Crazy Rich Asians (Am I the only one who didn't enjoy it?!)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 Sancti-claws

Posted 12 October 2019 - 10:35 PM

I could not get into the book at all - let alone watch the movie...

But then, I am a serial put-downer of books at the moment.

#27 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 12 October 2019 - 10:45 PM

DH has tried to get me to watch it twice. It made me cringe so badly I couldn’t stay in the room. I still haven’t got past the scene where the family buys the hotel.

#28 gracie1978

Posted 13 October 2019 - 04:23 AM

Silly OTT room coms aren't the sole domain of blonde white women anymore.

Why are people 'expecting more'?

I enjoyed it.  Agree with a PP it's an ad for Singapore, we ended up going last year...

And most movies film in cheaper locations, why is this only ok in America?

#29 Ayr

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:01 AM

I heard it was really good too. I watched about ten mins. Haven't gone back to it. Not my thing.

#30 WaitForMe

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:31 AM

I liked it for what it was.

The hype did ruin it a bit. I expected more and it took me a bit at the start to realise it had been over hyped. It was just a fun rom com.

#31 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:20 AM

Really enjoyed it. But then I watched it on a plane, NOT travelling in the style they did! so something fluffy was far more suitable.

#32 Froyo

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:43 AM

View Postgracie1978, on 13 October 2019 - 04:23 AM, said:

I enjoyed it.  Agree with a PP it's an ad for Singapore, we ended up going last year...

100% this.

#33 AliasMater

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:58 AM

I also watched it on a plane. If I wasn't a captive audience I probably wouldn't have got to the end. I found it pretty boring.

#34 Kavity1

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:13 AM

I loved it, but I watch alot of Asian TV and movies, I prefer their story telling style, and quite honestly the plot is normal for a asian romcom, over the top and ridiculous fun.

#35 Apageintime

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:46 AM

I enjoyed it for what it was, a fluffy romance.

It totally delivered on that.

Same as I don't expect Oscar worthy from like Pitch Perfect. Still watch it when I just want something light that isn't going to require too much brain power

#36 Lunafreya

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:00 AM

Yeah, it is what it is. Nice to see some representation rather than just typecasting

#37 born.a.girl

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:09 AM

View Postgracie1978, on 13 October 2019 - 04:23 AM, said:

Absolutely.   We've travelled quite a bit recently, and I don't think there's been a single spectacular location that hasn't been used as part of some film or other, theoretically located elsewhere.

#38 Babetty

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:43 AM

I enjoyed it as a silly fluffy rom com, as did DH. He did get annoyed when the various main characters seemed to use Mandarin or Cantonese almost interchangeably without any logic - eg one of the main characters used Mandarin, the grandmother used Cantonese etc.

#39 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:58 AM

I enjoyed it way more than I expected I would. Enjoyable fluff. I did watch it on a plane, but that’s the only place I’ve watched a movie recently.

#40 Chocolate Addict

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:24 AM

I watched it recently on Netflix, to be honest, I didn't really know exactly what it was about.

It was ok, just another romcom but I failed to see what all the excitement was about.It was ok but not amazing.

#41 kim27

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:24 AM

I enjoyed but I was on a plane to Singapore at the time starting a 3 week holiday so it was the perfect movie for the moment.

#42 dadwasathome

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:48 AM

It was fun fluff when we watched on Netflix recently

Turns out my SIL enjoyed it mostly for buff bodies. My BIL and I were lusting after the food - again, so much so that a SEA catchup is on the cards.

#43 Odd-1-Out

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

I couldnt stand it. I had to change the channel.

#44 Kia❤️

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:35 AM

Yes i'm the same turned it off half way through.. couldnt get into it.

#45 #YKG

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:49 PM

View Post71Cath, on 09 November 2018 - 08:13 AM, said:

The trailer made me want to crawl out of my skin.  It feels racist to me.  But everyone says it isn't racist, so is that just my white privilege talking?

I'm so conflicted, I cant go and see it.

*waits for flaming*

It’s based on a novel written by a man who grew up in Hong Kong in the “elite” class and what he saw happen with family and friends, the lengths some would go to, to keep “outsiders” out of their circles.

#46 Billy Shears

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:58 PM

View Post#YKG, on 14 October 2019 - 08:49 PM, said:

It’s based on a novel written by a man who grew up in Hong Kong in the “elite” class and what he saw happen with family and friends, the lengths some would go to, to keep “outsiders” out of their circles.

I know it's such a cliche, but the novel is really so much better than the film.   I listened to the first book on Audible - and immediately went onto the second and third as soon as I was finished.

The books are more ensemble pieces - there are a lot more story lines involving the cousins.  

I was disappointed in the movie - especially as you only saw Harry Shum Jnr (LOVED him in Glee) in the final credits, yet he was featured a lot more in the books.

#47 PaulaHall

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:36 AM

I enjoyed the movie, i've watched it a couple of times now, it's fun.

but i love a good rom com, even a bod rom com.  Also just a rom  LOL

#48 BeAwesome

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:46 PM

I saw Crazy Rich Asians and Always Be My Maybe (Netflix movie) in the same weekend, and I actually enjoyed Always Be My Maybe considerably more.

#49 Silverstreak

Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:58 PM

DH has been suggesting we watch this on Netflix, might watch it tonight with him.

#50 PaulaHall

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:22 PM

View PostBeAwesome, on 07 November 2019 - 01:46 PM, said:

I saw Crazy Rich Asians and Always Be My Maybe (Netflix movie) in the same weekend, and I actually enjoyed Always Be My Maybe considerably more.

this made me laugh, as i was going to say i'd seen Always be my Maybe and really didn't like it lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.