Reading Challenge 2019

• Please log in to reply
487 replies to this topic

#451 Sancti-claws

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:40 PM

I am starting to think I should start a thread "Started Reading Challenge (but put it down again because....)" - so many books I have started of late that just didn't make it through to the end.

May finish the one I am reading - even though I am pretty sure that I have read it before but at least it isn't in that pile just JUDGING me for not getting to the finish line...

#452 Lunagirl

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:23 AM

#44 Enemy of God - Bernard Cornwell

Sancti-claws, if you let us know what books you've enjoyed lately, we could try to recommend some that would hold your attention.

#453 Lou-bags

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:45 AM

#21 The Rosie Project, Graham Simion (audiobook)

Got this free as an editors pick on audible. Overall I enjoyed it but it was problematic for me at times (a bit sexist and I was uncomfortable with some of the inconsistencies with Don’s character).

Nonetheless I’m considering reading the sequels.

#454 Riotproof

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:24 AM

He does really grow across the sequels.

#455 Lunagirl

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:33 PM

#45 The Testaments - Margaret Atwood

#456 71Cath

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:20 AM

View Post71Cath, on 02 September 2019 - 09:10 AM, said:

#50 Venom by David Crowe - very political, just the way I like it!

I'm quoting myself which is very poor form,  but I hope I'll be forgiven.  I volunteered at the Lifeline Bookfair this weekend, I was on the cash registers.  Who should walk up to my register but David Crowe!  I asked if it was him, he said yes, I told him I loved his book, he was pretty happy.  We had a chat about the book for a few minutes, I said I was sorry I didn't have my copy with me for him to sign.  He said he was sorry he hadn't seen a copy on the book table to buy and give to me.  Meanwhile his wife was giggling at me acting like a fan girl - maybe it doesn't happen often to political journos???

#457 Toomanybooks

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:00 PM

99) Islands by Peggy Frew
100) Red Clocks by Leni Zumas
101) The Testaments by Margaret Atwood
102) The Farm by Joanne Ramos
103) City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert

Edited by Toomanybooks, 16 September 2019 - 10:55 PM.

#458 Sancti-claws

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:18 PM

#44 - Her Husband's Mistake - Sheila O'Flanagan - yay women, we can overcome anything...

#45 - The Queen of Wishful Thinking - Molly Johnson - so fluffy I have forgotten to put this one on the list until I saw it in my library history list...

#47 -City of friends - Joanna Trollope - told you I was in a fluff ditch!  This is the one I had read before but couldn't remember what happened next.  D'oh

#48 - Lily and the Octopus - Stephen Rowley - fun, sad, mad, interesting

#49 - Troll Hunting - Ginger Gorman - not fluff

#459 Lou-bags

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:15 AM

#22 Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury (audiobook- read by Tim Robbins).

For the popsugar prompt ‘a book with at least 1 million ratings on goodreads’

#460 71Cath

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:11 AM

#51 the new Jeffrey Archer "Nothing Ventured"  An easy read.

#461 monet

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:32 AM

#46 The Last Houseguest - Megan miranda

#462 Jane Jetson

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:06 PM

# 68: Greg Keen – Soho Angel
This is a fun series. Blokey, nostalgic, set in London, PI crime stuff. This one held up well against the previous two.

#69: Forgotten Bones – Vivian Barz
I quite like paranormal/speculative + crime stories. This is not the best example of the genre, but it's fun nonetheless. I like that the guy with schizophrenia is the perfectly sensible protagonist and good guy, not the badly sketched villain.

#70: I Know Who You Are – Alice Feeney
Oh well, that was cheerful. One of those British thrillers that Amazon has for daily or monthly deals, and I buy a few that sound interesting, and the ones that I can get into early on, usually get read. This one was good with the hook, but not very nice. Another Big Book Of Triggers.

#71: The Better Sister – Alafair Burke
More great work from this author. I do like her stuff. One of three in a series exploring relationships - particularly difficult relationships - between women and men, apparently. She's done it well.

#72: Dead Blondes and Bad Mothers – Sady Doyle
I read the living crap out of this in two days and would have loved for it to have been three times as long. I also very firmly recommend her previous book, Trainwreck, about "difficult" women in history.

#73: Rubber Necker – Belinda Bauer
Belinda Bauer is becoming my second banana default "I want to switch my brain off and just read" author. This is worrying, as I now think I've read most of her books. Anyway, I did like that the hero of the story was a guy with autism. I'm not sure how realistically he was portrayed but points I guess for not making the character with autism a creepy murderer. I'd be interested to hear what people with autism/their parents think here. I dunno, he seemed a bit too baffled by the rest of humanity, but I might be talking out my a*se here.

#74: Dark Side – Belinda Bauer
Even less cheerful than the last one.

#75: The Institute – Stephen King
So, when I've been reading loads of awful stuff, time for some Stephen King! He's gotten much better about the misogyny, hasn't he?

#76: Fixed It – Violence and the Representation of Women in the Media – Jane Gilmore
This was so, so good. As a journo I have been watching Gilmore's work for a long time. I do not pretend to be perfect, and it's rare that I report on gendered crime, but she had already influenced me to be more careful about my reporting, and this book cemented this very well. I strongly recommend it.

#77: The Beautiful Dead – Belinda Bauer
Maybe I should start reading something nicer with no murders in it? I don't know. This one was good. It made me glad I'm not a mainstream journo, that's for sure.

#463 Toomanybooks

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:55 PM

104) Whipbird by Robert Drewe

#464 Sancti-claws

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:58 AM

#50 - A Prayer for Travelers - Ruchika Tomar

And enjoyable book to read - quirky characters sketched out, incongruous timeline - but again, ran out of steam and ending was not quite hope...

#465 Lunagirl

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:34 AM

#46 Excalibur - Bernard Cornwell

#466 Toomanybooks

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:17 PM

105) The Language of Birds by Jill Dawson

#467 71Cath

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:22 AM

I thought #52 would be The Tiger Catcher by Paullina Simon, but I tossed it.  Dreadful.  I normally love her work so I was disappointed.

#468 hills mum bec

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:59 AM

#27/45 The Mister - EL James

If you took the explicit sex scenes out it would be half as long.  Pretty poorly written but I did enjoy the plot.

#469 71Cath

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:06 PM

#52 The Nanny by Gilly Macmillan. Very light read.

#470 Lunagirl

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:40 PM

#47 Ballet Shoes - Noel Streatfeild. Fun kids book.

#471 Toomanybooks

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:34 AM

106) Doxology by Nell Zink

#472 hills mum bec

Posted 26 September 2019 - 04:06 PM

#28/45 Hush Hush - James Patterson & Candice Fox

#473 Weavile

Posted 26 September 2019 - 04:59 PM

I'm slowly plodding along. I won't make my goal so I've stopped counting.

Finished: Jurasic Park
Started: The Testaments

#474 Lou-bags

Posted 26 September 2019 - 05:04 PM

#23 Orpheus Lost, Janet Turner Hospital (audiobook read by Edwina Wren)

For the retelling of a classic pop sugar prompt

Can’t decide how to feel about this one. Liked some of it, hated much of it. It’s problematic in some ways too- stereotypes etc. I need someone else to read it so I can process my thoughts with them haha

Edited to add that I’ve just read a review on goodreads that has crystallized my thoughts for me. I gave it 2/5

Edited by Lou-bags, 26 September 2019 - 05:13 PM.

#475 Toomanybooks

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:40 AM

107) The Fish Girl by Mirandi Riwoe

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.