Two middle names?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Drat

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:55 AM

I think i'm set on Thomasina for a middle name.

I absolutely adore it. I would use it as a first name, but it would be ridiculously matchy with my daughters first name and my family would give me an insane amount of grief over it.

The only thing i'm wondering is whether to do a second middle name or not.. my daughter has two middle names that are both 5-6 letters each, one of which is my grandmothers name.

The girls first name (Winifred) we have picked out is coincidently hubbys grandmothers middle name, so we've already used one 'family' name.

So do I add in another middle name just to make it 'even' or do I just go with the two names.

My brother had two middle names and I always felt jealous because I only had one. I always just assumed we'd have a boy and a girl, so we had two middle names picked out for a boy.. but not another girl!

The only combo that I sorta like with three at the moment is
Winifred Thomasina Maeve

What does everyone think?
(Feel free to share opinions on Thomasina, but i'm not really expecting anyone to like it.. which is fine)

#2 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:58 AM

My kids all have 2 middle names, one fromeach side of the family.

Middle names are rarely used and often 2 don’t fit on forms.

#3 Daffy2016

Posted 25 November 2018 - 07:05 AM

DD has two - one family name plus my surname. She’ll probably never forgive me, but I don’t have a middle name at all and was always jealous of other kids! She’ll just have to live with it.

So two are fine in my opinion!

ETA as long as you don’t pick a second middle name that begins with an F... 😂

Edited by Daffy2016, 25 November 2018 - 07:05 AM.

#4 kerilyntaryn

Posted 25 November 2018 - 07:18 AM

I think go with the 2 middles  Thomasina Maeve are lovely mn

#5 Future-self

Posted 25 November 2018 - 07:18 AM

My children have two- a grandparents name and my surname.
I think if you have two for one child, you should do it for the others. Since your two names so far a long then lee it short? Not that it really matters

#6 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 25 November 2018 - 07:23 AM

DD has two middle names, Mary Elizabeth, one from each side of the family. Along with her eight letter given name it is a bit hard to fit onto forms but it's not very often she needs to write out the whole lot of them. DS has one middle name, Matthew. It is a bit of a tradition from his father's family as it was DHs middle, also DHs father and grandfather.

While I feel that Winifred Thomasina Maeve is a bit too Beatrix Potterish, if you like the names you should just go with them.

#7 Drat

Posted 25 November 2018 - 08:20 AM

View PostFeral Grey Mare, on 25 November 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

While I feel that Winifred Thomasina Maeve is a bit too Beatrix Potterish, if you like the names you should just go with them.

Haha, that's a compliment. I love Beatrix Potter and some of the lovely names she uses!

#8 marple

Posted 25 November 2018 - 08:29 AM

View Postkerilyntaryn, on 25 November 2018 - 07:18 AM, said:

I think go with the 2 middles  Thomasina Maeve are lovely mn

I prefer Thomasina to Winifred.

Maeve Thomasina?

#9 la di dah

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:20 AM

I'm not a 2 middles person really. Especially when one is four syllables. But I have been told I say/use the middle more often than most people.

So personally I like all the names but I wouldn't use them together.

And just to defy you, OP, I like Thomasina. :p

(Though I like obscure Thomasin maybe slightly more)

#10 marple

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:29 AM

I prefer Thomasin too?

#11 Gudrun

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:33 AM

Well I guess you could count all the syllables and then all the letters to try and make the names even or you could just do whatever you think sounds better with the surname as well or which full names sound better for the sibset.

Otherwise I don't think it matters.  You're dealing with cool names; that's the important bit.

ETA one of mine has two middle names which he sometimes enjoys using as an alias on their own.

Edited by Gudrun, 25 November 2018 - 09:36 AM.

#12 Renovators delight

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:58 AM

I have Thomasine as a family name if I go back far enough ;)

Winifred Maeve Thomasine has a nice cadence in my mind.

Go for it I say, I know lots of people with two middle names, according to my aunt's birth certificate my mother has two middle names! Even though her own birth certificate disagrees. I think there may have been some marital disharmony over it...

#13 Soontobegran

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:09 AM

It will very little in the scheme of things. One of my grand daughters has two and many in my grandparent's generation did too but nobody except their family know and they only got referred to by their first name aside from my grandma whose second middle name became her most used one just as did those of all her siblings.

I love Thomasina and Iove Winifred.

#14 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:14 AM

Do two to keep it fair.

Two middle names is somewhat traditional in my family so my kids both have two middle names. It’s true that the second one rarely gets used, but they are on our passports, so that’s something.

#15 Astrocyte

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:35 AM

Your chosen name is lovely. I think two middle names is fine. I also really like Thomasina.

#16 EmmDasher

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:39 AM

One of my kids has one middle name and the other has two. Neither of them has ever noticed or cared. Child 2’s second middle name is a symbolic initial shared by all grandmothers and just sounded spunky with her other name. With two big names like Winifred & Thomasina, I don’t think Maeve adds anything and I wouldn’t do it for the sake of it.

#17 unicycle

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:48 AM

No, don't do it. The forms, the forms, the forms. One of our three has the two middle names and I like the child a lot less every time there is official paperwork to do.
It has actually caused major headaches with one of their passports and subsequent travels.
Doesn't help that the child also has dysgraphia. Fun times ahead for them.

Edited by unicycle, 25 November 2018 - 10:49 AM.

#18 Freddie'sMum

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:57 AM

I am not a fan of 2 middle names, OP.

I foresee a lifetime of official forms ahead for you (and the child) and being a PITA when having to fill out all those forms.

I like Thomasina too.  I think all 3 names together sound like a mouthful but if you love it, you go for it.

#19 foom

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:03 AM

I have two middle names. Only use one of them on most forms. Use both on my passport and on my marriage paperwork. My license has only one middle name. My world has yet to collapse.

#20 Sarzie

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:10 AM

I have two middle names and I’ve always liked it so my daughter has two as well. I think the name Winifred Thomasina Maeve is perfect.

I didn’t make it even though as my sons have one middle name each which are family names as we just found it so difficult to find boys names that we both liked.

#21 Treasure Island

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:18 AM

I think Winifred Thomasina is a pretty big mouthful and would leave it at that. If you feel both girls need to have two middle names I would pick a 3 letter name like May or Ann etc. Maybe shorten Maeve so Winifred Thomasina Mae?

#22 AmicusCuriae

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:18 PM

DH and I both have 2 middle names, as do DD and DS.  My mother’s family all have 2 as well.  I say go for it.  It won’t really affect their life day to day but it does give a bit more scope for creativity.  My kids have family names, which continue back several generations for one of each of their middle names.

#23 Imaginary friend

Posted 25 November 2018 - 02:12 PM

I'm not a fan of 2 middle names - but having said that, it isnt a big deal and  I dont think it is a big deal if one child has 2 middle names and the other has only 1.

other things about their names will be different anyway and they don't have to be evenly matched in every way.

#24 niban

Posted 25 November 2018 - 02:16 PM

We gave DS2 2 middle names while his older brother has 1. Basically because the 2nd middle was actually my favourite out of the short list we had before he was born (but the first name we gave him was very much him when we actually met him)  
I kind of regret it now - the forms, the forms, and I feel sorry for the little bugger each time I fill one out and think that I've condemned him to a life of it!

#25 majirlo

Posted 25 November 2018 - 02:24 PM

I would definitely do two seeing as you've given your first daughter two, that way there can be no issues and they can always drop one themselves when they are older if they want to.

My first thought was Winifred Thomasina Eve but Maeve works nicely too.

I much prefer the flow of Winifred Maeve/Eve Thomasina.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.