Incompetent cervix or infection?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mulli89

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:53 AM

So the last week has been pretty awful and I haven’t been able to stop wondering what went wrong. I’d love to have any advice from women that miscarried from an incompetent cervix or infection, to see if the story matches better with one or the other. It’s going to be a bit of a long post.

I was 16.5 weeks pregnant and everything was looking perfect on scans (done at 5,7,12 and 15 weeks due to some spotting). On Thursday last week I had my first midwife appointment and they heard the heartbeat and she even felt the baby move which she was surprised about but I’d been feeling him since 14 weeks so I wasn’t!

On Friday night I went to the toilet and felt something shift down there, moving downwards. I had a little feel and could feel something like a water balloon right at the entrance of my vagina. I called the number the midwives had given me and the lady on the other end just said that she had never heard of this water balloon feeling (having since googled it and found so many people describing the same feeling the night before their waters broke I feel like she was hopeless). She said if there was no pain or cramping then don’t worry about it.

Next morning I woke up to find my waters had broken and we went to emergency, were taken immediately to the birthing suite and after a doctor had checked, he said my waters had broken, I was 5cm dilated and would have to deliver the baby. It could take a couple of days for labour to start and I just had to wait in hospital until it happened. They took me down for a scan and baby was moving with a perfect heartbeat. That was hard to see. My temperature was taken and it was normal.

By the end of the day, of course, my DH and I were both distraught and exhausted from crying all day and I still had zero signs of labour. Being my first baby and sitting in the birthing suite listening to women scream with full term deliveries I was terrified of having to go through it all and not have anything to show for it. I’d also been reading about women who have a proper labour at this stage, 4-20 hours. I asked the doctor whether he could knock me out and do it all for me (D&C) or at the very least, induce me to get it over with. He said because the baby was alive he couldn’t do anything to help.

At about 11pm they gave me some sleeping pills and checked my temperature. Temp was 39, blood pressure and pulse were sky rocketing. They put me on a drip of antibiotics immediately and said that because I had an infection, it was now a life threatening situation for me which meant they were allowed to induce even though baby was still alive. They checked my cervix again and it was back down to 2cm. They gave me some pills and at about 2:45am contractions started, gave birth at 3:15am. We chose not to look at or name him but they told us it was a boy. The placenta came naturally which they told me in the morning was very lucky because a D&C with a raging infection would’ve been very risky.

The next morning they said that they couldn’t say whether it was the infection that brought on pre-term labour, or an incompetent cervix that had been open for a little while and let an infection in. Either way next time my pregnancy will be monitored closely and to be honest I don’t know which diagnosis I would prefer.

They kept me in hospital in the maternity ward until Tuesday to try to make sure the antibiotics were working. The microbiology results came back and found a multi resistant form of E. coli in the placenta, the baby and on my swabs. The doctors treated it very seriously when they got that result, suddenly everyone had to wear gown and mask to come into the room, big biohazard signs everywhere etc.

Anyway as I said, I’m interested to hear from anyone with a similar experience. I feel so unlucky that this happened to us, nobody in my circle of friends or family have ever had a severe pre term birth or second trimester miscarriage so it really was a bolt from the blue. It’s been a traumatic experience. We will be meeting with the doctors again in jan to get the full results from baby’s autopsy and to put together a treatment plan for next time.

#2 MrsT2018

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:10 AM

Hi Mulli, I'm so sorry you went through this. Losing my baby is the hardest thing I've ever gone through. It was also traumatic, though in different ways.

I don't think I had either of those issues you ask about - however I do understand the need to know what went wrong, as here I was talking about it again last night with DH, bringing up other possibilities (almost 6mths later).

All I can say is it sounds like you may get a definitive answer and I hope that helps you emotionally and for your future.

It's a really tough, long journey. Use all the support you can to get through.

Big hugs to you x

#3 elmo_mum

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:21 AM

hi muli89

happy for you to pm me
you are not alone, there is a large supportive community for ic ladies

#4 Riotproof

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:22 AM

Mulli, I’m so sorry that happened to you. I experienced very similar with my 2nd pregnancy and did go on to have a successful (though premature) pregnancy.

Can I recommend you join the group Incompetent cervix Australia on Facebook when you’re ready? They have lots of advice and really do get it.

#5 daisy007

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:46 AM

I’m so sorry you had to go through that, it must have been incredibly hard. Be kind to yourself and give yourself time to heal, you and your husband have had a hell of a time.
I don’t have any insight into that situation but do look into the support groups others have mentioned, they can be a fantastic support and get what you are going through.

#6 hills mum bec

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:57 AM

I'm so sorry you had to go through this.  I will send you a PM.

#7 taters

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:59 AM

Mulli I am so sorry to hear this. You were so kind to me when I posted about my miscarriage. Sending so much love your way at this terribly sad time xoxo

#8 mulli89

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:08 AM

Hi all thank you for your very kind replies and advice. I’ll definitely join the IC support groups - based on your replies and an appointment with my doctor yesterday it does sound like that’s what happened. She’s given me a referral to the OB that the midwives all recommended so I’ll see if I can get an appt with him in January as well for more guidance.
I’m flying to Europe tomorrow for a pre planned white Christmas holiday with my mum so hopefully that helps me take my mind off all of this and puts some distance between me and all the memories I keep reliving from the last 7 days.

#9 #YKG

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:54 PM

Mulli I’m sorry.

Honestly I did similar, I had a still birth, when I got clearance I flew to UK & US for a month, it did wonders to get distance and able to deal with everything without anyone hovering.

Hope you are doing ok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.