Board games 7-8 year olds

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 LucyGoose

Posted 26 October 2018 - 06:28 PM

My daughters are 7 and 8.  I’m looking for a new boardgame,  something that they can play by themselves,  or with adults if we feel like it.
Their favourite game is the game of life.  They also like uno and cluedo.  They used to like games like shopping list,  pop to the shops - but have grown out of these a little.   They also enjoy bop it.
The 7 yr old is a fluent reader but has a shorter attention span,  I.e no monopoly.
Any ideas?

#2 Elizabethandfriend

Posted 26 October 2018 - 06:37 PM

Monopoly Junior?  Its over pretty quickly.

#3 barrington

Posted 26 October 2018 - 06:42 PM

We recently bought slapzi - everyone loves it!

#4 Riotproof

Posted 26 October 2018 - 06:42 PM

Connect 4
Trouble
Kerplunk (very hard to buy the old proper version we used to have now, do not buy the kmart $5 piece of crap. We have the uk version with a shute)
Guess who
Ds has mentioned he’d like battleship.

Also would some individual games they play on their own be good? Think fun have some good logic puzzles.

#5 alchetta

Posted 26 October 2018 - 06:43 PM

rummikub
snakes and ladders
snap
guess who
upwords
backgammon if they can remember the setup

Do they like jigsaw puzzles?

#6 trillian42

Posted 26 October 2018 - 06:58 PM

Slightly left field but we love Sushi Go Party. It’s a sushi themed card game that is straightforward enough that the 8-y-o certainly, and probably the 7-y-o, would get it, but also tactical and fun for adults.

Hard to describe as it sounds quite complex but actually really isn’t. Even our 5-y-o will play it, albeit not that successfully.

#7 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:17 PM

Junior Monopoly is great. Our version has an ATM!

#8 Inkogneatoh

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:18 PM

Jenga? Dominos?

I'm sure you can also still buy the compilation type boxes with things like chess, checkers, snakes and ladders, ludo, nine men morris and the such.

https://www.bookdepo...n/9780932592941
My brother and I got given that book many years ago and it served us well. The premise is games for 2 that are easy to learn but take time to master like checkers and backgammon.

#9 AnythingGoes

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:25 PM

We like Monopoly Empire more than Monopoly junior - still only takes about 15 minutes to play but has a bit more to it.

Exploding kittens is a fun card game.

#10 LucyGoose

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:45 PM

View Postalchetta, on 26 October 2018 - 06:43 PM, said:

rummikub
snakes and ladders
snap
guess who
upwords
backgammon if they can remember the setup

Do they like jigsaw puzzles?

Yes they like puzzles,   But we are limited to puzzles completed in one sitting for now as I also have a toddler.  I’ve never played rummikub,  that might be one to look at.

#11 petal71

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:55 PM

Ludo is fun - mainly luck based but some tactics.
Planes version of Monopoly - DS7 also has limited attention for many things but fine with this.

View PostRiotproof, on 26 October 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

Connect 4
Trouble
Kerplunk (very hard to buy the old proper version we used to have now, do not buy the kmart $5 piece of crap. We have the uk version with a shute)
Guess who
Ds has mentioned he’d like battleship.

Really recommend pen and paper version of Battleships over the peg version any day. With the peg version (OK it was a cheap one) plyers can too easily see each others boards, pegs fall out or are v hard to remove at end. I got jack of it after 2-3 tries and ended up drawing out grids and photocopying them - then you just use the copies to colour in.

#12 Riotproof

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:01 PM

Petal, you can actually get battleship apps now. I think they are really good, and you can practice against the Computer.

#13 AdelTwins

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:14 PM

My Little Scythe - collect gems/apples and deliver to the castle. Have pie fights or be friendly. Easy to play by themselves once they know the rules.

Grimm Forest (with parents) - you are a niece/nephew of the 3 little pigs and must build three houses of straw/wood/brick, but watch out for the fairytale monsters. A few of the cards are harder to understand, so an adult playing for the first few times would help.

Sushi Go Party - as PP mentioned, an awesome card drafting game. Super simple to play. Shuffling cards would be the biggest problem.

Forbidden Island - work together to collect the four treasures before the island sinks.

Carcassone (with parents) - lay tiles to make roads/cities/farms. Claim them and collect the points.

Splendor - buy gems and collect cards until you have 15 points.

Onitama - a chess style game

Unstable Unicorns (must remove about 5 “adult” cards from whole deck) - take that card game with gorgeous unicorn art work.

#14 osmund

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:32 PM

Some of these may need parental help initially:
  • Settlers of Catan
  • Carcassonne
  • Dixit
  • Cottage Garden
  • Ticket to Ride - the Nordic version is 3 player only so can easily be played 2 player.

#15 Seven of Nine

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:43 PM

Goblins Drool Fairies Rule is a good one for that age group.

My 6 and 8 year olds love
Battleship
Cluedo
Zombie Dice
Tsuro

#16 mylittlemen

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:45 PM

Slapzi and Spot it are hugely popular in this household

#17 Malkin Slinkhard

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:54 PM

Love Dixit but you need at least three people. Love Letter is great and Exploding Kittens for simple card games. Lanterns maybe as well.

#18 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:05 PM

Kingdomino is another quick strategy Domino type game (sounds a bit like Carcasonne).

Pictopia with Disneyquizz questions

https://www.bigw.com...-game/p/938441/

#19 hoohoobump

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:35 PM

Lots of other great ones already mentioned, but we also love Latice and Dobble (Spot It is another name it’s known by).

For cards: Phase 10 and Skip Bo are fun.

#20 FindingZen

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:02 PM

Operation
Candyland
Memory
Go Fish
Dominoes

#21 RynandStompy

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:55 PM

Some great games listed here that we already play. One DD loved from age 6 is Sleeping Queens. It's got some simple maths skills in it..I think a child can progress from that to Sushi Go.

Other fun games are Chicken Cha Cha (it's a memory kind of game ) . And hunt out a kids card version charades tin. It's not a boardgame but fun for all ages for eg xmas gathering with cousins of all ages.

#22 JRA

Posted 26 October 2018 - 11:04 PM

Othello is also brilliant.

#23 SplashingRainbows

Posted 27 October 2018 - 05:15 AM

Mastermind

#24 BBC

Posted 27 October 2018 - 05:34 AM

Mastermind
Othello
Quirkle
Bananagrams

#25 BeAwesome

Posted 27 October 2018 - 07:11 AM

My 6 & 10 year olds like:

rat-a-tat-cat
sleeping queens
dixit (more the older child)
carcassone
forbidden island
sushi go
dragonwood
exploding kittens
you've got crabs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.