Resettling 11 week old

25 replies to this topic

#1 Lids84

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:41 AM

Hi everyone. My 11 week old has been settling ok sometimes in bassinet going down awake. She may cry for a min or two but goes down ok (unless i miss her tired signs) problem is she wakes after 30min crying and if I try to resettle her it can take another 30min of her crying and crying pretty hard.

Sometimes I can get her back to sleep by feeding her next to me laying down but even then she will calm down only to keep crying on/off which again can take at least 30min. Any other tips?? She is an overtired mess by 4pm if I dont 'force' her to at least have 1 decent nap. She doesnt nap in pram, car, carrier unless its constantly moving and even then only 30min.

Feel sorry for her by the end of the day as shes exhausted! Any other tips? Will she deal a bit better with the cat naps when shes older? I could get get my first through another cycle by patting her but it took me 2 weeks of doing this for her to go into another cycle and with a 4 year old to look after now this isnt possible. Thanks!

#2 JustMyGirl

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:45 AM

How many of those 30 minute naps is she doing? With my catnapper pre 6 months we would often do 5-6 naps to get her through . Not fun but nothing worked to make her sleep longer. Improved a bit at 8 month of age.

#3 EmmDasher

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:45 AM

I have 2 children and I have never successfully resettled either of them. I’d just accept the catnaps for now. It’s pretty typical.

For my two, catnapping was a sign that their awake time was not long enough and they weren’t tired enough. That is absolutely not the case for everyone. For many people, catnapping is just a fact of life that improves with age.

#4 lozoodle

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:58 AM

I found once I just went with it it was better. All of mine catnapped at that age through to around 4/5/6 months. Sometimes even longer. I just watched for tired signs and had more frequent naps more often. I think contrary to what the "experts" say, cat napping is pretty common with babies and trying to force it can be more hassle than its worth.

#5 Apageintime

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:01 PM

Will she sleep longer in a carrier while you move around and then boob back to slee as soon as she stirs?

I do think cat napping is prety normal though and if you cna rol with it its easier.

Edited by Apageintime, 30 November 2018 - 12:02 PM.

#6 Lids84

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:09 PM

Thanks everyone! She napped for 4 x 30min yesterday and after lots of crying finally passed out at 830pm being awake from 7am. I wouldnt mind the cat naps its just that shes so cranky otherwise. Yes my first it wasnt until 5 months she got longer naps in by herself without me patting her. I would put her in carrier but she wakes unless im walking and its 30+ degrees here now so too damn hot!

#7 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:09 PM

View PostJustMyGirl, on 30 November 2018 - 11:45 AM, said:

How many of those 30 minute naps is she doing? With my catnapper pre 6 months we would often do 5-6 naps to get her through . Not fun but nothing worked to make her sleep longer. Improved a bit at 8 month of age.

This. Put her down more often to get her through.

Also, I used to pace the living room with DS in the carrier, aircon and TV on.

Edited by 22Fruitmincepies, 30 November 2018 - 12:10 PM.

#8 Lids84

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:58 PM

Yes trying to put her down more often but she fights it as the day goes on taking longer and fighting it more and more. I put her down around the 1 hour mark to give her 15 or so mins to settle.

#9 Lids84

Posted 30 November 2018 - 01:11 PM

JustmyGirl how often were u putting bubba down? What time did they sleep overnight about?

#10 Apageintime

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:28 PM

View PostLids84, on 30 November 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

Yes trying to put her down more often but she fights it as the day goes on taking longer and fighting it more and more. I put her down around the 1 hour mark to give her 15 or so mins to settle.

My baby needs shorter gaps then that at 11 weeks. he needed to be asleep 45 mins after waking. Mabe bring those naps forward a bit, she might be overtired by the time she goes down.

#11 Lids84

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:11 PM

Apageintime I will try that. Its just usually by the time i feed or try to resettle her its been that long, oh well...

#12 Mel1609

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:32 PM

Try and put her down in a dark room,  don't go straight in when she wakes,  give her a chance to resettle herself.  Also at 11 months id try and push her out a bit before putting her down for a nap- mine were all up by 6.30 to 7am, then I'd put them down at 9 and only give them 20 minutes before walking them up.  Then I'd put them down at 12 to 12.30 and they'd have 2 hours easy. As they got older i dropped the morning one. And yes..i love a routine!

#13 Apageintime

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:27 PM

View PostMel1609, on 30 November 2018 - 04:32 PM, said:

Try and put her down in a dark room,  don't go straight in when she wakes,  give her a chance to resettle herself.  Also at 11 months id try and push her out a bit before putting her down for a nap- mine were all up by 6.30 to 7am, then I'd put them down at 9 and only give them 20 minutes before walking them up.  Then I'd put them down at 12 to 12.30 and they'd have 2 hours easy. As they got older i dropped the morning one. And yes..i love a routine!

Baby is 11 weeks. I would not be worrying about self settling and pushing out naps for such a tiny one

#14 Future-self

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:35 PM

View PostMel1609, on 30 November 2018 - 04:32 PM, said:

Baby is 11 weeks, not 11 months.

OP any chance you’ve got some minor reflux going on? After 30 mins there can be some acid creep which then wakes her. Especially if you say putting her straight down after a feed means she then cries on and off.

#15 Lids84

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:42 PM

Thanks everyone! Hmm not sure about reflux in the morning after a big feed she does do bit of coughing etc. Might pop her into doctors to get checked i guess. She did couple 45min naps today so guess better than 30. Settled ok last night after feed. Had to put her to bed early as she was super cranky. Trying self settling as she is the type of baby that cries before every sleep and only catnaps no matter what I do. Shes doing ok with it when ive missed her tired window i jiggle the bassinet which sends her to sleep quite quickly but wont go back to sleep after 45min...

#16 Lids84

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:51 PM

Future self what i meant was i try to resettle her but side lying with her and feeding her (which works only sometimes). I feed her side lying before night sleep usually and she goes off ok most of the time. Like last night she was sucking on her hands after for a few min and then slept for 7 hours.

#17 Daxy

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:37 PM

Some kids just catnap. Mine did until around six months. We lived by a cycle of 90 mins awake, 30 mins asleep.

#18 Lids84

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:19 PM

I wouldnt mind if she catnapped but she gets more cranky and overtired as the day goes on because she isnt rested. Oh well ill keep trying!

#19 Mel1609

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:05 PM

Sorry OP, i read months not weeks!

However id still try and keep the room darkened and give her a few minutes to try and settle herself if she wakes.

#20 afterlaughter

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:47 PM

Let her sleep on you, no carrier just in your arms in a arm chair for a few days to break the overtired cycle then go back to the bassinet.

#21 Lids84

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:23 PM

Afterlaughter tried that when she was a bit younger she still cries and doesnt settle well. Plus if i move at all she waked up. Ive had some success with jiggling her in the cot so i get one nap more than 1 cycle at least.

#22 Apageintime

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:26 PM

https://www.babydoc....-baby-to-sleep/

Could overstimulation be an issue?

#23 Kallie88

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:59 PM

Something I learnt from devil child #1 is some kids just don't sleep. We can make the environment as ideal as possible (cool dark room, clean nappy, fed, snuggled up warm, swaddled if they like that, elevate the mattress a little at one end can help etc.) But sometimes no matter what we do that's just how they are. Hopefully a trip to the gp will rule anything medical out, or give you a path forward if something like reflux is happening. If it helps devil child still doesn't want to go to bed ever, but she does sleep much better when she's down

#24 Dianalynch

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:01 PM

DS was a cat napper until 8 months, however he would sleep on me for a couple of hours in the afternoon. As long as I was in a darkened bedroom on the comfy bed and didn't move. I also had a nearly 4 year old who either was still in daycare or could entertain herself during that time, which was lucky.

#25 Lids84

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:22 PM

Apageintime yes it is but its so hard to get her tired signs /timing etc. Shes a happy tired if she even gets a little whingy shes past it. Just like my first you wouldnt know she was tired until too late. Ive read that article before its great

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.