Xbox in bedroom

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 fran123

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:58 PM

I have two boys 12 (nearly 13) and 10. They currently share a bedroom at their request. The other spare bedroom is their hangout room with a sofa and xbox. My almost 13 yr old is now asking for his own room but he also doesnt want to give up the xbox room. As a solution we are thinking of getting him a double loft bed so he can still have the sofa and xbox set up. He is a fairly responsible xbox user and still watches tv etc with us in the living room. I hear that you shouldnt let kids have tvs/gaming consoles in their room so Im a bit unsure if I should go ahead with this. Any words of wisdom?

#2 quartz85

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:27 PM

As a teacher who sees how much damage gaming, phone use, whatever, is doing to kids I'd say don't do it. Every day I have high school student in my classes unable to participate because they are too tired to function after playing games or just on their phone, well into the night. And some of these kids are really good, academic, hard working kids. It's destroying them.

#3 TheGreenSheep

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:36 PM

Absolutely not. There is no way I’d let my now 12yo have an Xbox in his room and he is considered ‘a good kid’. It’s just not worth dangling the carrot in front of a developing brain. Limits. Rules. Parental supervision.

#4 Crombek

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:38 PM

Heaps of evidence out there on the effect of screens in bedrooms & teens. Most of it not good. Our rule is no screens in bedrooms full stop, including for adults. Basic sleep hygiene.

#5 annodam

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:41 PM

Agree with every one else, no screens in bedrooms.

#6 Inkogneatoh

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:42 PM

For another angle, unless your prepared to referee the "you can't play because it's my room, my rules" sort of arguments, I'd keep the currently shared Xbox out of the personal space of one child.

#7 fran123

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:51 PM

Thanks everyone. I agree with all of these points...but then the xbox has to come back into the main living area, which is in the centre of the house and the noise and carry on that goes with it reverberates through the whole house. How do people deal with that sort of set up?

#8 Drat

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:54 PM

It would be a hard no from me. I also see the effects on the kids that I teach.

#9 waawa17

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:07 PM

View Postfran123, on 30 November 2018 - 06:51 PM, said:

Thanks everyone. I agree with all of these points...but then the xbox has to come back into the main living area, which is in the centre of the house and the noise and carry on that goes with it reverberates through the whole house. How do people deal with that sort of set up?

Headphones.

#10 BusbyWilkes

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:16 AM

View Postwaawa17, on 02 December 2018 - 11:07 PM, said:

Headphones.
This!
While there are times when I'd love to put the PS4 at the back of the house so I didn't have to see it, having it in the main living space allows monitoring of use/behaviour without being overt.
Headphones mean you only have to hear the nonsense your own child is going on with, rather than everyone else's too. Still not quiet, but quieter!

#11 amdirel

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:18 AM

No way.

We have all devices and consoles in the living areas. They know that I hate the sounds, so they know that if I am home, it goes on mute, or if they desperately need the sound, consoles can go on very low volume, and devices have headphones.

#12 Charli73

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:45 AM

Not a chance in the bedroom...

With headphones in the lounge you can keep an eye in content and hear them talk to their opponents.

Edited by Charli73, 03 December 2018 - 04:47 AM.

#13 JustBeige

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:08 AM

Nope, nope and noppity nope.
DS is 17 and his is still in the front lounge. (Open plan house).  He used to push for it in his bedroom but its never going to happen while he is living with me.
He just doesnt have the self regulation with it.

#14 Not*A*Lot

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:46 AM

DD 19 has a PS4 in her room with huge tv. I think she has played it once in 3wks. Only because she has been working lots of hours(6am-6pm and 8 or 9 until 6pm) and has had maybe 1 or 2 days off a week and has just come off a 9day run. She just likes the money though.
DD14 on the other hand, will not have one in her room until she either buys it herself or is finished school.

#15 teejay

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:21 AM

If you allow it just make a rule of controllers being put on the dining table at night. That is what we are doing once DS 14 moves the PS4 into his room as he is saving for a TV

#16 **Xena**

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:26 AM

My kids have computers and playstation in their bedroom. They turn them all off before bed and have half an hour to an hour of reading before they sleep. They have never given me any reason to regret allowing it.

If he's responsible and trustworthy I would allow it. If he breaks the trust then it goes :)

#17 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:42 AM

I wouldn't personally. I think it takes a very strong teen NOT to play on devices at night in their rooms.

We have a PS,out in the family room. We also only have 1 tv in our house.

#18 seayork2002

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:48 AM

We are allowing DS to have his Ipad in his room because for an hour or so some nights, he comes off when he is told.

It depends on the child I would say, some kids can use technology as an when they want and come off and still function like a normal human being.

Some kids don't know there is an off button and are so drawn in they have no idea there is a real world out there.

Our son sometimes has his Ipad but mostly watches stuff with us on a night so as long as this keeps up we allow more Ipad time.

I would be the same with a PS4/Xbox but his PS4 is in the lounge and he only wants that on Friday night and weekends,

#19 Nanns

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:57 AM

Depends on the child.

I have two games and two that have interest at all.

We have about 5 xboxes around the house. No one really abuses the situation except one  and we cut off internet access to his room at a certain time. Saves the argument.

#20 Chocolate Addict

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:06 AM

Nope. We don't do devices/tv's etc in bedrooms in this house.

Is there a way you could disconnect it when he should be in bed? or have all the games in the lounge room?

#21 doubledelight

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:32 AM

In our house bedrooms are for sleeping and occasionally reading.

No devices of any kind to be used in bedrooms.  Only in common areas.

#22 Rachel70

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:23 PM

I have a DD 15 and and DS 14 and we have a no screens in the bedroom at night policy.
ALL electronic devices go into the study onto the charging dock or on the desk overnight.
My DD fought this rule to start with but she now admits that she sleeps better and actually enjoys the screen free time.
If you look at their phones in the morning there are messages from friends at all hours of the night.
So I would never have a x box in a bedroom, bedrooms are for sleeping or relaxing.

Edited by Rachel70, 05 December 2018 - 05:23 PM.

#23 MarigoldMadge

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:33 PM

Nope - DD9 doesn't have any devices of her own yet, but her school email in on my phone and I am astounded by how many times it pings as emails arrive from her friends, up to 10/11 at night.

#24 Pip_longstockings

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:11 PM

I think in your situation I would trial it. I think the sanity of the rest of the family also needs to be considered too. But I would do what a previous poster suggested and remove the controllers for the PS4 and the TV when its bedtime. I would also set rules around your other child accessing the room, so you don't get the situation of 'go away, this is my room".

#25 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:51 PM

I think that if you trust him in the shared "kid" space, there is little difference to it being in his room. My concerns would be around removing controllers to prevent late-night/early-morning gaming, and some rulings around "his" space becoming the freely accessible space of his 10 yr old brother - he obviously wants space.

As hard as it is (and bloody annoying at times), we still have DS17's gaming in the communal areas ... not so much around screens in bedrooms (I have no rules around this now), or concerns around inappropriate online behaviour (the gaming is very much with his friendship group, and I know that he would be having access to worse via his phone, at ANY time of the day, or place, if he is not aware) but because I like him to be in our general "space". After many months of gaming-silence from him as he has battled some internal demons this year, it makes me so happy to hear DD complain about having to turn the TV up to hear it over his laughter as he games with his mates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.