• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#51 nup

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:02 AM

View PostSplashingRainbows, on 11 January 2019 - 05:49 AM, said:

Easter?
Christmas?
Church events being raised at news?
So many reasons a little child might regurgitate the things told to them around these times.

4yo girls insane ability to talk non stop from morning to dinner about anything and everything going on in their life (generally - not having a go OP!)

We have a few strongly religious families in our school that I have met over the years. One 7yo from one of the more zealous families is mates with mine and they bring home alot of information about this child's beliefs. The child has been excluded from school performance due to family disapproval of song choice and he has a reputation of being quite intense with the other children around behaviours and beliefs. It's a part of the public experience and can be a positive and a negative depending on how resilient (? starting to loathe the overuse of this word) we are. Perhaps I more mean adaptable.

#52 Hands Up

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:03 AM

If you can’t afford school fees for one child you can’t afford them for four. Pull her out now.

#53 WaitForMe

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:11 AM

I'm curious what religion would get a kid in trouble for sharing.

Or do you just mean kids made fun of her or something? Which is of course wrong, but different to the teachers (or other parents?) saying not to share her beliefs.

#54 cabbage88

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:16 AM

Thanks so much for all the replies every one some great advice here.
A few replies in one-
The school is heavily discounted for other children, so when we have 4 in its $10k. Am amount I'll earn easily when they're all in school, and when the next lot start school I'd cover easily with just putting one in daycare. But yes right now it's killing us, although we've only been paying the last month! Still, an absolute ton of money for us right now.
The car would need an anchor point, or untethered booster but I'm quite worried about how unsafe an untethered booster could be in an accident. But also worried to modify the car (about $500) only to have it die. It's air con has also died, approx  1.5k to fix but we certainly won't be bothering with that.
Car is on gas really cheap to run.
Will certainly look at some older kias!
We are really far removed from schools, etc where we live. It would be very hard to make do without a car but I think we just need to run our current car to the ground, until it dies.
I have been applying for jobs and been very lucky in my industry there's high paying locum jobs available- I may for a short time be able to pick up an extra $700 A week until I get too big. Perhaps can do for 3 more months- that would make a big difference.
But my big concern was what I'm doing wrong, because like many I think I get in my head my non negotiable expenses I can't let go of the and end up in a horrible financial situation because of it. That's some brilliant realistic honest advice here everyone, I really appreciate it.
And on the religious stuff- they teach things like how bunjill (can't spell it?) The eagle made the world, and she's really great at understanding that her friends don't believe what we do. But she came home so many times really sad, because she really wanted to learn and talk about her beliefs too and Christianity is never discussed, only aboriginal and sometimes obscure beliefs (eg American Indians). She's also a really black and white kid, Christmas and Easter caused a lot of conflict for her when she was taught some things we don't do, and she got really distressed when things were said she didn't believe. She keeps saying how she wants to learn about her faith at school, and sing songs about her faith etc. But yes you're right if we're this Tight we have to either earn more or cut the school. But reality is I need a whole extra day of work to pay for it!

#55 EmmDasher

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:18 AM

Edit - sorry just saw your second post.

If you haven’t already, you might want to borrow a copy of the Barefoot Investor. He has a sensible step by step guide that might help you work through your expenses and find some savings.

Edited by EmmDasher, 11 January 2019 - 07:35 AM.

#56 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:25 AM

View PostFuzzyChocolateToes, on 10 January 2019 - 10:17 PM, said:

We had a surprise #4. All the kids go to public schools. Private was not something I even considered with 4 kids.

Can your eldest travel on a non-tethered booster? Could you manage with one car? We have one car,  but we are close to PT.

Why is your electricity bill that high? I've never had a bill that high.

Agree electricity stand out to me as the thing that you might be able to get down most easily.
It sounds like you have 2 cars, can you swap cars or is the other smaller?  Can you reduce your car insurance if your car is old?

Your rent is reasonably high but given you will have 6 people to house its probably good for the size of house you have.

#57 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:28 AM

Deleted as saw from your update you’ll end up being able to pay school fees when you go back to work :)

Edited by No Drama Please, 11 January 2019 - 07:31 AM.

#58 amdirel

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:36 AM

As someone with 3 kids on a low single income, ie totally understanding of your financial situation, I need to point out to you that kids get so much more expensive as they get older!!
When they were younger, finances were tight. Now that they're older, finances are ridiculously stressful! They want a lot, do a lot, eat a lot, clothes/shoes cost more, schooling expenses cost more (BYOD too!). I would really urge you to reconsider the school. If you're having trouble now, it's only going to get worse.

Also re. the car. I've got a sh*tty car too, but unfortunately have no choice to keep spending money getting things fixed here and there, even though I have no doubt it's going to drop dead one day soon. $500 for you is much better than $10k or whatever for a new one IMO.

Edited by amdirel, 11 January 2019 - 07:37 AM.

#59 amdirel

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:40 AM

Re. regilion, she will quickly learn that everyone believes different things and that that is ok. You can't shelter her from that just forever. Also she can do scripture at a public school.

#60 Mollyksy

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:41 AM

Any chance of having a big chat to the school and seeing if theyd loan you the fees until you start work again post baby? I can hear how important it is to you and it sounds like an extended but temporary thing that you can't afford it currently but will later.

Anything you can sell?

I agree with untethered booster right now.

Can DH pick up extra work at all? Even a cleaning or packing shift over the weekend could plug your food gaps.

Do you guys have family support? Any food hampers in your area?

You've already said you'll look for work until you get too big.

All the very best. And congrats on your pregnancy. I couldnt cope with more than one (and 5 years of IVF and 7 miscarriages to get that one) so very awed by sane parents with more than one lol!

#61 AliasMater

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:46 AM

Private school needs to go. It will free up almost $500 a month. Teach your DD to keep her religious views to herself. It will be a skill she will use and need for life.

I think your bills are reasonable. My electricity bill is around $1200 per quarter. I have no idea how I could make it as low as yours. I've tried everything. We have solar too.

I agree with pp about third party car insurance only.

#62 bakesgirls

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:49 AM

I’m going to be blunt.

You can’t afford to properly care for your children if you can’t afford food for them. That can be remedied by dropping the private schooling. Your daughter will just have to learn that there’s more in this word than her/your family beliefs and that’s ok. Deciding that her wanting to talk about her own religion instead of discussing ‘obscure beliefs’ trumps basic necessities has me lost for words.

Saying that you’ll just work more or put a child in daycare, and fees drop to 10k with four kids is in the future and may not ever happen. Kids cost more as they grow, not less. What happens if you can’t find more work? Or if your new child has special needs? Or you or your husband are unable to work due to illness or injury?

Don’t base your decisions now on your hypothetical future. You have other children to consider besides your eldest in the now.

Edited by bakesgirls, 11 January 2019 - 07:56 AM.

#63 IamtheMumma

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:50 AM

If the school is Catholic, they have a fee reduction hardship option that you can apply for. They'll make you'll feel like crap for applying but do it anyway. It is worth your time.

As another poster said, its not just the fees. When my kids went, every week there was some other fundraising from the usually secular ones (jeans for genes, red nose day) to new grass funds, new hall funds or whatever else the school needed. School uniform was close to 1K per kid and the excursions, which wasn't to the local library but to whatever show was on at the theatre.

#64 EmmDasher

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:56 AM

Would it be possible for your daughter to start at a public school and transfer in to your preferred school when her sibling starts and your finances are in a better position? You’d have more certainty about what the future holds then also.

It sounds like your car is approaching end of life and is also kind of critical to your family life. If you could bank that $5k a year for 2-3 years you could probably afford a fairly decent replacement.

I don’t mean to harp on the school fees because I can hear how important that is to you. At the same time it sounds like the only really negotiable point in your budget.

I’d be very worried about your financial security if you’re struggling to get together sufficient food budget at present. I saw your husband’s income is insured but there can be waiting periods before that insurance kicks in with cover. Payouts are not always instantaneous. Would you be able to cover 2, 4, 6 weeks of expenses with no income?

Edited by EmmDasher, 11 January 2019 - 09:53 AM.

#65 Magratte

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:04 AM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 11 January 2019 - 06:41 AM, said:

“how does everyone else afford this?”

well, for many, they don’t. they stop at one kid - two maximum. that’s what they can afford. and they don’t send them to a private school.

Many of my friends would love to have a third child, but cannot afford it. I actually don’t know any family on modest income with more that two kids.

#66 Dianalynch

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:29 AM

I agree with a pp that if your DH has weekends free, a second job eg stacking shelves would pay for groceries. I don't know if you were exaggerating about not being able to feed your family half the time, I hope so, but if it's true then both of you need to get real about your expenses and either earn more or spend less. Private school and new furniture are not priorities.

#67 José

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:44 AM

View Postbakesgirls, on 11 January 2019 - 07:49 AM, said:

I’m going to be blunt.

You can’t afford to properly care for your children if you can’t afford food for them. That can be remedied by dropping the private schooling. Your daughter will just have to learn that there’s more in this word than her/your family beliefs and that’s ok. Deciding that her wanting to talk about her own religion instead of discussing ‘obscure beliefs’ trumps basic necessities has me lost for words.

Saying that you’ll just work more or put a child in daycare, and fees drop to 10k with four kids is in the future and may not ever happen. Kids cost more as they grow, not less. What happens if you can’t find more work? Or if your new child has special needs? Or you or your husband are unable to work due to illness or injury?

Don’t base your decisions now on your hypothetical future. You have other children to consider besides your eldest in the now.

i really agree with this!
i wouldn't choose the religious school just because your child wants to sing religious songs at school.
they could do this in scripture in public school and in sunday school on the weekend.
even religious schools might look at aboriginal culture, surely its part of the national curriculum.
i really think you need to further investigate the public school options you have.
and i dont think you should put your family in such hardship now based on an unknowable future.
can you grantee getting day care and work on the same day? can you guarantee your new baby wont have any developmental or health concerns? can you guarantee you and your DH wont experience any physical or mental health concerns? how will you facilitate any extra curricular or after school activities.?

#68 overlytired

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:47 AM

View Postcabbage88, on 11 January 2019 - 07:16 AM, said:

The car would need an anchor point, or untethered booster but I'm quite worried about how unsafe an untethered booster could be in an accident. But also worried to modify the car (about $500) only to have it die.

(...)
But my big concern was what I'm doing wrong, because like many I think I get in my head my non negotiable expenses I can't let go of the and end up in a horrible financial situation because of it.

Untethered boosters are designed to be used untethered. They are perfectly safe provided your child meets the height and weight requirement for one.

ETA: Certainly safer than modifying the car, which isn't designed for it.

You seem to struggle with needs vs wants, and until you are able to realistically determine what is actually a want (i.e. private school), this will be an ongoing issue.

You mentioned living in a location where a car is a necessity. Is there any option of moving closer to public transport or within walking distance of where you need to be at some point in the future (assuming of course that the cost of living – food & shelter) wouldn't increase? That would reduce your reliance on a car.

Edited by overlytired, 11 January 2019 - 08:48 AM.

#69 robhat

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:48 AM

Most people I know don't have 4 kids. I know a few families who do and both parents work and earn a truckload. Like double what you earn.

You realise that spending 50% of your income on housing is considered to be an almost extreme level of housing stress? I know people who can't afford to rent big houses. They rent 2 bedroom apartments instead and their kids all share one room. You may actually need to rent somewhere smaller, cheaper, even dodgier because that may actually be all you can afford. In fact depending on where you live and what work you do you may need to consider moving to an entirely different place. The city is often not affordable for large families unless they have a good income for afford it.

You may in fact need to seriously lower your standards of what you think is necessary, even if it is only in the short term until you can return to full time work. Schooling is NOT going to get cheaper. Those fees will go up plus there are extras to pay on top. You haven't had a kid go through school yet, but I can tell you that on top of fees there are excursions and camps and then they want you to pay for swimming lessons, gymnastics class, some walk-a-thon thing... Plus you haven't considered any extra curriculars like sports or musical instruments.

And lets be brutally honest here. You need to afford life NOW. Your kids need food NOW. What you can manage in the future is kinda irrelevant. You haven't even had your 4th child yet. What will you do if there are complications or health issues and you can't return to work for a longer time than expected?

In short, the only thing you're doing 'wrong' is having way too high expectations of what is possible with the income you have.

#70 luke's mummu

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:49 AM

I would seriously look at changing all your kids to a public school down the track. We are Christians but believe that our kids need to learn to share, mix and be friends with people from all religions. Because after all that’s what life is like in the real world! Yes you can still take them to church and teach them your beliefs at home.

#71 balletmom4

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:54 AM

We have 6 kids. Husband and I both work full time and earn decent wages. One child will start at university this year and the others still in school. I find it a struggle financially quite often. It all comes down to careful planning. My 3 eldest were enrolled at a Catholic school. However child no 4 ended up being 4, 5 and 6- triplets. So we needed a bigger car, etc and our expenses shot up ridiculously. My point is, that you can't always plan for the future, but need to be aware that you often need a plan B. Changing the children from the Catholic system to the public system was done for the start of the new school year. The kids thrived and we never looked back. It took a few years to get back to our previous financial situation. You need to actively make changes to ensure this happens. You can't have it all at once- needs v's wants need to come into play. Don't look at how you can manage things in the future, look at the now. The hole will only get deeper the longer you are in it. I understand where you are coming from, but you can't sustain your lifestyle at the moment- think of the added expenses of a new baby, updated car, and private schooling. I have been there. Good luck OP xx

#72 Illiterati

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:02 AM

Edited by Illiterati, 24 March 2019 - 02:50 PM.

#73 bikingbubs

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:39 AM

By that logic, your daughter would be going to a private school with nothing in her lunch box for half of the month.

Sometimes wants lose out.  In an ideal world everyone would be able to afford what they want, but needs come first often. I would not be able to justify private schooling if I couldn't afford basics.

#74 BECZ

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:58 AM

View PostNanns, on 11 January 2019 - 08:58 AM, said:

I echo this. My DH had an injury and it was three months before insurance kicked in. We also had extreme medical costs. We were lucky as getting really sick is hard enough without worrying about money. It also affected my income as well as I had to pull back to do more.

He has recovered now but we lost about a year.

I can third this.  When DF's company lost a major contract, he was made redundant.  As he had only been with that company a couple of years, his redundancy was small.
It was probably partially DF's fault for being so soft and just going, "Oh, OK." every time they told him it was still being assessed.  It was over three months and he finally put his foot down and the guy he spoke to that day looked into it and saw no issues, apologised profusely and processed it that day.  The money was in our account 2 hours later.  
Luckily we had savings to get us through these few months.

#75 Serenity Now

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:23 AM

OP I can hear how much you WANT private schooling for your children, however your children NEED food. Please either talk to the school about reducing fees, or move to a public school.

I also hear you on your preference for a tethered seat, however as PP mentioned, untethered seats do meet the safety standards, and would save you more money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.