Would you visit Singapore again?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Charli73

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:03 AM

So we went to Singapore last September and my DH had to work a couple of days and the kids felt the heat a lot but loved it. We didn’t get around to some of the things I wanted to see (zoos, adventure cove ) and im considering going back again with the family and staying at the same place.

We dis Legoland Malaysia last time for our last 2 days but we wouldn’t do that again.

Is there any shame in visiting somewhere again or should I take the kids somewhere completely different? They are 6/7 and can’t go too long in the plane..
I didn’t like the idea of Bali..

#2 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:09 AM

If you want a bit of a resort holiday you could take the ferry to Bintan, Indonesia from Singapore. There's a Club Med and other resorts there and it should be reasonably priced. Otherwise what about hoppping a plane into Malaysia to KL or Penang. Loved Penang. DS 5 had a great time.

#3 casime

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:59 AM

I've been to Singapore 4 times and would go back again.  I love it.

As a child we travelled to the same overseas location every year, and I've been quite a number of times as an adult as well.  Twenty nine trips so far, and I'm going to start the tradition again with my son this year.  

There's nothing wrong with going back to somewhere you enjoy more than once.  Plenty of people go to the Gold Coast or other location every year for their holidays, so overseas should be no different.  

It's your holiday, go wherever you would like.  Sometimes it's nice to know that you're going somewhere you will definitely enjoy.

#4 Renovators delight

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:09 AM

My brother and his wife go to Singapore a couple of times a year, my grandparents used to go to Singapore one year and Hong Kong the next for about a decade. I don't see an issue.

#5 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:17 AM

We were there in October, and are going again in June, but only because we’re tagging onto an extended family holiday and they want to go to universal studios on Sentosa.

DS would move there.  He loves the escalators and the train system.
I don’t need to go back

Go to Ipoh in Malaysia

#6 dadwasathome

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:19 AM

If head back - no shame - but ageee that a side trip could also be good. Malaysia is quite different to Singapore in its own way.

#7 eliza_non

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:20 AM

I’d suggest Hong Kong for a change. It’s easy to get around like Singapore and a similar flight time. There’s Disneyland for the kids.

#8 can'tstayaway

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:29 AM

View PostCharli73, on 12 January 2019 - 08:03 AM, said:

Is there any shame in visiting somewhere again or should I take the kids somewhere completely different? They are 6/7 and can’t go too long in the plane..
I didn’t like the idea of Bali..
No shame at all. Singapore is easy, clean and safe which is perfect when travelling with kids for a cruisey holiday. Sometimes that’s all you need.

The opportunity cost of Singapore vs somewhere else is dependent on whether you will be able to go elsewhere or if it rules out other experiences.

#9 Ellie bean

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:39 AM

No shame at all.

#10 nup

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:57 AM

No shame in Singapore. There's loads of fun to he has there. Have you tried Cebu for beach holiday?

#11 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:08 AM

I would but it was 20 years ago I last went.  If I had gone last year Id probably go elsewhere. But that's just how I am.  Nothing wrong with revisiting somewhere you like.

#12 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:06 AM

Definitely go again. We plan to go again some time this year cause we loved it last time. Visiting a location a second time can be more relaxing as you know what to expect and know what to do and what else to see. We found it a great place for families.

If you’re going to the zoo, bring bathers and towels or you will have to buy some from the tourist shop like we did :lol: it has a great water play area.

#13 zeldazonk

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:10 AM

There is nothing with wrong with visiting a place multiple times if your family loves it. We used to travel to lots of exotic places pre-kids, but now there is something very appealing about visiting a place we've been before - it is familiar and less stressful.  I think it is particular worth it if there are new things to see and do there.

We've been to Singapore twice and are going again later this year. We have also been to Hawaii multiple times but planning another trip in about 2 years for my 40th.

#14 No Drama Please

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:18 AM

I love Singapore, we’ve probably been about five times. We just stay in a different part of town each time if we want to see something new. Kids love it, we love it; safe, clean, great food, loads of hotels, direct flights, easy to get around, fun at night.

#15 Coffeegirl

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:18 AM

I went to the same winter and summer holiday destinations for years with my family when I was a child.    We made ‘summer’ friends who we used to have as pen pals during the winter.  And winter friends who were our summer pen pals.    

#16 ineedmorecoffee

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:26 AM

Slightly off topic but we’ve been to Hawaii 3 times in the last 3.5 years and have noticed that we are starting to get judged for being unimaginative and boring. We love it, find it easy and it works for us.

But I understand the hesitation around revisiting the same place.

#17 night jasmine

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:46 AM

The purpose of a holiday is to enjoy youself, so do whatever works for you. No shame in returning to the same place, just as there’s no shame in never doing a place twice, or roughing it, or traveling in luxury. Travel and what you get from it is a personal thing and it will cost money so spend it on what makes you happy.

And I totally get the appeal of Singapore. It’s safe, family friendly, has fantastic food, and there’s enough to keep every age group amused. Changi alone is satisfying!

#18 lizzzard

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:57 AM

Technically of course there is no ‘shame’ in going back...but I personally have a hard time with it!! There are sooooo many places to experience and I adore exploring new cities. Unfortunately as much as I love almost every place we visit I rarely take the family to anywhere twice. Why not try Vietnam, HK, Japan or Korea?

#19 UniKitty

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:12 PM

View PostNo Drama Please, on 12 January 2019 - 11:18 AM, said:

I love Singapore, we’ve probably been about five times. We just stay in a different part of town each time if we want to see something new. Kids love it, we love it; safe, clean, great food, loads of hotels, direct flights, easy to get around, fun at night.

This is exactly the same as us. Love Singapore! The hawker market food alone is worth the repeat trips.

#20 night jasmine

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:18 PM

View Postlizzzard, on 12 January 2019 - 11:57 AM, said:

Technically of course there is no ‘shame’ in going back...but I personally have a hard time with it!! There are sooooo many places to experience and I adore exploring new cities. Unfortunately as much as I love almost every place we visit I rarely take the family to anywhere twice. Why not try Vietnam, HK, Japan or Korea?
I’m the same, I like to explore and see new things as well. I’m ok with the unknown and winging it, although it’s harder to be spontaneous with kids. We tend to go somewhere new each time. But I know plenty of people for whom a holiday is for relaxing and doing the tried and true, and there’s a lot of comfort and excitement in that as they know what they’re in for.

#21 Lifesgood

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:37 PM

We love Singapore, have been twice and will go again at the end of this year.

I will caveat that by saying we only go to Singapore as a transit holiday on the way to/from Europe, not as an end destination in itself.

#22 *Lena*

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:45 PM

We went last year and plan to go back some time but I am looking at other places to visit first. The Zoo there is AMAZING best zoo I have visited.

#23 seayork2002

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:21 PM

There is so much to aee in any place, we have been 3 times and oonly seen 10% of it ,we will go back and to other places also.

Life is too short to do thinga you dont want too just because

#24 Apageintime

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:35 PM

I too love Singapore. We visited a couple of times pre child and plan on taking the kiddo once he starts school because I think itll be a great school holiday destination!

#25 Mumma3

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:58 PM

View PostUniKitty, on 12 January 2019 - 12:12 PM, said:

This is exactly the same as us. Love Singapore! The hawker market food alone is worth the repeat trips.

Absolutely! Who needs fancy restaurants when you could live happily eating in the hawker market forever!
I love Singapore. Even though it’s hot and humid, it’s
Just a lovely place with so many interesting things to see and do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.