Book suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sweetpea8

Posted 13 October 2018 - 04:51 PM

Hi all,

Just wondering what books people are getting into about pregnancy/birth/newborns? I like reading and find that constantly scrolling through internet articles isn’t that relaxing a way to get info.

Any tips? Books you’ve read before? Books you’ve been recommended? Anything particularly targeted to partners?

Cheers!

#2 Jenflea

Posted 13 October 2018 - 05:41 PM

I liked the Kaz Cooke one.

And EB, EB has the best advice lol.

#3 Baby_Clicks

Posted 13 October 2018 - 05:41 PM

Not directed at partners,  but I have read Real Food for Pregnancy by Lily Nichols twice already. It has great nutritional advice for pregnancy and breastfeeding, really backed up with research and facts. I love it 😊

#4 MissTR

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:31 AM

The only one I found helpful was birth skillz by juju sundin, it's really helpful if you're going for a natural delivery

#5 AmelieC

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:03 AM

I also found JuJu Sundin's Birth Skills really helpful. When I had my son, birthing him was quite quick and I felt like I didn't even have time to think about pain relief until it was all happening. So her strategies were absolutely invaluable to me.

She's also very realistic and supportive of taking pain relief if you need it, and shares positive birth stories from women who tried her strategies but in the end decided the did need the pain relief. And she gives strategies for birthing with pain relief on board (e.g. how to visualise pushing when you are numb from your epidural).

She also gives tips for what partners can do to help, so they don't feel so helpless.

#6 sweetpea8

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:52 AM

Thanks, this is really helpful. Think I'll get Sundin and Cooke and start with those.

xx

#7 LuckyStar2015

Posted 15 October 2018 - 05:22 PM

I really enjoyed 'What to Expect When You're Expecting" the first time around sweetpea - it has week by week stages, it's so lovely reading about what's happening and literally what to expect (although seriously nothing prepares you for birth he he he!)

Hope you're going well!

#8 just roses

Posted 15 October 2018 - 05:27 PM

Avoid anything by Tizzie Hall and beware anything that is too rigid (Babywise another to avoid).

I quite liked the Baby Whisperer books because they offered routine and structure without rigidity and recognised that all babies - like adults - are different.

#9 Lou-bags

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:10 PM

Agree with just roses re tizzy and other one size fits all rigid approaches to babyhood and beyond.

I liked juju's book too, and it helped a lot, especially for my second birth.

I haven't read her book, but I do like (most) of the blogs and articles etc by Janet Lansbury. I like her mindful and respectful approach to parenting. (But think her stuff regarding breastfeeding stinks).

On breastfeeding, if you join the ABA, you'll get there book on breastfeeding sent out to your home for free. It's very good.

EB is a marvelous resource too- for information, entertainment and support. The women on here are incredibly generous with their time, experience and encouragement.

#10 sweetpea8

Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:23 AM

Thanks again. This is so helpful. Especially things to avoid and reference to the ABA. Really appreciate it.

xx

#11 LuckyStar2015

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:00 PM

View Postjust roses, on 15 October 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

Avoid anything by Tizzie Hall and beware anything that is too rigid (Babywise another to avoid).

Oh my gosh - yes - this!!

#12 LuckyStar2015

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:04 PM

Oh yes, the ABA is great. And don't get hung up on that either. With my first bubba I had a hell of a time with BF - I had pretty severe PND and it was all related to BF. I BF fine in the end, but there was just so much pressure and I had so many problems and all the reading I did and all the professionals (lactation consultants etc) did nothing but cost me money. Same goes for baby sleep... my daughter is nearly 2 and still wakes 3-6 times a night. My biggest recommendation is to take everything you read and hear with a massive grain of salt, because no one will know your baby and you will go mad with all the different advice. I expected so much and nothing turned out the way it was 'supposed to'. I really hope that doesn't sound depressing he he he! I just mean, try to enjoy the pregnancy as much as you can and remember that all babies are different and everything you read may not work out quite the way you want / read and just enjoy the ride - that's what helped me in the end. I just gave up on all the advice and went with the flow!

#13 LuckyStar2015

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:14 PM

Oh and I've found I really like this as a resource - https://raisingchild...ASAAEgJLJvD_BwE

#14 sweetpea8

Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:36 PM

Thanks lucky, great advice! I’m all about the grain of salt, but important to be reminded to enjoy as opposed to obsess. xx

#15 Miss Purple

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:38 AM

One of my sisters swore by “What to expect when you’re expecting”. Wasn’t really my thing, personally. A fantastic resource to prepare for and to refer to in baby’s first year is “Baby Love”. I found it invaluable when I encountered issues with breastfeeding, newborn not napping, feeding or doing anything “right”. It was very reassuring and taught me to follow my gut instincts with my son, which eventually, with much persistence, meant we got a diagnosis and treatment for him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.