Some USA questions...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 carls888

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:31 AM

Hi,

we are off to the USA again in October/November for 5 weeks.

We are staying on the West side this trip and will be flying into LAX.

The questions I have are about the start of the trip, we have snagged great times and arrive into LAX at 5.30pm, DH wants to stay somewhere nearby and walk, eat, shower, sleep before we head off the next day. (normally we have arrived at 6am and gone straight to our first destination).

Where would you recommend within a 30 minute trip from LAX to stay for one night? It doesn't have to be an airport hotel, but it can be.

Then we have a road trip for 9 nights, starting in LA after that first night, ending in Palm Springs for a week. (we also go to LA again and Disneyland and Las vegas for a conference after the road trip).

We have driven from LA-SF twice taking a week/10 days each time, we are not keen on San Diego...where would you recommend? I am happy to fly somewhere and drive back to Palm Springs.

I have been thinking about:
Portland, Oregon-SF,
Lake Tahoe
Santa Fe-Scottsdale-Sedona

but I would love some suggestions please.

Thanks... x

Edited by carls888, 13 January 2019 - 07:32 AM.

#2 ali-song

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:53 AM

El Segundo is a good place to stay - it’s very close (immediately to the south of the airport) and safe/clean. I’ve stayed in the Hyatt House, and it was fine.

#3 just roses

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:11 AM

I really like Sheraton Gateway and have stayed there a few times, but when DH was over there a few months ago, I booked him a place at El Segundo called Hotel2twentyone and he loved it. Not so much the hotel - it was perfectly fine because he didn’t have a car but those who did found the lack of parking onsite difficult- but he really loved the neighbourhood around the hotel.

#4 2bundles

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:03 AM

Personally I would stay at the airport. Pick up the car the next day. You will be arriving in peak hour. Seems like a bad time to try to drive 30mins!

9 nights, I would suggest Jackson Hole - Yellowstone, then drive down to Palm Springs through Vegas. The National Parks are amazing.

The Oregon coast is beautiful, but that time of year isn’t its best.

#5 teejay

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:37 AM

I'd stay at the airport. We did the same flight last year and it was great. I never sleep much on the plane so we just went to our hotel and relaxed for a bit then went for a dinner and came back and went to bed. Woke the next morning feeling really refreshed

#6 carls888

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:06 AM

Cool. Thanks guys. I'll look into those suggestions!

#7 Coffeegirl

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:13 AM

Santa Monica isn’t too far from the airport and if you want to be able to walk around and find something easy to do on the first full day, then there’s lots.  

It’s also pretty easy to get to and from on the interstates.

#8 KA

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:24 PM

Just wanted to say Sedona is one of my favourite places in the whole world. It is so beautiful and that is a perfect time of year to visit.

We lived in Scottsdale for a couple of years. There is lots to do, some great hiking trails, good food, shopping and some lovely places around. Bartlett Lake is only about 40 mins north and you can rent a pontoon or a speed boat for the day. The views of the landscape and desert surrounds are spectacular. As well as the most stunning sunsets I’ve ever seen anywhere.

#9 Moukmouk

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:35 PM

Santa Monica and Venice beach are fairly close to the airport, and nice palaces to stay. I like being able to walk outside on the beach - good for jet lag. In Palm Springs, make sure you do the aerial tramway. It is amazing. You go from 33 degrees on the desert floor to having some snow around at the top. Joshua tree national park also has some great walks.

#10 carls888

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:58 PM

View PostKA, on 13 January 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

Just wanted to say Sedona is one of my favourite places in the whole world. It is so beautiful and that is a perfect time of year to visit.

We lived in Scottsdale for a couple of years. There is lots to do, some great hiking trails, good food, shopping and some lovely places around. Bartlett Lake is only about 40 mins north and you can rent a pontoon or a speed boat for the day. The views of the landscape and desert surrounds are spectacular. As well as the most stunning sunsets I’ve ever seen anywhere.

Awesome! Where would you recommend staying in Sedona? And DH is a golfer, hence the visit to Scottsdale...I would love any information about areas to stay or hotels that are great in Scottsdale too please!

Would  2-3 nights in Sedona and 4 nights in Scottsdale be the way to break up 7 nights?

And I have my eye on the Sequoia National Park. It's totally out of the way from the rest of our trip, but I think we may do 3-4 nights there...anyone been?

Thanks so much for all of your help! I appreciate every comment. xo

Edited by carls888, 14 January 2019 - 01:58 PM.

#11 KA

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:46 PM

View Postcarls888, on 14 January 2019 - 01:58 PM, said:

Awesome! Where would you recommend staying in Sedona? And DH is a golfer, hence the visit to Scottsdale...I would love any information about areas to stay or hotels that are great in Scottsdale too please!

Would  2-3 nights in Sedona and 4 nights in Scottsdale be the way to break up 7 nights?

And I have my eye on the Sequoia National Park. It's totally out of the way from the rest of our trip, but I think we may do 3-4 nights there...anyone been?

Thanks so much for all of your help! I appreciate every comment. xo

Your time frames sound perfect. We moved back to Oz in 2013 so I’m a bit out of date in terms of what would be good accomodation. If your DH is a golfer he will be in heaven in Scottsdale.

I have stayed st the Hyatt Regency Gainey Ranch which is lovely. However there would be lots of more economical options. The JW Marriott Desert Ridge was always super popular with friends who had kids, though have never stayed there myself.https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/phxdr-jw-marriott-phoenix-desert-ridge-resort-and-spa/

#12 beccaj

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:49 PM

Joshua tree & Death Valley if staying local
Or fly to Utah and drive up through Grand Tetons into Yellowstone. Fly out of Bozeman Montana to go back to LA.

Crater Lake in Oregon was fabulous too

#13 beccaj

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:51 PM

Or fly to Utah and drive up through Grand Tetons into Yellowstone. Fly out of Bozeman Montana to go back to LA.

#14 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:49 PM

View Postbeccaj, on 14 January 2019 - 02:49 PM, said:

Are you my sister?

Since she went to Grand Tetons and  Bozeman several years ago she has not stopped trying to get every body she knows to go there. I'd much rather head to the Pacific Northwest (Portland, Seattle).

DS and I stayed in Santa Monica five years ago at the start of our road trip LA, Vegas, Minneapolis, Seattle, Portland, LA. I just didn't feel the love for Santa Monica or Venice Beach. They were just dingy, grubby places and apart from the beach there was not much else to go there for, although we did share a ride with a lovely family from Detroit on the Ferris wheel.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.