Robert?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Aimee_87

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:10 PM

Can I get your honest opinions on the name Robert?

We don’t know whether we are having boy or a girl but this is so far the only real contender for a boys name. We have 2 girls already with fairly traditional top 100 names.

I just worry that Robert is a bit too old fashioned, boring or dated?
It’s a family name and DH is pretty keen on it and I do love the nickname Robbie...

What do you think?

#2 blimkybill

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:16 PM

I think it's a classic which is due for a revival. It's a beauty.

#3 Mrs Spector

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:16 PM

I think you make the name what you want it! If it’s special and family oriented, then do it :)

Robbie and Bobby are both very cute for a little boy!

#4 Sancti-claws

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:25 PM

I think it is wonderfully versatile - I know a 3yo Bobby.

#5 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:43 PM

its not very popular (which could be a bonus i guess) - not a  single robert in either of my kids’ years, and - i would hazard a guess - the entire primary school. i have some negative associations with the name - but Bobby is kind of cute.

Edited by Lucrezia Borgia, 23 October 2018 - 10:47 PM.

#6 MooGuru

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:53 PM

I know a few Roberts of all ages. Have to say I don't think I've ever met one Ididn't like. All go by Rob or Robbie except the plus 50s where Bob or Bobby also comes into play.

#7 Bam1

Posted 23 October 2018 - 11:06 PM

I think the nicknames are way better and personally I prefer names that are better than their nicknames.

#8 kerilyntaryn

Posted 24 October 2018 - 05:48 AM

I think it is great - well known, but not common,  easy to spell and pronounce,  good nicknames, good strong name.  I have a teenage nephew Robert,  nn Robbie,  great name for an Adult too

#9 Gudrun

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:09 AM

Not my favourite classic but a classic nevertheless.

I prefer Robin. NN Robbie does brighten it up a bit.

#10 Aimee_87

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:33 AM

Thanks all!

I think the fact that I don’t know of a single baby or small child called Robert is putting me off the most...

We rarely call our DDs by their full names, always by their nicknames so I would likely do the same and start off with Robbie straight away.

I do like Robin too but it wouldn’t work with our surname unfortunately.

Thanks for all your input! Only 6 weeks to go!

#11 la di dah

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:00 AM

Robbie is cute. Though being honest I am fonder of Reuben or Rupert than Robert.

Bob/Bobby is too 1950s for me.

If it's a family name it could be worth it. It's certainly not overused.

#12 sarahec

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:18 AM

I like Robert and love nn Robbie

#13 alwayshappy

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:21 AM

Too old fashioned and dated for me, but if it's what you like, go for it.

#14 Threetwoone

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:27 AM

I like Robert but not a fan of Bobby or Bob. I don't think it matters if it's outdated, there is such a variety of names these days.

#15 zenkitty

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:46 AM

I know Roberts in their 60s, 50s, 30s and teens. I think Robbie is cute on a little one, great name that I hadn’t really considered before!

#16 livelifelovehappy

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:52 AM

Extremely negative associations for me personally, but I do think Bert or Bertie is very cute. Bobby too.

I'd probably go for Albert, myself, if after the bert ending. I also like R names, it's a good letter.

Edited by livelifelovehappy, 24 October 2018 - 11:54 AM.

#17 seayork2002

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:04 PM

I like the name Robert but with any name I would only use it if you happy re for any nickname.

You may like Robbie but others may say Rob, Bob or whatever.

But if you like Robbie you can just use Robbie

#18 Nobodyelse

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:35 PM

I have a Robert. It is his middle name but we use it as a double barrel with his first name all the time. He's just as much xxx-Robert as he is just xxx.

DS is 7.

#19 ELF_em_bee

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:40 PM

I’m not a fan.  TBH it sounds like an old man’s name.  Robbie is ok but makes me think of Robbie Williams (who I don’t really like, he comes across as obnoxious).

#20 Nobodyelse

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:59 PM

View PostELF_em_bee, on 24 October 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

I’m not a fan.  TBH it sounds like an old man’s name.  Robbie is ok but makes me think of Robbie Williams (who I don’t really like, he comes across as obnoxious).

I don't understand this reasoning. Maybe in the abstract but when it comes to naming children, real living children, it makes zero sense to me as a reason for not liking a name.

I meet hundreds of children a year. I've never met a kid with an 'old person's name' regardless of how far in history that name goes back. I've not met a Helen who wasn't a perfect 5yo Helen. Or a Murray that wasn't the most perfect toddler Murray. Or a Kevin that wasn't absolutely a gorgeous 6 month old Kevin.

Names don't have ages. They are always, without exception, the same age of their human.

#21 amdirel

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:02 PM

I like it! Due for a comeback IMO. It was my dad's name and is DS2's middle name.
I like the nn Robbie, don't really like Bob/Bobby. Though tbh I prefer the full name Robert.

#22 Bam1

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:23 PM

View PostNobodyelse, on 24 October 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

Names don't have ages. They are always, without exception, the same age of their human.

A name is only as old as your child if you have made their name up!

Names have trends and there are certainly old person’s names - doesn’t mean the kid isnt cute, unique or whatever - just that they have a name that was really popular in an older generation and then its popularity waned so its linked with that generation.

#23 fancie shmancie

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:53 PM

Great name.  Classic and crisp.

#24 classic_chick

Posted 24 October 2018 - 03:01 PM

I think Robert is a fine name. It's good that timeless names are passed down through families. In full the name can suit a child just as well as nn Rob or Robbie. I do think Bob is dated (same with Bill for William) probably would only be used by the grandparents if anything.

#25 Nobodyelse

Posted 24 October 2018 - 04:18 PM

View PostBam1, on 24 October 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

A name is only as old as your child if you have made their name up!

Names have trends and there are certainly old person’s names - doesn’t mean the kid isnt cute, unique or whatever - just that they have a name that was really popular in an older generation and then its popularity waned so its linked with that generation.

Oh absolutely. I wasn't referring to popularity or trends or etymology. I meant this reasoning to not give a child a particular name because it is 'an old person's name'. I don't understand what deterrence that is supposed to convey -  that giving them an 'old person's name' somehow ages them or dates them or something by connecting them to an 'old person'?

Because when I meet kids with these names, the names don't feel like they belong to 'old people'. They always, without exception, feel like they belong to that individual regardless of age.

That's what I meant.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.