Abcde

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Lallalla

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:18 AM

While it’s mean for an adult to laugh at a 5 year old it’s hard not to blame the mother. How could you name your child that and expect her to never be teased?

https://www.news.com...692f1aca3b058bc

#2 kerilyntaryn

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:39 AM

and that's not the worse there a quite a few girls name this
as well as L-a, KVIIIlyn and quite a no of others.

#3 Glittery Fairy

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:51 AM

She will have to get used to it unfortunately. She’ll have a lifetime of mocking and correcting people on how to say it.

#4 marple

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:53 AM

Poor child.

#5 Oriental lily

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:55 AM

What the airline staff did was atrocious, especially putting boarding pass ( with surname) on Facebook . She should be fired .

Naming a child that (pronounced Ab City ????) is only slightly less atrocious . Then plastering her face on the news everywhere so now even random can point her out as that ‘funny kid with the funny name’.

Hope mum is saving up for lots of therapy sessions.....

#6 steppy

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:01 AM

The mother chose a joke name well known for being a joke name.

#7 71Cath

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:01 AM

Its a while since we've had an Abcde thread...

Probably won't be the last time the kid is teased about her name.

#8 Oriental lily

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:10 AM

Normally in these threads though people are convinced it’s a fallacy/ urban myth that parents actually DO this .

Well we have proof .

The airline staff obviously also was amazed and got carried away with revealing this revelation.

#9 BECZ

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:20 AM

Poor kid, however the mother gets no sympathy from me what so ever!

Yes the airline staff acted very poorly and should be punished appropriately.

It's things like this that make me glad that some babies names are not approved.  As much as it's the parents right to name their own child, have the decency to name it something that they won't cop crap for for their entire life!

#10 seayork2002

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:23 AM

I do wonder when I hear 'I love the name..." do people really think what it would be like to be called the name they choose?

#11 ~J_F~

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:26 AM

How could you not expect to cop a bit of flack over a name like that?!

It never ceases to amaze me how dumb some people really are...

#12 Oriental lily

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:30 AM

I think for some people any attention is good attention . Even brining this story to the press is probably giving her a thrill ( she could have done it anonymously if desired )

Says a lot for her own insecurities and needing to stand out from crowd and by extension her daughter .

To bad its attention that will torment her until she is of legal age to change it .

#13 Soontobegran

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:44 AM

I think the airline was stupid and deserves to be punished. I also think the mother is stupid and deserves to be punished.
The person who should not be punished is the daughter and the mother made sure that she was going to live her life being mocked.

Ridiculous.

#14 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:44 AM

Was just coming in to post this

turns out he urban myth is real

I feel for the girl,
no sympathy for the mother, she has deliberately set her kid up for a lifetime of mocking and teasing. I kinda think she a cruel biatch who put being edgy above her kid

That said, what the airline staff did is so wrong

#15 Jane Jetson

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:51 AM

The only person I have any sympathy for here is that poor kid.

Twenty bucks says she changes her name to Charlotte the day she turns 18.

#16 MrsT2018

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:58 AM

Imagine being her in prep when the kids are singing the alphabet.

Imagine being her in grade 4-6 when kids have no tact and group together to tease kids.

Imagine being her in high school when the girls and boys are so b**chy and mean.

Imagine being her as an adult trying to get a job. (apart from in hollywood).

The mum should change the name now. Not wait - even if it was just the spelling to be closer to the pronunciation.

#17 purplekitty

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:18 AM

I thought it was an urban myth.
I'll check Snopes next week to see if they have an entry.

#18 steppy

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:28 AM

This poor child is going to realise her mother has embarrassing human failings earlier than many other children.

Also, let's hope and pray Abcde never gets overweight. Abesity.

#19 Future-self

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:36 AM

Does that woman know what sound the letter D makes?? Regardless of all else, how, HOW is that pronounced Ab-city????? Where does the random t come in???

#20 **Xena**

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:36 AM

I googled the name because I was under the impression that it was originally a myth joke name that became a real name in the late 2000s. Turns out it's been around since 1990! 328 Abcde's born between 1990 and 2014 in the US, peaking in 2009 at 32.

Edited by **Xena**, 30 November 2018 - 10:38 AM.

#21 Nobodyelse

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:01 AM

I've photographed an Abdce right here in Melbourne. Several 'Nevaeh' too.

#22 Daffy2016

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:03 AM

It’s a ridiculous name.

Having said that, there is no way that airline employee should have acted the way they did. It’s not the kid’s fault she has a weird name, and posting it on Facebook is appalling. No one should be shamed because their mother’s an idiot.

#23 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:04 AM

View Postseayork2002, on 30 November 2018 - 08:23 AM, said:

I do wonder when I hear 'I love the name..." do people really think what it would be like to be called the name they choose?

Exactly this! If you like ridiculous names then change your own or even just introduce yourself to strangers using that name and see the reactions. However, it is totally unprofessional for the airline employee to ridicule the child in public and on a public social media platform.

#24 ~J_F~

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:11 AM

View PostNobodyelse, on 30 November 2018 - 11:01 AM, said:

I've photographed an Abdce right here in Melbourne. Several 'Nevaeh' too.

Nevaeh is almost worse the Abcde...

#25 steppy

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:07 PM

View PostDaffy2016, on 30 November 2018 - 11:03 AM, said:

It’s a ridiculous name.

Having said that, there is no way that airline employee should have acted the way they did. It’s not the kid’s fault she has a weird name, and posting it on Facebook is appalling. No one should be shamed because their mother’s an idiot.

I'd argue the kid wasn't being shamed - unless she is her name. It's def the mother who is being shamed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.