TT potty or toliet?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 nasty buddha

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:02 PM

Hi

I've read lots of other threads (thanks EB for all the knowledge as I now know the difference between day and night time TT) but still have a few questions regarding the logistics of being out and about.

My toddler is using a potty during the day and not having any trouble at home. When I go out, what should I do? Take a potty? Or try sitting on a toliet? Would doing one thing at home and another out and about just add confusion?

My toddler is really small and loves playing with our toliet at home (flushing it etc) I'm not sure I would like my toddler getting so up close to a public toliet. Being two, there is a bit of playing with toliet seats etc. How do I manage this?   Or is my concern  unwarranted?

I also have a baby so unless there is an appropriate toliet for me to bring in a pram, I can't just leave my baby outside the toliet. I guess it will limit where I go.

Should my toddler wear a pull up in case when out and about?

#2 Paddlepop

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:09 PM

Use a toilet. A potty would be a lot of mucking around.

Try finding a parents' room that has a parent and child toilet in it ie full size adult toilet and a little child toilet next to it in the one room/cubicle. There should be enough room for you, the 2yo and the baby in the pram in one of those. Alternatively, see if there's an ambulant toilet cubicle in the women's toilets. They're usually at the far end of the toilets. The door opens outwards so you'll be able to help your 2yo, while easily keeping the door open and keeping an eye on the baby, without people walking past the open door.

Yes to a pull up until you're confident that your child is pretty good at TT. Otherwise take spare clothes for her, including spare shoes and socks, and some cloths to clean up any wee she does on the floor of shops.

#3 alfoil hat

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:19 AM

We take our potty in the car currently and use it in the boot during car trips. Then public toilets when necessary 🤢

#4 EmmDasher

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:25 AM

Try using a toilet. The miniature kids ones are great if you can find them. I had one kid that was a bit anxious about big toilets so I bought a portable toilet seat insert to carry with us to help her feel more secure.

Holding the seat do they don’t fall in - just wash their hands thoroughly and carry sanitizer for when there is no soap.

No parent room - I just wheel the pram into the usual toilets. We push it to the end and I leave the door open while I help the toddler on the toilet so I can see the pram. If I’m desperate I’ve taken bub out and held them and left the pram outside my stall. The odds of anything happening in the one minute I have the door closed to pee is slim and the toddler can survive with the door open.

#5 WaitForMe

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:18 AM

I've known others to carry a portable toilet seat insert, they are pretty small, would fit in a backpack. I've also seen a collapsible potty.

Personally we just used the big toilets, she was generally fine for wees but for poos I'd hold her waist to help her as I found she'd really tense up her body holding herself up. It was awkward but infrequent.

At 2, she probably isn't concerned about privacy yet, so just leave the door open or ajar so you can see the pram.

#6 Drat

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:38 AM

Use a toilet.

Now my 2 year old only wants to use toilets and not potty at all!

I think I took the potty to the beach once when she was first training, but other than that she uses the big toilet all the time. It's good because she isn't 'afraid' of the big toilet as she's used to it at home and out and about.

#7 Future-self

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:40 AM

Your toilet at home has a seat just as foul as a public toilet so you have to teach her not to touch and play with the seats etc. It’s part of the toilet training deal.

I skipped potties altogether - such a hassle to then do a whole seperate process to teach the toilet. But since you’ve done one already at home, do the toilet when out and at other peoples houses. It won’t confuse her and in fact may quicken her ability to use the toilet then at home.
You simply hold her on until she feels confidant.

As for the baby and toddler out and about issue  there are so many places where you’ll go with a family toilet or parents room. And If not- I always just went to a normal cubicle - parked the pram in the doorway facing in with the baby and the toddler used to the toilet. And then pushed  the pram out so i could push the door mostly closed and peed myself . Easy :)

#8 nasty buddha

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:02 PM

View Postalfoil hat, on 11 January 2019 - 06:19 AM, said:

We take our potty in the car currently and use it in the boot during car trips. Then public toilets when necessary

What do you do with the contents?

#9 alfoil hat

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:33 PM

If we are somewhere suitable (country etc) empty it on a tree. If not I put a towel in it. Gross. Just wees at this stage as DD is terrified of poops without nappies at this stage!

#10 ECsMum

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:42 PM

View Postnasty buddha, on 11 January 2019 - 01:02 PM, said:

As pp said if a wee and out of the city - pour it onto the grass.  If a poo - just nappy bagged it and cleaned the potty with a wipe.

#11 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:54 PM

I used a potty. I used to just throw it under the pram or in the car when out and about. If going somewhere without a public toilet and I was worried I’d just use a pull-up that day. Doesn’t hurt for a few hours.

Most big shopping centres have family toilets, so that’s easy. But I’ve left my kids outside a cubicle before while I did a quick wee. (Double pram, didn’t always fit in family toilets) It’s like 2 minutes and they were strapped in the pram. I was more worried about my handbag, so took that in the cubicle with me :lol:

Loved our potty for long road trips, can just pull over and us it any time any place. And both boys transitioned to the big toilet pretty quickly once trained.

View Postnasty buddha, on 11 January 2019 - 01:02 PM, said:

Funnily enough it was rarely used, if ever, but the peace of mind was priceless. But, wees can be thrown under a tree beside the road. Or contents can be thrown in the public toilet if one is nearby. Otherwise treat it as a nappy change, put contents in a nappy, wrap the nappy in a rubbish bag and dispose of it later. Use wipes to clean the potty out. I always took a few spare nappies when toilet training anyway.

#12 nasty buddha

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 11 January 2019 - 03:54 PM, said:

Funnily enough it was rarely used, if ever, but the peace of mind was priceless. But, wees can be thrown under a tree beside the road. Or contents can be thrown in the public toilet if one is nearby. Otherwise treat it as a nappy change, put contents in a nappy, wrap the nappy in a rubbish bag and dispose of it later. Use wipes to clean the potty out. I always took a few spare nappies when toilet training anyway.

Fantastic idea!

#13 AnythingGoes

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:00 AM

We use a potty that converted into a toilet seat insert. As a potty it had little legs that folded down and a plastic lined bag in it - which you would store/dispose like a disposable nappy.

We prettty much only used it as a toilet seat insert because DS was tiny but it was handy having the potty option at times. And because it folded it was easy to carry around.

Think it was this brand https://www.chemistw...lus-online-only

#14 rosie28

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:41 AM

We’ve just taken kids to the toilet when out and about, and carried a potty in the boot of the car just in case (handy at times, particularly for my DD who will not do a tree wee even in an emergency).

#15 Soontobegran

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:42 AM

I took a potty in the car for those moments when we were nowhere near a toilet. Contents were tipped into a bag and disposed of at the next toilet.
Logistically you do what works for you.
Using a toilet when on a 6 hour drive in the country is simply not something many newly trained children can manage.

I also put a nappy on a child who was only just getting the toilet thing going because despite what people tried to tell me it did not ruin the TT process.
A wet child in a wet car seat is not a good thing....avoid at all costs if you think it may happen.

#16 Ellie bean

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:55 AM

My son trained really quickly for wee but really slowly for poo, he wore pull-ups for a good year or so where he would wear it all day, pull it up and down for wee then I’d change him when he pood- worked really well for us as he didn’t feel secure in undies for quite a while for some reason. There’s nothing wrong with wearing nappies while tt in my view

#17 Future-self

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:42 AM

Agree that pull ups are a brilliant invention that IME assist TT rather than thwart it. . The child still controls them but they prevent accidents  on the floor and clothes that can dent confidance.

Most people I know purposely don’t plan 6 hour drives in the country during the few weeks of TT but if caught on a long drive , the bush wee is an invaluable skill for life ;)
If you do drives like that as the norm then I can see how a potty in the boot lined with a nappy would be a good idea.

Edited by Future-self, 12 January 2019 - 10:44 AM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.