Diane Pill for PMS?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 ERipley

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:44 AM

Has this worked for anyone?

I get awful PMS and have been diagnosed with Adenomyosis. My Gynaecologist suggested the Mirena but she said it can make the PMS even worse, and I don’t want to risk that as it’s already pretty bad.

She prescribed the Diane because I still get hormonal acne (38 years old) and she said it’s quite gentle so should even out the emotions and will hopefully lighten periods, or at least I can skip them to get on with life a bit. There’s talk if an ablation in the future so this would be mostly for dealing with the PMS really.

Anyone had any experience with this situation?

#2 Mollycoddle

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:09 AM

Following.  Shocking PMS and horrendous periods (think towels on the bed and a few changes of incontinence pads nightly for the whole 6-7 days).  I have an appointment on 15 December to find out what my options are, I would love the Depo as it used to eliminate periods altogether for me (was on it for 5-10 years before kids) but at my age (41) and the associated concerns about brittle bones I don't think they'd put me on it.

Thanks for a apprising me of what an endometrial ablation is, just googled and it doesn't sound pretty lol!

Edited by Mollycoddle, 05 December 2018 - 11:39 AM.

#3 Crazyone26989

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:43 AM

Diane is well known for causing blood clots and I wouldn't consider it gentle as I'm fairly sure it has a large dose of hormones. It is potentially going to be banned from what I've read. I went off it about 5 years ago due to the blood clot risk.

Sorry don't have any advice on the rest!

Edited by Crazyone26989, 05 December 2018 - 11:45 AM.

#4 Cimbom

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:55 AM

I've just come off Estelle (generic brand of Diane) after 15 years and feel much better mentally and emotionally than when I was on it. I originally went on it for horrendous period pains and it helped with that a lot but I doubt it'd do anything positive for your mood or emotions. I would probably look into the possible causes of this (if it could be more than just normal PMS) rather than just going for a quick fix that could cause other issues

#5 ERipley

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:51 PM

Cimbom, did you start using something different?

I am curious about other ways to deal with PMS. Some people say they have Prozac just for those few days, others say they manage ok with good diet and relaxation techniques but I’m a SAHM to 2 yr old twins and a very needy 5yo. My son kept me up until after 10 last night. I never ever get a break so all that natural stuff isn’t really available to help. People say Angus Castus so I could try that again. But then if I don’t go on the pill I need to step up the ablation because the constant blood loss and resulting iron deficiency is also really getting me down.

Ugh, I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to miss out on the marvellous highs of having this wonderful family because i’m Trying to manage the lows.

#6 Cimbom

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:14 PM

No I'm not on anything at the moment. I can't provide much advice on PMS specifically but perhaps have a chat to a gynaecologist to see what they suggest, especially with regards to the heavy bleeding as well. Have you always had these issues with PMS? If not, it could be something like depression that's being exacerbated by your other symptoms. I hope you can find a solution that works for you :)

#7 ERipley

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:18 PM

Thanks Cimbom, it’s the gynaecologist who has suggested Diane as a solution.

#8 ceeshell

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:42 PM

I found Yaz to be very good for PMDD. it's one of only two brands that have been clinically trailed for debilitating PMS (the other is Zoely, which didn't work for me at all) My moods were amazing when I was on it. Though it completely stole my sex drive.

#9 KACM

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:50 PM

It worked for me. I was originally on it in my 20's for acne, but a side-effect was I was happy ALL THE TIME! I hadn't been on the pill for years and years until my Dr put me back on Diane to help with heavy periods - which it did - about 18 months ago. The happiness side-effect wasn't as pronounced this time, but I think it did help with my one "teary" day per month. Unfortunately, my Doc has just taken me off it again due to high blood pressure - so do be careful.

#10 Mollycoddle

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:55 PM

View PostCimbom, on 05 December 2018 - 11:55 AM, said:

I would probably look into the possible causes of this (if it could be more than just normal PMS) rather than just going for a quick fix that could cause other issues

With me I'm almost 100% sure it's PMS, I feel absolutely murderous and will break into tears over every little thing only during that one week before my period.  I've been charting it for a few months now.

Thanks for the advice on the Diane, though.

#11 Sara.xoxo

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:26 PM

I tried Diane for heavy periods and I became in the words of my now husband ‘a homicidial, raging bi**h. Honestly didn’t work for me at all. Switched to Evelyn which brought me back to my normal. After the birth of my DS my gynaecologist suggested the mirena which was wonderful.

#12 Mollycoddle

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:55 PM

View Postceeshell, on 05 December 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

My moods were amazing when I was on it. Though it completely stole my sex drive.

Lol the latter wouldn't worry me at all, nothing doing there!

#13 Manicmum

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:32 PM

I think that’s the one the go gave to me... made my boobs huge.. I quite after 3 weeks because they hurt too much.

Doxycycline for the acne.

I put up with the PMS.

#14 ERipley

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:56 PM

View Postceeshell, on 05 December 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

I found Yaz to be very good for PMDD. it's one of only two brands that have been clinically trailed for debilitating PMS (the other is Zoely, which didn't work for me at all) My moods were amazing when I was on it. Though it completely stole my sex drive.

I was hoping my sex drive would come back if I wasn’t in such a foul mood all the time. I think it’s probably just all tied up with feeling well physically and I don’t feel that way. I wish I had time to exercise, plan meals, cook whatever I want, but I’m about to bath two toddlers who got filthy jumping in mud at the park then will probably order in because my partner is late from work yet again.

#15 nom_de_plume

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:57 PM

I have shocking PMS.

My GP won’t prescribe Diane due to known issues with blood clots.

I am on a low dose of Zoloft for PMS and Doxycycline for hormonal acne/rosacea/dermatitis (my skin is a mess). The Doxycycline is a 3 month script. If it’s improved by then (which it looks as though it will be) then I can stop it, otherwise I need to be on it for another 3 months. The Zoloft I will stay on indefinitely.

#16 PizzaSteve

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:22 PM

I have been on Diane for over 25 years - for skin and heavy periods. No issues with blood clots and I flew a lot for work, no PMS anymore although can get a bad headache occasionally, and skin is clear. Sex drive is an issue but not sure I can attribute that to Diane.

I know it has bad press but my doctor is happy for me to be on it till menopause. Just wanted to share a positive story!

#17 BeAwesome

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:26 PM

I was on Diane for years, due to acne, but went off it last year, as I started getting monthly migranes.  They have stopped since I stopped taking it.

#18 lozoodle

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:09 PM

Dianne turned me psychotic and gave me bad skin

#19 Magnolia2

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:10 PM

I’d be a bit cautious of Diane. I was prescribed it as an 18yo by a (frankly, incompetent...but for many other reasons) male GP as the very first pill I tried - I had severe dysmenorrhea and some mild acne. I became hyper-emotional, crying at the drop of a hat, and quite anxious. I didn’t really join the dots for some time on what might be causing the behavioural change. I remember crying while watching a documentary about the Ansett collapse, tears welling up, and me finally realising that this was not my usual reaction to things and that it seemed to have started when I went on Diane!

Went to a female gyno, put on another pill, back to regular me. Instantaneously.

Edited by Magnolia2, 05 December 2018 - 09:10 PM.

#20 ERipley

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:03 PM

So many conflicting stories. Everyone is different I suppose, all with our own weird hormones to correct. What did people do before this became an option? It just feels so ridiculous to have to eat these things daily just to get on with life. I might start a new thread about defeating PMS. A lot of me does wonder if I can learn to manage those few days and then get rid of the bleeding with an ablation maybe I can manage this. 🤔

#21 ERipley

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:15 PM

My new PMS cure thread is here: http://m.essentialki...-cure-your-pms/

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with me. It’s been really helpful.

#22 ceeshell

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:01 AM

View PostERipley, on 05 December 2018 - 03:56 PM, said:

I was hoping my sex drive would come back if I wasn’t in such a foul mood all the time. I think it’s probably just all tied up with feeling well physically and I don’t feel that way. I wish I had time to exercise, plan meals, cook whatever I want, but I’m about to bath two toddlers who got filthy jumping in mud at the park then will probably order in because my partner is late from work yet again.

To be honest Our sex life is in the toilet now anyway!
I’m trialing some other things to get my PMDD under control. Will respond in the other thread. I am not adverse to going back in Yaz if nothing works as I think the positives probably outweigh the negatives.

#23 Indatree

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:29 AM

For the heavy bleeding have you tired Tranexamic acid tablets? I’ve been to a few gynos over the years and have finally found one who is giving me some new options. I too have adenomyosis. The tranexamic acid has reduced bleeding by about 50%. You only take it on the first 4 days of your period.

I’m also trialling a different hormone specifically for adenomyosis called Visanne. It’s expensive. But will give a go for a few months as my only other option is hysterectomy.

I was on the Diane pill for a long time and had to go off it because of the visual migraines I was getting - much higher risk of having a stroke.

Edited by Indatree, 06 December 2018 - 07:30 AM.

#24 ERipley

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:02 PM

Indatree, on 06 December 2018 - 07:29 AM, said:

For the heavy bleeding have you tired Tranexamic acid tablets? I’ve been to a few gynos over the years and have finally found one who is giving me some new options. I too have adenomyosis. The tranexamic acid has reduced bleeding by about 50%. You only take it on the first 4 days of your period.

I’m also trialling a different hormone specifically for adenomyosis called Visanne. It’s expensive. But will give a go for a few months as my only other option is hysterectomy.

I was on the Diane pill for a long time and had to go off it because of the visual migraines I was getting - much higher risk of having a stroke.

I did try transexamic acid but it made me feel really weird. I wouldn’t feel comfortable looking after 3 kids and driving around feeling like that. Which is a shame because I could really handle not being iron deficient right now.

My gynaecologist mentioned a hysterectomy too but thinks it’s worth trying all other avenues first, so pill, then Mirena (which I don’t want to try), then ablation, then I guess that’s it?

#25 aluminium

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:42 AM

I have PMDD.
20mg of Prozac, for two-weeks p/month was recommended by my psych. I havent tried it because I opted to try Zoloft cycling instead (which I regret, Zoloft is no good for me).

The Yaz pill worked for me when I was younger.

I take Magnesium and Vit B complex now. It helps but doesn't fix it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.