I thought I could BF anywhere?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 nasty buddha

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:29 PM

Maybe I'm getting paranoid, but I keep getting looks when I BF in public. Disapproving looks that I shouldn't  be feeding in a shop etc.

Am I supposed to leave the shop and find a parent room or whatever? Can't I just feed then and there?

#2 Crazy4

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:37 PM

Ofcourse you can feed everywhere, wherever you feel comfortable. You will get funny looks because some people are aholes, but that is on them, not you. You are nourishing your baby and that’s awesome.

#3 AsperHacker

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:38 PM

Nope. You dont have to leave anywhere. Kids is hungry, feed it. End of. Ignore the looks. (Most people probably arent looking but ignore the ones who are).

#4 lucky 2

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:38 PM

You can bf on a bench or chair at the shops, you don't have to segregate yourself if you and your baby find a comfortable place to rest and feed.
Maybe try not looking too much at those around you. Get comfortable, breath, relax if you can.
I presume you are not bf in the shop, IE a clothes shop or shoe shop. That would be different!
At a cafe or anywhere else that provides seating should be fine.

#5 Kafkaesque

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:39 PM

You certainly can feed anywhere. Like the PP said people are dicks. Feed wherever you are comfortable! Ignore the looks and just smile if someone looks at you. It makes them feel awkward lol

#6 nasty buddha

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:41 PM

Yeah if I am in a shoe or clothes shop I just stand and feed.

Is that bad form / bad etiquette?

#7 EsmeLennox

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:41 PM

Flip ‘em the bird.

Just ignore it, OP.

What’s wrong with feeding in a shop?

Edited by EsmeLennox, 04 December 2018 - 09:41 PM.

#8 Mooples

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:46 PM

View Postnasty buddha, on 04 December 2018 - 09:41 PM, said:

I would feel physically uncomfortable doing that myself. I prefer to feed sitting down. I would probably look at you thinking you’d surely be more comfortable sitting down somewhere rather than standing amongst shoes and customers. Of course you are free to do as you please but I’d say the increased looks are because that is less common even amongst breastfeeding women.

#9 Lunafreya

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:47 PM

Well I couldn’t, I always had to sit. But if you can, I might look at you to admire how skilled you are.

But you are allowed to BF anywhere you are comfortable.

#10 nasty buddha

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:48 PM

Oh okay. I stand to feed a fair bit. Maybe that is what is odd.

#11 Kabu84

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:48 PM

You are allowed to bf anywhere people are legally  allowed to be. No one can tell you to leave or not bf somewhere. It is actually the law.
I used to feel all self-conscious when feeding and getting those looks but now I feed and stare right back at them. F them! And I hope by breastfeeding in public it helps to normalise it and boost the confidence of other women who want or need to bf their babies in public.

#12 nasty buddha

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:49 PM

What I meant to say is maybe I get odd looks as it is unexpected.

#13 rosie28

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:50 PM

I imagine it’s slightly unusual for people to see someone feeding standing up. Half of them are probably wondering if they should offer you a chair or something. But you can feed wherever you want. I often fed standing up, though not in shops that I remember. Probably the strangest place was on the floor of a church during a funeral- needs must! I never noticed anyone looking at me and I only ever had positive comments!

#14 PocketGingerJingle

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:50 PM

I've fed in clothes and shoe shops. I've fed pushing a trolley round Woolworths (small baby, cooperative boobs).

Some people haven't realised that breastfeeding is none of their business.

Edit to add, now I think about it I would often stand to feed even at home, I was more comfortable standing and rocking or walking than sitting.

But yes I can see that people might be surprised to see it.

Edited by PocketGingerJingle, 04 December 2018 - 09:55 PM.

#15 nasty buddha

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:55 PM

I often end up BF and pushing a pram ... not easy but otherwise I won't get to where I need to go

#16 AsperHacker

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:00 PM

View Postlucky 2, on 04 December 2018 - 09:38 PM, said:

You can bf on a bench or chair at the shops, you don't have to segregate yourself if you and your baby find a comfortable place to rest and feed.
Maybe try not looking too much at those around you. Get comfortable, breath, relax if you can.
I presume you are not bf in the shop, IE a clothes shop or shoe shop. That would be different!

Really? How is a shop any different to anywhere else? Kid is hungry, feed it.

I'm a little bit concerned that ebs *lactation expert* is suggesting that a mother feeding her baby in a shoe shop is not ok.

OP, if you can stand and feed in clothes or shoe shop then that's perfectly fine (with 3 kids, walking and feeding was necessary) if you cant then that's cool too. Feed where YOU and YOUR BABY are comfortable.

#17 Mrs Zee

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:02 PM

View Postlucky 2, on 04 December 2018 - 09:38 PM, said:

I'm really surprised at your response.

Ive bf walking through the super market while pushing a trolley. Is that weird too?

Bf is about so much more than just nutrition and the need to eat. I see nothing weird about bf while walking around a shop. I'd never get anything done these days if I had to find a seat every time my daughter wants to bf.

I'm sorry you've been made to feel uncomfortable OP. You absolutely have the right to feed wherever you choose to.

#18 Ellie bean

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:05 PM

I’m just jealous you can bf standing up, my boobs were so huge I couldn’t do it unless I was sitting down with a pillow, one hand holding the baby and the other holding up my gigantiboob!
You should be able to feed anywhere you like

#19 nasty buddha

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:06 PM

That's just it. My baby feeds for comfort or to sleep. So it isn't always a matter of a quick feed and off we go again.  If I don't feed and walk I just wouldn't get anything done.

#20 Magnolia2

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:06 PM

View Postnasty buddha, on 04 December 2018 - 09:48 PM, said:

Oh okay. I stand to feed a fair bit. Maybe that is what is odd.

Hells yes I'd be staring at you because I was JEALOUS! Standing to feed is a feat of amazingness!

(Finished BFing a few months ago, and I was the sort who needed to go back to the car to feed because I had about 47 pillows I needed to prop all around me to make it comfortable/hold my extremely heavy, wriggly DS.)

#21 EsmeLennox

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:07 PM

If a woman can BF standing up, walking around etc, more power to her, I reckon.

I was able to do it with two of mine, but not the other one.

Feed where you want OP.

#22 Hey what.@

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:07 PM

Of course you can feed in a shop. My understanding is you can feed anywhere you and bub are legally permitted to be. I've BF walking through a major shopping centre, church pew, during a vet consultation when it went longer than expected.

My advice is per PP - ignore the looks.

If I see a walking / standing mum BF at the shops  I think 'good for her,  great BF skills'.

#23 OneDayDreamer

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:08 PM

I feed wherever. Walking round a market, eating dinner in a restaurant. Usually I'll try for somewhere to sit comfortably, or out of the way (giant pram!) but if she's hungry, she's hungry and I'd rather stick her on the boob than get the stares for having a screaming child!

#24 Crazy4

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:08 PM

One of my friends would stand and feed her baby while we were waiting in q’s, in shops or wherever.  She made it look so easy that I was envious. I always felt more comfortable sitting but if I could have done it easily like my friend, I definitely would have.

#25 sarahec

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:14 PM

I used to do that. I was too tired to noticed if anyone cared.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.