Would you NOT use a name for baby in case of clashing with a possible future baby

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 HippyDippyBaloney

Posted 30 October 2018 - 08:52 PM

In your shoes I would look for a different name in place of Ezra.

My dd’s name I loved for 15 years before she was born. I would have been very upset if I couldn’t use it for whatever reason (including clashing with a sibling name), so I get the significance of Esme to you.

#27 #YKG

Posted 30 October 2018 - 09:22 PM

I would stick with Ezra if you both love it.

If you were to have a girl and when she’s born Esme doesn’t suit her, you might not use it and end up with it being a middle name.

Either was I don’t see an issue with siblings Ezra & Esme, one of my friend has a Michael and Mikayla. Doesn’t cause issues.

#28 Tizzy

Posted 30 October 2018 - 10:04 PM

I'd use Ezra/Esme for your 4th especially since Esme is a name you love. Imo if you have siblings with both names it would be cuter if they were twins.

#29 la di dah

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:59 AM

I adore Ezra (I also really like Esme but have friends with Esmes).

Alternatives to Ezra I like:
Judah
Micah
Jonah
Eli (this sounds further from Esme and easier to use both)
Asa
Isaac
Asher
Jabez
Ephraim

#30 majirlo

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:23 AM

I would definitely save Ezra and Esme for the next baby.
Ezra and Esme are way too similar to use for siblings with the Ez sound, same initial, both four letters, both two syllables.

I would go with something completely different;

Nate
Jasper
Caleb
Silas
Arlo
Levi
Abe
Archie
Tobias

#31 Imaginary friend

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:30 PM

I'm not a great fan of Ezra or Esme - which I guess at least makes me equally unbiased in what I would do.

I think Ezra and Esme are too similar for siblings - but some people do use similar sounding/ looking names so you could use both if you really wanted to.

I would use Ezra though - you have a child to name now so I would use the name I loved best for an existing child.

You may never have a girl to call Esme anyway, you may never have a 4th child.

I would go with what is real now and when and if you have a girl later, then decide whether to still use Esme.
Or use it as a middle name.

This is what I would do if I were you.

If I were me I would use Isaac  - name I really love and would probably have used, had I had another boy.

#32 Cimbom

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:28 PM

I would use it and cross the bridge for the fourth child when you come to it.

Personally though, I have a similar name to my sister (first two letters the same and another same letter) and really got annoyed when people would get our names mixed up when we were growing up. That's just me though...

#33 Plaxy

Posted 01 November 2018 - 04:56 PM

I would use either Ezra or Esme for the 4th child and find something else now. Not great as siblings.

#34 snowball

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:59 PM

If you definitely plan on having a fourth child, I would save Ezra and Esme for that child.

#35 lozoodle

Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:04 PM

Nope. I would always use the name I like at the time. What is the point of waiting for something that may never happen?

#36 MooGuru

Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:19 PM

Would you be happy calling Esme Mae as a nickname? If so I'd use Ezra and Esme next time if it happens.

I just think if anything prevented you from having a fourth you may regret not using Ezra when you had the chance.

I'd think Esme and Ezra were similar but doable especially if you think you'll use nicknames.

#37 kerilyntaryn

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:05 AM

I think you Ezra and see what happens next time and then decide

#38 BadCat

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:26 AM

I've done exactly that.

I didn't use a specific girls name I loved for my first child in case the second child was a boy.  Because his name was already chosen.  And the names rhyme.  Not just a casual kind of rhyme, but like full on Guy and Sky kind of rhyme.

Luckily I had another girls name that I loved so that's what they got.  The second child then had either Guy or Sky depending on sex.

Note: Guy and Sky were not the actual names.  I just told my mother that because it was hilarious at the time for other reasons.  :lol:

I don't really have a problem with Esme and Ezra as a sibset though.

#39 Etta

Posted 25 November 2018 - 07:04 AM

If your fourth is a boy you will have to think of another boy's name anyway, so you might like to think of that name now and then save Ezra. If your fourth is a girl then you get to use Esme so you will use at least one of these names that you like.

#40 Soontobegran

Posted 25 November 2018 - 07:35 AM

Ezra and Esme are a perfectly fine sibling combination if you ask me. They sound very different when said correctly.
Both lovely names.

#41 Lou-bags

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:18 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 25 November 2018 - 07:35 AM, said:

Ezra and Esme are a perfectly fine sibling combination if you ask me. They sound very different when said correctly.
Both lovely names.

This is the second PP who has said this so now I’m thinking I must say one of them (or both of them) wrong?!?

How do you say them correctly?

I say Ezz-rah and Ezz-may....

(only know an Esme, pronounced like this ^^, never met an Ezra so have only heard the pronunciation from a movie).

#42 kerilyntaryn

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:22 PM

View PostLou-bags, on 26 November 2018 - 10:18 PM, said:

This is the second PP who has said this so now I’m thinking I must say one of them (or both of them) wrong?!?

How do you say them correctly?

I say Ezz-rah and Ezz-may....

(only know an Esme, pronounced like this ^^, never met an Ezra so have only heard the pronunciation from a movie).
  That's how I pronounce it too

#43 la di dah

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:30 PM

I know Ezra as ez-rah.

Esme I've heard both ez-may and ez-mee.

I don't see how they are so different either way. Too close for me.

#44 Deb999

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:16 PM

You're never going to regret the name choice of Ezra for your son and if your daughter comes along, you will never regret Esme.

At the end of the day, it won't sound funny to you, what strangers think is irrelevant. They are your children and you named them lovingly.

#45 vanilla_bear

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:53 PM

Two of my favourite names are Kate and Will...

#46 Expelliarmus

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:01 PM

Lots and lots of siblings have similar sounding names - trust me. I see no drama with those names both being used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.