Fit bit or similar for kids.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 LucyGoose

Posted 27 October 2018 - 08:27 PM

Fit bits or Garmin or whatever else seem to be hugely popular at my DDs school.  She is in grade 3.  She wants one but isn’t that sporty or an athletic type.
What do kids around 7-10yr actually use these for?  Are they just a step counter or do they do other things?

#2 Serenity Now

Posted 27 October 2018 - 08:34 PM

My 8yo DD loves her vivofit jr. She uses it to count steps, has step contests with friends, and has reminders for doing chores. It has a game that you can progress through but she’s not very interested in that.

#3 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 27 October 2018 - 08:35 PM

Telling time.

#4 ExpatInAsia

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:34 PM

While on topic - which Fitbit is best for a 12 yo? The children’s version or the adult?

#5 ~J_F~

Posted 27 October 2018 - 10:56 PM

My DD is getting a Garmin JR for her birthday in a couple of weeks.

Used for - time, steps, activity, chores, step contests.

I think for us it will just be a general tool to get more activity in.

Expat I would probably go one of the cheaper adult ones for a 12yo :)

#6 Crazyone26989

Posted 27 October 2018 - 10:57 PM

Interrupt their teacher five times a day to tell everyone the time or how many steps they've done LOL

#7 aluminium

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:34 AM

My girls' friends have the junior ones (Fitbit and Garmin) - for time-telling, step counting. They also prompt them to move.

Whereas my girls (8 and 10) have the Fitbit Flex 2 because they swim for sport and are getting serious about it - the Flex 2 counts laps. It also doesn't have a face for the time, step-counting or calorie counting - you have to look at all of this on a device.

Does your daughter swim? I found these encouraging for my girls.

#8 AdelTwins

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:22 AM

Garmin Jr here.
Used for steps/active minutes, time, set timers (e.g. 1/2 hour screen time) and wake up alarm on weekdays. We also do a step competition with adults on days we go to the zoo, etc.

Because you only change the battery once a year, they don’t take it off their wrist. No lost devices.

#9 ~J_F~

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:24 AM

The once a year charge was a selling point if the Garmin Jr for me too.

#10 BornToLove

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:29 AM

DD has the Garmin Jr watch as well.

She mostly uses it for reminders to do things/chores - daily vitamin, practice her cello, feed the cats, etc. She also uses the timer function when she brushes her teeth.

She’s not fussed about the activity features like step counting, sleep monitoring etc. There is also a token system for doing things, but we don’t use it.

#11 timtam92

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:21 AM

I don’t think kids need to count steps. Getting them to focus on the wrong things. They shouldn’t be corned about this. Adults shouldn’t be either!

#12 ~J_F~

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:23 AM

View Posttimtam92, on 28 October 2018 - 09:21 AM, said:

I don’t think kids need to count steps. Getting them to focus on the wrong things. They shouldn’t be corned about this. Adults shouldn’t be either!

Well then don’t buy one for yourself or your kids....

#13 spr_maiden

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:25 AM

I'm not trying to be inflammatory,  I really am interested in knowing - does anyone worry about the impact of children monitoring their health so closely from a young age,  where the health information they are checking is really just data without much of a context?
I am asking as I am in two minds about them for my child.  I know my 8yr old has mentioned wanting one because friends at school have one. He is very much into numbers and facts in general also.
Do they really have a calorie counting function?

#14 spr_maiden

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:26 AM

Ahhh, I see this thread may have already turned,  and my genuine question may be taken the wrong way....

#15 ~J_F~

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:29 AM

View Postspr_maiden, on 28 October 2018 - 09:25 AM, said:

I'm not trying to be inflammatory,  I really am interested in knowing - does anyone worry about the impact of children monitoring their health so closely from a young age,  where the health information they are checking is really just data without much of a context?
I am asking as I am in two minds about them for my child.  I know my 8yr old has mentioned wanting one because friends at school have one. He is very much into numbers and facts in general also.

Isn’t it a good idea for kids to be monitoring their health from a young age? That way it’s just second nature to them and they don’t have to spend their adult years figuring it out, like so many of us have had too.

If it gets my DD up and moving more then I think it’s a win personally.

#16 Charli73

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:29 AM

View PostAdelTwins, on 28 October 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

Garmin Jr here.
Used for steps/active minutes, time, set timers (e.g. 1/2 hour screen time) and wake up alarm on weekdays. We also do a step competition with adults on days we go to the zoo, etc.

Because you only change the battery once a year, they don’t take it off their wrist. No lost devices.

Unless your DS7 with ASD loses it on the first day he wears it to school and someone steals it when they find it and ditch the band... he was very upset..

#17 spr_maiden

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:51 AM

View Post~J_F~, on 28 October 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

Isn’t it a good idea for kids to be monitoring their health from a young age? That way it’s just second nature to them and they don’t have to spend their adult years figuring it out, like so many of us have had too.

If it gets my DD up and moving more then I think it’s a win personally.

I get that, that is one side of the coin. And for some children with whatever conditions, I can see how they could be helpful.

For an average child who gets activity in their day regardless,  I question the value and long term impact of focussing their attention on numbers, and data rather than listening to their bodies and moving because it feels good.  "Healthy" in a larger context rather than healthy because I've reached this amount of output or I've won the step competition. Internal vs external motivator, I guess.
Monitoring of input and output is not always the healthier option.

#18 spr_maiden

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:56 AM

These are things I am considering,  and I wonder if I'm missing some points in my "do I/ don't I".

#19 aluminium

Posted 28 October 2018 - 12:45 PM

spr_maiden,
I had concerns about developing obsessive behaviours which is why my girls got the faceless Flex 2 - it still counts everything but they need to be on a device to check it (which they do after swimming). In our case, it has motivated them to achieve pbs in their swimming and they can track their progress.

#20 BeAwesome

Posted 28 October 2018 - 01:48 PM

My 6 year old has a Garmin Jr, specifically for the alarm feature, so I can set an alarm for her to go to the office each day as she takes medication.

Though, she wanted that particular style watch, as that's what all her friends had.

#21 pitzinoodles

Posted 28 October 2018 - 02:06 PM

I feel uneasy about it for my active healthy DD of a similar age. I’m definitely in two minds about it too.

#22 spr_maiden

Posted 28 October 2018 - 05:53 PM

^ can I ask what is on your pros/cons list too please? Because there is something that makes me hesitate,  so I wonder what it is.

#23 AdelTwins

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:46 PM

For those that are on the fence...

I have noticed that my two boys were original obsessed with how many active minutes they had done. To the point that they would run around the house before bed to get to 60 minutes. But that only lasted a few weeks.

Now they only tend to notice it on days when they do lots of sports or we go to the zoo. The rest of the time they ignore it and just use the time, timers, alarm, etc.

It might help that I only sync their devices once a fortnight. It doesn’t show previous days on the device itself.

#24 ExpatInAsia

Posted 28 October 2018 - 10:37 PM

I have been thinking about this too but the reality is that young tweens are already thinking about this. My younger child has always been healthy without thinking about it too much. She started a new school this year and is suddenly thinking a lot about what types of exercise, how much and how often.

I know that many other children at her school have fitbits and assume she is being influenced by peers. We have always talked about overall health/exercise but her focus has really sharpened this year.

My DH, who has always been very fit and fitness focused, thinks giving her a Fitbit encourages her to be obsessive rather than focus on an overall healthy approach. I am wondering if it will make her feel more in control to reach her objectives or just more focused - I am in two minds.

Edited by ExpatInAsia, 28 October 2018 - 10:39 PM.

#25 QuirkyMum

Posted 29 October 2018 - 05:32 PM

My DS9 has vivofit jr. We bought it for him to track his sleep. How melatonin works and when. And to potentially not let him have any screen time the day after he didn't have 10 hours of sleep ( when it is his fault).
He did track his steps and activity for 3 days. Still enjoys the fact that he can swim and shower while wearing them.
But the main ( and unexpected) thing for us - chores! He asked what chores he can set up and I said without thinking - brushing teeth, shower without complaints, dishwasher, wheelie bins on garbage collection days. He set them and two months later is still obsessed with them. Wants more. We bought a lighter vacuum cleaner so now he vacuums every day.
All chores earn him points which he can redeem on screentime. With all his chores done he gets his 30-45 mins TV time ( we used to fail at getting him change after school, now he showers and changes straight after!).
Oh and me changing 24 hour format to 12 and back for a few days made him more confident with time and got him to compare 24/12 format time  to time on mechanical clock on the wall.
Also my son chose strap design of an older model which is cheaper now. Main difference between jr models is design of the strap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.