation when I talk to him. The blame and hate is awful and he has a crowd of supporters. I can't imagine living this forever.

#22 nup

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:25 AM

View PostNobodyelse, on 24 January 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

This is a very utopian way of looking at financial support. Often men like the OP's ex will use child support as a weapon against the ex. Foregoing their money takes away their power.

Is it right? Nope.
Does it suck b@lls? Totally.

But I've seen far too many women held hostage to their ex's cash to believe in taking it just because it is 'right' for men to pay for their kids. Sometimes, what is right and what you can live with are at opposite ends.

I don't agree that it is utopian but under the current social model it can seem that way. There are ideas about how separation with children should happen. Then there's the reality of violent men supported in their violence while women are held responsible.

#23 MissBehaving

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:36 AM

View Postnup, on 24 January 2019 - 08:22 AM, said:

I agree with your solicitor and am holding my course so to speak. The need to destroy seems pretty much insatiable. My ex seems overwhelmed by his humiliation that his "perfect" veneer of a life has been destroyed but can't link any if it to his choices. He just talks about his humiliation when I talk to him. The blame and hate is awful and he has a crowd of supporters. I can't imagine living this forever.

I hear you, that is exactly how my ex is and the mistress-turned-partner is worse, a very toxic adult in my kids lives.

#24 Nobodyelse

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:37 AM

View Postnup, on 24 January 2019 - 08:25 AM, said:

I don't agree that it is utopian but under the current social model it can seem that way. There are ideas about how separation with children should happen. Then there's the reality of violent men supported in their violence while women are held responsible.

That's kind of what I meant. We have this idea of the best way to separate with kids and often the reality just doesn't fit in with it.

I mean, money is power, right. It always has been. Be it Trump levels of corruption or the 8yo trying to convince their brother to do their chores for 50c less than he gets for doing them. It is an easy and uniformally accessable means to control people.

So this idea that the mother should fight for it because she's entitled to it or deserves it is rose coloured because sometimes freedom from it is far more valuable.

#25 StillDreaming

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:39 AM

With the amount of money some ex’s are told to pay the whole thing is often a joke anyway. I understand wanting an exemption. My goal is to not need xp’s money because he also uses it as a power thing. It annoys me but I refuse to mention it to him because I think he does it looking for a reaction. It has and always will be ‘his money’ in his eyes. It was never mine despite my paying 50% of everything while we were together (and also while I was on maternity leave no less...). Sorry to go off on a tangent... I just know from my experience (which was not as serious as yours) that removing the ex from as much as possible is best option as far as taking back control.

That’s great that you don’t need his money. I hope all works out with FTB and you can live life without him controlling things - or the threat of a repeat of the stunt he pulled over Christmas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.