Pop sugar reading challenge

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 Riotproof

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:12 AM

I wonder if anyone is interested in doing this. I’m tempted.

https://www.popsugar...e-2019-45603825

#2 rollinginthepages

Posted 30 December 2018 - 06:53 PM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:36 PM.

#3 Riotproof

Posted 30 December 2018 - 07:45 PM

My first reaction was the same.

I think the idea is to go out and find new authors, new genres .. mix it up a little. The good reads group has lots of ideas for pretty much every category too.

#4 Riotproof

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:22 AM

And in terrific news, the first book I want to read this year is a debut novel.

#5 Mishu

Posted 01 January 2019 - 01:23 PM

This looks good, I might do this

#6 OscarAndTilly

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:59 PM

This looks interesting and a way to expand my reading and find new authors etc.

#7 seayork2002

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:08 PM

I have so much on my Kindle I doubt I will be able to do the whole thing but will try as I love this idea.

I will probably cheat and if I have read any that apply in the last year or so I will add them.

#8 Riotproof

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:14 PM

So, to try and keep myself accountable, here is the list with what I’ve read or think I’m might read listed.

1. A book becoming a movie in 2019 - The sun is also a star - fantastic. Caught all the young adult angst and the immigration stuff was eye opening.
2. A book that makes you nostalgic - Finders Keepers - really liked reading this.
3. A book written by a musician (fiction or nonfiction) The bad beginning by Lemony Snicket
4. A book you think should be turned into a movie how to be second best
5. A book with at least one million ratings on Goodreads Percy Jackson and the lightning thief.
6. A book with a plant in the title or on the cover The unexpected education of Emily Dean by Mira Robertson.
7. A reread of a favorite book possessions by Judith Michael
8. A book about a hobby
9. A book you meant to read in 2018 - Shell by Kristina Olsson 🤔
10. A book with POP, SUGAR, or CHALLENGE in the title
11. A book with an item of clothing or accessory on the cover - Deenie by Judy Blume
12. A book inspired by myth/legend/folklore
13. A book published posthumously suite Francaise
14. A book you see someone reading on TV or in a movie ??
15. A retelling of a classic the beasts garden
16. A book with a question in the title is everyone hanging out without me by Mindy Kaliningrad
17. A book set on college or university campus the scholar by Derbka mctiernan
18. A book about someone with a superpower the power Naomi Alderman
19. A book told from multiple POVs ??
20. A book set in space the first one by Becky someone
21. A book by two female authors - the silver well by Kate Forsyth and Kim Wilkins
22. A book with SALTY, SWEET, BITTER, or SPICY in the title - Bitter Greens
23. A book set in Scandinavia something crime
24. A book that takes place in a single day - night of the jabberwock by Frederic Brown
25. A debut novel-  Boy Swallows Universe
26. A book that's published in 2019 - The Rosie Result by Graeme Simsion ❤️
27. A book featuring an extinct or imaginary creature - Fantastic beasts screenplay. :wub:
28. A book recommended by a celebrity you admire ?
29. A book with LOVE in the title Love and Punishment by Wendy Harmer 🙃
30. A book featuring an amateur detective - murder most unladylike
31. A book about a family - Life after Life Kate Atkinson. Good but I wanted more.
32. A book author from Asia, Africa, or South America - the guest cat by Takashi Hiraide or temporary people by Deepak Unnikrishnan
33. A book with a zodiac sign or astrology term in title - where the shadows lie by Michael Ridpath
34. A book that includes a wedding ?
35. A book by an author whose first and last names start with the same letter Monica mcinerney A taste for it.
36. A ghost story
37. A book with a two-word title Still Alice by Lisa Genova
38. A novel based on a true story Unbreakable Threads by Emma Adams
39. A book revolving around a puzzle or game Bring me back by BA Paris. Good with many flaws.
40. Your favorite prompt from a past POPSUGAR Reading challenge - Audiobook The Fragments by Toni Jordan

Edited by Riotproof, 08 June 2019 - 11:13 AM.

#9 seayork2002

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:22 PM

2 female authors

The wife between us

and there is one I read set a bit in a English university where there was 2 main female characters I was given on Netgalley but i can't find it - would have been 2014-2016 I think?

I think it had two female authors

Edited by seayork2002, 08 January 2019 - 03:22 PM.

#10 OscarAndTilly

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:19 PM

Well disappeared down a rabbit hole today aka signed up to Goodreads.

Looks like a great time waster oops I mean site.

#11 Future-self

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:44 PM

I really like your list RP!
I might give it a go too.
Hoping the two I’ve already got in line fit somewhere

#12 Riotproof

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:43 PM

Oh thanks Future self.

the goodreads group is good to join becuase they have a thread on each prompt.
I do want to read more Australian books as well, plus read my to be read shelf.
I also aim to make use of the library as well, though I will buy some if I need to.

In case anyone is looking for a college set book, Normal People by Sally Rooney would fit. I started it last year, so I didn’t count it, but it was a beautifully written book. Not pretty characters, realistically ugly in that they don’t always make the best choices but still very charming.

#13 Riotproof

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

I finished Finders Keepers, and the sun is also a star was also a quick, enthralling read.

#14 Fourteenyears

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:32 AM

So far this year I’ve knocked off

Book featuring someone with a super power:  Lathe of Heaven by Ursula Le Guin

Book featuring an amateur detective:  Report for Murder by Val McDirmid

Book recommended by a celebrity:  Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (as recommended by Barack Obama).

And I am currently reading a book with a two word title:  Lethal White by JK Rowling.

Edited by Fourteenyears, 20 January 2019 - 11:35 AM.

#15 unicycle

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:58 AM

18. The Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness. It's three books but really compelling.

it also fits into 1 and 20

#16 Riotproof

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:10 PM

Bring me back by BA Paris. I’m inclined to put it under 39. Though I do think it’s a stretch. I also think it would probably be a better movie than book.

#17 rollinginthepages

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:41 AM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:50 PM.

#18 Lunagirl

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:47 PM

I've put myself down for 50 books on the reading challenge thread and I want to do this one too.

I have a bunch of books in my TBR pile, so I'm going to read them and hope they fit, then pick new ones based on the prompts.

It's been a 50/50 strike rate so far after reading two books. 'The Final Empire' by Brandon Sanderson fits the superhero prompt, but Milkman didn't apply to any.

#19 Fourteenyears

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:32 PM

lettyraines, The Power is a great choice for the superpower prompt. (It was one of the last books I read last year).

I wasn’t looking forward to that prompt as superheroes aren’t my thing, but I covered it by accident in my second book of the year anyway!

#20 Lunagirl

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:28 PM

My list so far:

1. A book becoming a movie in 2019

2. A book that makes you nostalgic

3. A book written by a musician (fiction or nonfiction)

4. A book you think should be turned into a movie - Milkman by Anna Burns

5. A book with at least one million ratings on Goodreads

6. A book with a plant in the title or on the cover

7. A reread of a favourite book

8. A book about a hobby

9. A book you meant to read in 2018

10. A book with POP, SUGAR, or CHALLENGE in the title

11. A book with an item of clothing or accessory on the cover

12. A book inspired by myth/legend/folklore

13. A book published posthumously

14. A book you see someone reading on TV or in a movie

15. A retelling of a classic

16. A book with a question in the title

17. A book set on college or university campus

18. A book about someone with a superpower - The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

19. A book told from multiple POVs - Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty. This one definitely qualifies. I think there were 12 POVs in the end. I felt like we spent too much time with some characters who weren't very compelling (cough, Frances) at the expense of other characters. But overall it was fun.

20. A book set in space

21. A book by two female authors

22. A book with SALTY, SWEET, BITTER, or SPICY in the title

23. A book set in Scandinavia

24. A book that takes place in a single day

25. A debut novel

26. A book that's published in 2019

27. A book featuring an extinct or imaginary creature

28. A book recommended by a celebrity you admire

29. A book with LOVE in the title

30. A book featuring an amateur detective

31. A book about a family

32. A book author from Asia, Africa, or South America

33. A book with a zodiac sign or astrology term in title

34. A book that includes a wedding

35. A book by an author whose first and last names start with the same letter

36. A ghost story

37. A book with a two-word title

38. A novel based on a true story

39. A book revolving around a puzzle or game

40. Your favorite prompt from a past POPSUGAR Reading challenge

Edited by Lunagirl, 24 January 2019 - 07:29 PM.

#21 Lunagirl

Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:26 AM

4. A book you think should be turned into a movie - Milkman by Anna Burns

18. A book about someone with a superpower - The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

19. A book told from multiple POVs - Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty

35. A book by an author whose first and last names start with the same letter - Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

This book could have gone in multiple categories, but I've got other books in mind for some of the categories, and I feel like it's cheating to count this as a book by an author from Asia, given he moved to America when he was 12.

#22 Riotproof

Posted 27 January 2019 - 04:43 PM

So for book about a family, Life after Life by Kate Atkinson. I wanted more from it, but I do think the concept is so different. Like a bit of time travel, and reincarnation is a similar idea when you’re landing in the same place.

Next up is Shell by Kristina Olsson for one I wanted to read in 2018, unless I can stick it somewhere else.

Edited by Riotproof, 27 January 2019 - 04:45 PM.

#23 Riotproof

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:52 AM

This link might help with one published in 2019. The January ones are mostly last year, I think.

https://www.booktopi...g-forward-2019/

Edited by Riotproof, 28 January 2019 - 08:52 AM.

#24 Riotproof

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:10 PM

9. Book you meant to read in 2018 Shell by Kristina Olsson. The writing was very evocative, so much beautiful prose. I felt like I would have loved it more if I’d read it more solidly, as it did seem to drag a little at the end. But overall, it was a really interesting read and I’m glad I read it.

#25 Riotproof

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:01 PM

A book with love in the title.. Love and punishment by Wendy Harmer. Very enjoyable quick read. I felt it suffered a bit from shallow characterisation, but it is chick lit so that’s kind of standard. Was enjoyable, loved the ending.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.