Children attending different schools

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Silver Girl

Posted 28 December 2018 - 06:46 PM

DS is at a primary school which we’re happy with. However, we are thinking of sending DD to a different school as it will likely suit her needs better for a few reasons.

My concern ATM is logistics. If your kids attend different schools, how do you manage dropping them off and picking them up when they’re due at two locations at the same time? Do you take one early and use before school care, for example? (DH and I both work and use before/after care already.)

How do you manage 2 separate lots of school newsletters, permission slips etc?

Any hints for managing this scenario?

#2 AxeTheMax

Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:35 PM

I have had three at different schools for the last 3 years plus myself teaching at a different school. It is a challenge at times but you learn to work with it. Some of the things that have help with organisation:

* We have a long tall skinny bookcase and each one of us, including DH, has a pigeon hole. All notes go in here, as well as other things! We also have a notice board.

* Any time we get informed of an event it goes straight onto the calendar - Google calendar that is linked to both DH and my phones

* School Facebook pages are set so notifications are sent if anything is posted

In regards to getting the boys to school  our situation is as bit different. As our youngest gets government transport due to being in a Autism Class. We did move during last term where we had to work a few things out, but you end up making it work.

Hope that helps :)

#3 WTFJerk

Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:37 PM

Been doing it for 5 years.  6 more to go!

I don’t work, usually.

When I did work I had both the kids in OOHSC.  one in both before and after, the other dump and bolt to work in the morning, aftercare in the arvo.

When I don’t work I drop DD off as early as I can, DS gets to school 10 mins late.  Then I picked DS up 10 mins early and got DD as late as I could.  Sometimes I wouldn’t make it and I’d pick her up from the office.  Sometimes I’d have to call on others to get her.

#4 Heather11

Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:46 PM

For two years I had children at 3 different schools and then two at high school and one at primary.  Next year I will finally be back to one.The two primary schools actually started and ended at different times.  One started at 8.35 and the other 9am.  I was able to drop the first one off by 8.20 and then easily get to the other school.  Same for the afternoon.  Pick up one at 3pm and then go to the other for pick up at 3.30pm.If you are doing BSC/ASC wouldn't you just drop off and pick up one before the other?In regard to notices etc, fill them out and pay them as they come in.  I then write any excursions etc on the calendar and in the diary.You are going to encounter it eventually when one goes to HS anyway.

ETA:

I have had three at different schools for the last 3 years plus myself teaching at a different school.

Oh yeah, I too worked at a 4th school.

Edited by Heather11, 28 December 2018 - 07:53 PM.

#5 barrington

Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:52 PM

We only did three years of two different schools, as we waited for DS to get a spot at DD1's school.  I worked closer to DD1's school, so on work days would drop DS to BSC then DD1 to school and DD2 to childcare.  On non-work days, I would do childcare, DD1 as soon as supervison started, then DS.  DS also spent a night every week with my mum, as she lived close to his school.  

Honestly, the paperwork was a breeze compared to the logistics of getting them to/from school.

#6 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:52 PM

I did 2 schools plus preschool at at third place at once. Currently have kids at 2 schools but across 3 campuses (so still seperate notices, newsletters etc).

TBH you just deal. Luckily my eldest has a fear if being late so he is dropped off at the earliest time possible, then the next one is dropped off and the final child.

For pickup sometimes I was late. Depending on child and location I would call the school (or friend who is usually hanging around the playground after pickup) to wait and keep an eye on child until I arrived.

#7 ballogo

Posted 28 December 2018 - 10:41 PM

I have the two eldest at one high school, the youngest going to a different high school and a ballet school and myself at a third school.

Except when we had all three in Primary School (for about three years) we've always been at different destinations.

1. Children are responsible for getting themselves to school ie. public transport, bike or a mixture of public transport and walking. Next year when our youngest starts at a different high school she may be driven by me as it is on my way, however she is capable of getting herself there.  She also has to walk from the high school to her ballet school three days a week.  One day a week she'll catch the bus to my school and the other day she'll get herself home by public transport.

2. For the past few years DH was able to move his hours to be earlier so he was generally home around 4pm to be present (I say that, as there is a general lack of supervision by him - it's essentially four children at home together...). This isn't as necessary as the kids get older, but I still like an adult in the house if possible.

3. All three schools at (one stage) used COMPASS making it easy to manage notifications etc.  Next year there is a different platform for our youngest who is going to a different high school, but it just is what it is.

4. Google Calendars is used for all activities, and as each child has gained a device this is much easier with everyone using a calendar to schedule and sync activities.

School is the least of our concerns!  It's the activities - ballet, choir, piano lessons, school production, bike riding, footy/cricket, youth group, boys' group at church, girls' group at church, music group at church, 4WD group... etc.  Particularly the final month of school where in three weeks we attended: a ballet concert, a choir performance, my school's Christmas concert, Grade 6 Graduation and one high school presentation night.

#8 dadwasathome

Posted 29 December 2018 - 08:34 AM

Our boys are 5 school years apart. Eldest would catch the bus to his primary school (DP would drop youngest at his school then walk eldest to the bus stop at the railway station then head to work).

Eldest would then catch the bus back to our suburb and go to aftercare at youngest’s school. On Friday’s I’d pick eldest up then rush back (15 mins diff between schools) to get youngest.

#9 Silver Girl

Posted 29 December 2018 - 12:31 PM

Thanks all. That information helps a lot. 3 kids at different schools + working at a 4th sounds next level complicated - if people can manage that, I’m sure I can deal with two.

I like the idea of DS attending after care at DD’s school - dadwasathome, was your youngest’s OOSH provider happy to sign the eldest in?

Another related question - at what age did your kids make their own way to school and home and be home alone for around an hour before/after school?

#10 dadwasathome

Posted 29 December 2018 - 01:03 PM

View PostSilver Girl, on 29 December 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

I like the idea of DS attending after care at DD’s school - dadwasathome, was your youngest’s OOSH provider happy to sign the eldest in?

Another related question - at what age did your kids make their own way to school and home and be home alone for around an hour before/after school?

It was the eldest’s scholl until yr5. They were happy to have him, and even offered to meet him at the bus stop and bring him to OOSHC.

Yr7 before he was regularly home alone after school.

#11 Heather11

Posted 29 December 2018 - 04:00 PM

We were in a very similar situation to AxeTheMax whereby my middle child could access subsidized transport funding due to him being in a special option class.  For 12 months he caught the taxi to my youngest's school and attended OSHC 3 afternoons and I met the taxi and the youngest's school the other two.

He had previously attended the school so the staff knew him and were happy to do it.  They had 3 other children who were either past students now at HS or siblings of students at the school who also were dropped at the OSHC.  OSHC staff sign in all students in the afternoon so it would be no different for someone coming from outside the site.

#12 ballogo

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:05 AM

View PostSilver Girl, on 29 December 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

This varied for each child.

When they were all Grade 2, 4 and 6 they rode the short distance to and from home altogether.

When the eldest went to high school the Grade 3 and 5 rode together.  My Year 7 took the bus, train and bus to school.

The last two years:
- the eldest (Year 9 and then 10) would take the bus and walks
- our middle child (Year 7 and then 8) rides to school
- the youngest (Year 5 and then 6) rode or took the bus to school.  This year she learned to take the bus from school to ballet which involved a transfer to a second bus.

It was not necessarily planned but rather responsive to our family's needs at the time.

#13 Kreme

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:17 AM

We moved our DD to a new school for year 3. At first we were going to leave our DS at the old school but then they offered him a place and we took it.

I am so glad we did. The reasons we chose the school for DD were also true for DS. And having them together for primary school was lovely, as well as convenient. They played in the same orchestra for much of the last 4 years and I only had to attend one sports day, swimming carnival etc.

DD is now off to high school and they will never be at school together again which makes me quite sad.

Edited by Kreme, 30 December 2018 - 12:18 AM.

#14 2bundles

Posted 01 January 2019 - 03:21 PM

Mine went to separate primary schools and are now together for high school.
We were fortunate that DD’s school started earlier.   After school we were just late for one. Usually DD, as her school had plenty of people still around until 3.30.  
It was a bit annoying but worth it to have them both in the right place.
I am definitely enjoying them both being together for high school.

#15 Charli73

Posted 01 January 2019 - 05:37 PM

My two are at different primary schools as of a few weeks ago... so far so good.

They attend the same OSH club and one gets walked to the other school as they are close to each other so I only have one drop off and one pick up.

Notices and letters go on a pin board on separate sides and as soon as I get a notice I action it or put it on the calendar.

I figured high school they would be apart anyway and we’re pretty organized so no dramas here as yet.

#16 liveworkplay

Posted 01 January 2019 - 06:20 PM

I am now going to have them all at the  one school, but did have 2 at one and 1 at another plus I worked at a third.  My eldest catches public transport (and takes her 9 year old sister with her now that we have moved her) Before we moved the youngest, the middle child and the youngest would leave when Dh left and walk to school. Same ting in reverse at the ed of the day.

As for notices etc, both our schools (and my workplace) have electronic communication platforms so notices, permission etc all get done through them. The only annoying thing is different sports carnivals, student free days , photo days etc and having to remember all that and try to get to them (I work as well)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.