Parents and prams

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 Moukmouk

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:51 PM

It’s been a bit quiet around here lately....

It’s english, so “parents and child”. But timely in the holiday period when car parks are very full and busy.

https://www.facebook...57923217943706/

Written by the very excellent Gill Sims, author of “why mummy drinks” and “why mummy swears”. On Facebook as “Peter and Jane”.

#2 ~J_F~

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:57 PM

I think the person who wrote that is a knob, t*at, d*ck and whatever word she choose to use!!

#3 Paddlepop

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:05 PM

Time for popcorn I think! England takes pram parks a lot more seriously than Australians by the looks of that page.

#4 Moukmouk

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:14 PM

View Post~J_F~, on 12 January 2019 - 05:57 PM, said:

I think the person who wrote that is a knob, t*at, d*ck and whatever word she choose to use!!
Did you just not like her writing style, or do you actually think that parking spots for parents are an abomination to civilised society?

#5 Luci

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:30 PM

I didn’t mind the article. More entertaining than just “don’t park there.” The light hearted comical style might make more people read it and perhaps then think twice about where they park.

#6 kimasa

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:40 PM

Yes! A parents parking thread! Fasten your seat belts everyone, we're in for a wild ride!

I'll start:

1. The "This is ___" meme is very 2017 and people should give it a rest

2. The spaces next to the trolley bays are far superior to the parents parking spaces, especially when your car is extensively hail damaged because who cares if someone rams their trolley into it?

#7 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:49 PM

There was a Bill at my shops today. Bill was driving a sports car. The carpark was half empty and so were the parents with prams parks, but he decided to park there anyway. Cause walking 5m apparently would have killed him.

Funny post OP, but it won’t change people. People are self centred.

#8 ~J_F~

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:50 PM

View PostMoukmouk, on 12 January 2019 - 06:14 PM, said:

Did you just not like her writing style, or do you actually think that parking spots for parents are an abomination to civilised society?

It’s judgmental bullsh*t... you have no idea why someone might park there, maybe they are a prick or maybe there are other factors but hey it’s so much easier to judge and call people names!

#9 Seven of Nine

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:56 PM

I liked it.

Parking in PWP without a need to park there is mildly selfish. I don't think of myself as having that need, so I always leave them available.

#10 Justcurious88

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:00 PM

I wouldn't dream of parking in parental/senior/disabled parking. Why? Because those parks aren't for me.

#11 Chocolate Addict

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:43 PM

They all sound as entitled as each other. I wish PWP spaces didn't exist or were at the back of the car park.

#12 casime

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:00 PM

I think there is a certain percentage of the population that spend far too much time getting worked up if they can't park in a PWP bay (and I do see it on UK forums more than Australian).   "How am I supposed to do my shopping if I can't get a PWP park?"  The same way you always did, you just have to walk a bit further than if you got one of those spots.

I may be biased, because none of the PWP spots anywhere around here are any bigger than any other spot, just closer to the door (closer than the disabled spots in some cases).   If they were wider and allowed better access I could understand it, but they really are just the same as every other park.  I preferred to park at the back of the carpark where there were plenty of empty spaces and walk a bit further when I was using a pram, I don't actually remember ever using a PWP spot.   Wider spaces, but at the back of the carpark would sort out those who really need them vs those who just want to park close to the store.

#13 Mel1609

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:01 PM

It's light hearted fluff.  Who really gives a crap?

#14 Toddlerandme

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:39 PM

Casime, I used to park at the back when I was using a pram too. Much easier and less likely to have someone park next to you, because opening the doors wide enough is the tricky part. I didn’t mind the walk. I’d be very happy to have wider pram parks at the far end of the car park.

#15 seayork2002

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:11 PM

We moved from the uk to Australia when ds was 4. PWP was very popular in forums there so we just parked in normal spors there.

Not sure IRL there whether it was as complicated as spoken of in forums but we didnt want a part of it

#16 Riotproof

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:20 PM

I think Louise probably needs to start using home delivery.

#17 BECZ

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:43 PM

We rarely used parents with prams etc. car parks.  Like others we chose to park a bit further away and have more space.  The original ones had more space and I totally get that, but by the time we had kids and possibly just the area we lived and shopped in, they were all just regular size and closer to the shops.  
I would rather they added more disabled or possibly seniors parking.  The shopping centre where we last lived had lots of seniors parking and just a handful of parent car parks.

#18 Future-self

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:16 PM

I love the PwP parks in my local .
Never understood the point of them prior to this. But these are  down a level so quiet, wide so my exit exuberant  door swinging toddlers/preschoolers don’t prang the car next to us and are right smack bang next to the trolley return. they don’t take the space of seniors or disabled parks as there plenty of them much closer to the entrance and the PWP are across a section so I don’t feel guilty either .
I go down there and park in them when I have the super speedy non compliant 3 year old still .  The zealots can G ****ed. She’s non compliant, unpredictable and trust me if she’d agree to be in a pram, I’d have her in it. But she won’t so I don’t and I take the convenience.

Edited by Future-self, 12 January 2019 - 10:17 PM.

#19 ShelbyP

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:33 PM

They’re a marketing courtesy. Anyone can park in them.

#20 Ellie bean

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:45 PM

View PostShelbyP, on 12 January 2019 - 11:33 PM, said:

They’re a marketing courtesy. Anyone can park in them.
Yes of course they can but it still makes you an ass if you don’t actually need it

#21 Chocolate Addict

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:27 AM

View PostJustcurious88, on 12 January 2019 - 07:00 PM, said:

I wouldn't dream of parking in parental/senior/disabled parking. Why? Because those parks aren't for me.

You really, really cannot put disabled parking in with seniors and PWP. Disability parking the only one that is official, the others are just marketing ploys. Park in a disabled space without a permit, you could/should get a ticket. Park in PWP/seniors and nothing, except the evil eye from someone that thinks you are evil.

We are currently waiting for my mothers new disability permit, I can tell you right now, if we need to park in a PWP park we will without any guilt.

#22 Ellie bean

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:39 AM

View PostChocolate Addict, on 13 January 2019 - 12:27 AM, said:

We are currently waiting for my mothers new disability permit, I can tell you right now, if we need to park in a PWP park we will without any guilt.

Of course you should use the pwp. I can’t imagine any reasonable person having an issue with that. I figure they’re for anyone who needs them whatever their issue, parent or otherwise.
I still reckon though that if I as a perfectly able bodied person with no additional needs uses one, when there’s other parks, I’m being a jerk. I know how useful I found them with 2 under 2, one of them a runner who flatly refused a pram.

#23 HolierThanCow

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:51 AM

My husband and I parked in a PWP spot outside Woolworths once when we had a pram but none of our children in the car. We are both pedants. We were willing to fight the point with anyone who gave us the stink-eye. We were only buying milk and pizza shapes.

They need more disabled parking spots.

#24 mpoppins92

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:55 AM

I don’t use them but I do get annoyed at the zealots who go on about the ones at my local being bigger and that’s the reason they need them not because of proximity to the door.. The painted lines are exactly the same, they aren’t bigger.

#25 ShelbyP

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:03 AM

View PostEllie bean, on 12 January 2019 - 11:45 PM, said:

Yes of course they can but it still makes you an ass if you don’t actually need it

That’s your opinion. If anyone can park there, then that’s how it is. Are prams a disability? Do parents actually need special parks? It’s quite subjective.

Edited by ShelbyP, 13 January 2019 - 06:05 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.