Tips for Longhaul Flight?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:51 AM

We are going to the US soon, and wondering if you have any tips for making it more pleasant with the flight length?

The longest flight I have been on is 6 hours.

So wise EB'ers, what gets you through?

#2 seayork2002

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:56 AM

Sadly I have no advice except watch as much tv as possible, I am plane weary now, I used to get excited about planes now it not pleasant for any of us till we get there.

Maybe some snacks, lollies to suck on, never ever drink alcohol and drink plenty of water.

Sleep is useless for me so i don't bother taking extra pillows, eye masks etc.

Oh I do always take a cardigan as planes to me are freezing

If you don't have a kindle I would get one!

Oh and we try and stay away till out local time bedtime if we can when we arrive

Edited by seayork2002, 05 December 2018 - 08:57 AM.

#3 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:08 AM

Thanks seayork.

I definitely can't do alcohol on flights. Gives me an instant headache. I was hoping to sleep alot, but not sure if that's going to happen. Always hard to get comfy! Good idea about a cardigan. I do have a kindle somewhere, haven't used it in ages. Good idea.

Thank you

#4 Nanns

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:14 AM

I have done dozens of long haul flights.

Two things get me through:

Either A - I bring me laptop and work for 15 hours straight (you really are quite productive). I settled an annual report from Australia to LA, emailed it in LA and had final comments by JFK - so it was done.

Otherwise B: Take a decent sleeping tablet and wake up in 10 hours (unless you have young kids to look after).

Anything in between sucks. Ask for a seat behind the divisions between business and economy etc. These go early so let them know you have a back condition that requires extra leg room for regular exercise.

Happy travelling.

#5 Beltie

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:26 AM

I watch a movie, a couple of tv episodes, eat something light then I put on a loose tee shirt and baggy light cotton pants - all black. Yes they are pyjamas but they are very comfy. I don't care what anyone else thinks. Business class are all in their PJs too. And I shut my eyes to rest. Usually I'll sleep on and off for about 6 hours.

About 90 minutes before landing I change back into my normal clothes, brush my teeth and hair, wash my face and moisturise. Having clean clothes and a clean face makes a huge difference to how I feel getting off.

#6 SeaPrincess

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:27 AM

When travelling with children, always take a change of clothes for everyone.

We flew to Europe this time last year, and left Singapore at midnight, landing in Paris in the early morning. I told the children in advance that once we took off from Singapore, we were having a few hours of no screens and trying to get some sleep. Considering they didn’t sleep at all last time we flew to Europe just from the excitement, this was well worth it so that we could do this:

View Postseayork2002, on 05 December 2018 - 08:56 AM, said:

Oh and we try and stay away till out local time bedtime if we can when we arrive

Early to bed on the first couple of nights is fine, but no afternoon naps (depending on the age of the children).

#7 lozoodle

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:35 AM

Two restamine tablets saw me sleep from LA all the way to Sydney recently. I highly recommend :)

#8 Ice Queen

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:49 AM

Drugs for everyone :ninja:

#9 can'tstayaway

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:05 PM

I like to change into pjs, read and then sleep. I avoid alcohol and sugary foods but drink heaps of water.

I do the teeth brushing and freshen up thing too. And change back into regular clothes.

DH often mixes sleeping tablets and alcohol and then wonders why he struggles with jet lag.

#10 Crooked Frame

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:49 PM

Tips for yourself, or for travelling with kids (and if so how old)? Because they are two entirely different scenarios.

#11 Jersey Caramel

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:02 PM

Decent headphones make a big difference.  I usually doze to movies rather than try to "sleep". Definitely change into comfy clothes and then back into normal clothes and wash face,  brush teeth before arrival.  If nothing else,  it gives you something to do! I also take moisturisong eye drops, nasal spray,  lip balm and good moisturiser,  because you get so dry on planes.

We're off to Europe next week,  so will be following along with interest!

#12 seayork2002

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:06 PM

I am impressed by anyone who finds the room to change in the plane!

sounds a great idea in theory but I have enough trouble with space just using the toilet on the plane let alone changing there I just wear comfy clothes in the first place

#13 Slazer

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:09 PM

bring an empty water bottle that you can fill up once you have cleared security.

If you have small kids bring a set of earphones for them that you know will stay on/in their ears. Avoids the whining every two minutes that the plane supplied earbuds have fallen out again and they can't hear the movie

neck pillow. trial a lot preferably while reclining back if you can. not all are equal.

#14 petit_manchot

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:17 PM

I live 14 hours away from home, so do a lot of long haul.
Things I do/take:
- Take an empty drink bottle and ask the cabin crew to fill it up for you (I take a small thermos and get warm water as I find it more refreshing when my nose and mouth are all dried out). Lots of airlines these days only give water out by the cupful, so it’s much easier to just have a bottle of your own.
- I have a little amenities pack which has a small pack of wet wipes, a couple of tubes of single use eye drops, a travel sized face mist, pocket size tissues, small tube of hand cream, lip balm, a couple of tabs of panadol, nurofen, and antihistamine (I store these in a perfectly sized plastic pill box from muji, and have another box with some hair bands and bobby pins), chewing gum, and a pen.
- noise cancelling headphones (although when I’m travelling with child, there’s not much point, it seems)
- a large, lightweight scarf that I can use as a wrap/blanket, or roll up in the small of my back
- kindle
- pressure stockings

And always, always, always wear your shoes to the toilet.

#15 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:26 PM

View PostCrooked Frame, on 05 December 2018 - 02:49 PM, said:

Tips for yourself, or for travelling with kids (and if so how old)? Because they are two entirely different scenarios.

Just me really, kids are 17 and 15, so will pass all this on Thank you.

#16 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:27 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 05 December 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

I am impressed by anyone who finds the room to change in the plane!

sounds a great idea in theory but I have enough trouble with space just using the toilet on the plane let alone changing there I just wear comfy clothes in the first place

I was thinking the same thing, but I guess you can get pretty creative in that small space!

#17 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:29 PM

View Postpetit_manchot, on 05 December 2018 - 03:17 PM, said:

I live 14 hours away from home, so do a lot of long haul.
Things I do/take:
- Take an empty drink bottle and ask the cabin crew to fill it up for you (I take a small thermos and get warm water as I find it more refreshing when my nose and mouth are all dried out). Lots of airlines these days only give water out by the cupful, so it’s much easier to just have a bottle of your own.
- I have a little amenities pack which has a small pack of wet wipes, a couple of tubes of single use eye drops, a travel sized face mist, pocket size tissues, small tube of hand cream, lip balm, a couple of tabs of panadol, nurofen, and antihistamine (I store these in a perfectly sized plastic pill box from muji, and have another box with some hair bands and bobby pins), chewing gum, and a pen.
- noise cancelling headphones (although when I’m travelling with child, there’s not much point, it seems)
- a large, lightweight scarf that I can use as a wrap/blanket, or roll up in the small of my back
- kindle
- pressure stockings

And always, always, always wear your shoes to the toilet.

Thank you, that is such a BIG help.

#18 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:30 PM

View PostSlazer, on 05 December 2018 - 03:09 PM, said:

bring an empty water bottle that you can fill up once you have cleared security.

If you have small kids bring a set of earphones for them that you know will stay on/in their ears. Avoids the whining every two minutes that the plane supplied earbuds have fallen out again and they can't hear the movie

neck pillow. trial a lot preferably while reclining back if you can. not all are equal.

An empty water bottle is brilliant. I must get a neck pillow. I did have one many moons ago, but no idea where it is now!

#19 #mocha

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:41 PM

I always travel in my trackies and sneakers obviously nice looking ones,

Wet wipes, hand sanitizer, headphones and my number one tip is a proper pillow.

#20 skicat

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:42 PM

Neck pillow, eye mask, blowup footrest ( most planes no longer have foot rests and I find it eases my back) sleeping drugs, water bottle, shoes that are easy to take on and off for toilet visits, and always wear socks.
Then an entertainment schedule- 1 movie, then 45 minutes of eyes closed listening to podcasts, then 45 minutes of reading on a kindle.My eyes get tired if doing the same thing for too long.
Avoid alcohol and carbs and coffee at meals.

#21 ckmelb

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:30 PM

> Food; I don't eat anything too spicy/heavy 24 hours before then take snacks on planes because plane food sux and I get hungry. A banana, some roasted nuts (unsalted - otherwise too thirsty) and a museli bar or something similar
> Water: as PP have said, bring an empty water bottle. I also bring gastrolyte sachets as sometimes I just can't rehydrate after landing and so take this before bed
> Clothes: be comfy with lots of layers. Puffer vest is also good. A giant blanket-scarf also helps. I bring pairs of socks in case it's freezing
> Bring books, movies, podcasts or whatever you are interested in. Download your fave Netflix series offline onto your phone and save it for the flight

I also do this thing which helps me - I mentally break up the flight into sections Eg 16 hour flight becomes 4x4 hour sections. Then I think about how much time has passed in the section and plan things to do eg go to the toilet and have a stretch, have a snack, ask for a cup of tea, read book. I find it helps me to think "3 hours have passed so section 1 is nearly finished" instead of thinking "3 hours down, 13 hours to go..."

#22 Coffeegirl

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:50 PM

I’ve done the SYD-LAX flight dozens of times

Make sure you have taken out travel insurance.  This is non-negotiable if you are travelling to the USA, and don’t just rely on your credit card insurance on its own

Drink lots of water 1) you get quite dehydrated on the plane 2) having to get up and go to the toilet ensures you are moving around suffiently

Get a bulkhead seat or exit row if you can.  Although the seats are slightly narrower, and you may have passengers ‘stretching’ or hanging out in front of you, you do get more legroom

Eat lightly, don’t go for heavy spicy foods, or foods that give you gas (it’s amplified in the air! )

Wear something comfy, or tea clothes to change into.   I usually take spare clothes anyway as I’ve had my luggage get delayed more than once.    I also wear a long cardigan that is light but very warm.  This is then either a pillow, a blanket or a cardigan.  

If I’m lucky enough to be closer to the pointy end in premium or business, I will take a sleeping tablet and knock myself out, but I don’t in economy as I am too cramped and end up feeling a lot worse.

Always pack nurofen or Panadol and the moisturising drixine nasal spray.  I get stuffy and dry nasal passages

As another passenger said ALWAYS wear shoes to the toilet, and at least socks while sitting down.

Avoid coffee, tea and alcohol - as tempting as it is to drink the hours away

Weird things I’ve needed on flights

Ziplock Plastic bag - half way across  DD woke up out of a deep sleep and vomited all over us.  While I could rinse the clothes out , and we had a change, I needed something to put the wet stuff in.    So now I pack my spare clothes in a ziplock out of habit, plus it’s easy to grab and take to the toilet to change

Pen - you’ll need one handy to do the arrival cards.   Also I photograph our passports and have them on my phone as it’s easier to copy the numbers onto arrival cards, rather than juggling a number of passports on those little tray tables

Small hard lollies are good for the long descent into LaX and help with the pressure in the ears

#23 littlepickle

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:59 PM

This will be us next week when we complete 11 hours to Dubai followed by 6.5 to Europe. I am in the process of transitioning from a significant phobia of flying (15 flights in 12 months with only 1 requiring medication so getting there ). This will still be somewhat of a nightmare for me but here is the plan:-

Super comfortable clothes (esp the pants...), pair of foldable ballet flats so that I can change out of my boots once in the air. Wrap and jacket for warmth - This may also have something to do with the calming effect of having something weighted on top of me.

Small kit - eyedrops, lip balm, nasal spray, nasal oil, special flying earplugs (for takeoff and descent), face wipes and cream. Hand cream. I will take my make up off at my first toilet break. Buscopan for tummy cramping and peppermint tea to help. Toothbrush, small roll of perfume and change of underwear. Water bottle purchased at the airport after security. Emergency medication if required.

Entertainment - I have already looked up the plane website to plan my Movie / TV series watching. I have been saving a couple of series just for this - will take up the majority of the first leg of the flight. Noise cancelling headphones have made a huge difference to my ability to cope (spare batteries to ensure that they don't run out) Ipad loaded with things just in case the entertainment system is on the blink. Small book of word sleuth which I use to focus if the ride becomes bumpy.

food - on shorter flights I usually only have cheese and crackers as I find a full meal leaves me really uncomfortable. Will try to stick to something light..

I don't sleep on planes so no need to take all the other bits and bobs.

#24 bubskitkat

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:46 PM

Caribe evolution sleeping neck cushion. I found it helped block out a lot of the noise on the flight plus noise canceling headphones.

Try and pack light as possible. I took everything on our last flight and it was just to much to carry.

Expect the flights to be fully booked. Pay extra and choose your seat.

#25 purpleduck

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:48 AM

Question re: empty water bottles - some things I have read include not to fill up water on the plane as they don't clean the water holding tanks that often? Any truth to that rumour?

I also would have concerns about staff trying to fill up a 1.2L water bottle :lol: might not fit under the tap??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.