If your waters broke before labour, how many weeks were you?

38 replies to this topic

#1 Deep thought

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:44 PM

I want to know whether labours triggered by membranes rupturing are earlier on average. Can't find the stats anywhere (other than 30%pre term births triggered by membranes rupturing) so I'm taking the extremely scientific approach of polling essential baby.
My first pregnancy ended at 38+6 days with my membranes rupturing.
I'm now 36 weeks and trying to stare into the crystal ball of labour permutations!

#2 Seven of Nine

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:49 PM

I was 39 weeks with #4 when my waters broke over night. First three kids were late and had to be induced, so it was certainly a surprise to me! I noticed my waters had broken when I got up at 6am, started to feel some light contractions with lots of time between them at about midday and had the baby at 8pm.

Surely there would be actual studies out there. Maybe your midwife could give you some stats. Good luck with your upcoming labour 😁

#3 A NEW HOPE

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:49 PM

First broke at at 34 weeks. Delivered at 36+0.

Second broke at 26 weeks. Delivered at 30+1.

Third (after 16 miscarriage after 6 weeks), waters broke at 27 weeks. Delivered at 31+1.

#4 Moukmouk

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:55 PM

First broke at 38 weeks.
Second was planned c section at 38 with no rupture

#5 CallMeFeral

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:01 PM

What is full term? Sorry, it's been so long! Anyway it was two weeks before whatever my due date was.
For your anecdata, my other two labours did not begin with waters breaking, and one was on due date and the other within a couple of days of it - so my 'triggered by waters breaking' one was definitely the earliest.

Also it was the first child I'd planned a 2 week holiday before, rather than working right up to due date. Safe to say I was devastated! Apparently finishing up work brings on labour for me. When I called the hospital and told them, they said I didn't have to come in immediately and still had some time, I asked "like... two weeks?".
"No."

#6 HighlandPinky

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:01 PM

First pregnancy my waters broke at exactly 40 weeks.  Ds was born the following day at 40+1.

Fourth pregnancy, waters broke at 39+4.  Ds was born at 39+5.

My other 4 pregnancies, waters broke after labour had begun.

#7 hotsonfornowhere

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:03 PM

I was 37+6 when my waters broke with my third child. First child I went into labour but waters didn't break at 40+11. Second child was a scheduled C-section so number 3 took me by surprise! The C-section was scheduled to happen 10 days later.

#8 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:18 PM

37w5d was waters breaking with movie like gush of water and splat as it hit the floor making a huge puddle. DS1 was footling breech. My 38w5d scheduled cs became 37w5d emerg cs.

DS2 was evicted at 37w5d

DD put me into labour at 36w2d (after pre labour from 32wks and at a wedding the week before I did not dance as I spent the time timing contractions).

#9 Schmig

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:32 PM

With my first child  my waters broke at 36w6d and she was born within  24 hours. Interestingly my children and  all my siblings and DH's siblings were all  early.

#10 Treasure Island

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:33 PM

38 + 4 - with meconium, emergency ceaser, no labour

38 + 6 - spontaneous labour a few hours after waters broke ending in assisted delivery

38 + 3 - was supposed to be scheduled ceaser but of course did not make 39 weeks, OB had to come in on his day off to do ceaser which wasn't until several hours after waters broke, no labour.

So none of mine were straight forward but all births started by waters breaking spontaneously at 38 weeks.

#11 Lunagirl

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:39 PM

Mine broke at 39+2 and he was delivered the next day at 39+3.

#12 Deep thought

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:42 PM

This anecdata is confirming my hypothesis that water break triggering labours are earlier on average than labours where the waters break during. Most people here are before 40 weeks, often by a couple of weeks.

My theory is that if my waters don't break,  I'm going to carry the pregnancy for a bit longer than the first time (which would be good for us actually!).  Of course there's also some correlation between whether your waters broke previously and whether they will for subsequent pregnancies. I'd like to know the proper stats on that too!

#13 EmmDasher

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:42 PM

35+4, born the next day but I’d already been in the prior week to have all the drugs to forestall labour.

Also went into early labour with #2 at 34 weeks but was kept on the drugs after release from hospital and made it to my induction at 38 weeks.

My womb seems to have an eviction alarm set for 34 weeks.

#14 gc_melody

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:47 PM

Maybe try Googling PPROM for stats if this is burning curiosity :-)

I had PPROM at 34 weeks with my first. Spontaneous delivery of my first happened at 35 weeks. Missed an induction by 15min with my second, who spontaneously finally decided she wanted to meet us. Waters broke in a Hollywood style gush for that child. She's our dramatic family member. I guess aim as you mean to continue :rolleyes:

Edited by gc_melody, 11 October 2018 - 08:50 PM.

#15 Deep thought

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:54 PM

This anecdata is confirming my hypothesis that water break triggering labours are earlier on average than labours where the waters break during. Most people here are before 40 weeks, often by a couple of weeks.

My theory is that if my waters don't break,  I'm going to carry the pregnancy for a bit longer than the first time (which would be good for us actually!).  Of course there's also some correlation between whether your waters broke previously and whether they will for subsequent pregnancies. I'd like to know the proper stats on that too!

#16 Twelveyears

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:56 PM

My waters broke before the onset of labour both times.

First time was 36 +6.  Labour started about six hours after it happened and went for four hours.

Second time it was 33 +2.  Labour couldn't be prevented by drugs, started about ninety minutes later and went for about ninety minutes.

Both times I had preeclampsia and the second was going to be a scheduled Caesarian some time after 34 weeks.  But both times Hollywood style waters breaking (both times at home, thank goodness) was what actually kicked things off.

#17 Prancer is coming

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:04 PM

Child one waters broke at 39w4d.  Labour then started, child born the next day, 8 hours later.

Child 2 they broke 20 minutes before he was born (39w3d). I has been in labour beforehand for about 8 hours.

Child 3 they broke (and a lot more dramatic than they did with child one, so maybe I had a slow leak with the first) at about 39w5d.  I spent a lot of energy trying to get labour to properly start (7 hours of walking or bouncing on a ball) as due to some complications I otherwise would have been induced at the end of the day and I did not want that.  But when labour started, baby came 30 minutes later.

Edited by Prancer is coming, 11 October 2018 - 09:05 PM.

#18 nom_de_plume

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:11 PM

First waters broke at 39+5, baby born at 39+6 after 3 hours labour.

Second waters broke at 37+5, baby born at 37+5 after 45min labour.

Both times I had an inkling labour was imminent as I had been losing my mucous plug for 9 hours prior. Both times I just stood up and thought I’d wet myself, no big gush. First baby born in ED (just!), second born at home.

#19 panda eyes

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:14 PM

First pregnancy my waters broke at 38 weeks on the dot with absolutely no warning or signs of labour prior.

Second pregnancy they broke at 38+2, again with no prior symptoms.

Third pregnancy was induced at 37+1. He was a big boy so I think if left to go spontaneously it would have been at around 38 weeks again.

#20 Mooples

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:34 PM

First pregnancy waters broke at 34+0 and delivered at 36+0.

Second pregnancy waters broke at 39+1 and delivered at 39+2.

#21 SeaPrincess

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:40 PM

My first child was induced by having my waters broken at 41+1. First baby, OB didn’t think it would be enough. Labour started within an hour and lasted 6.5 hours.

Second baby, my waters broke spontaneously at 35+6. Went into labour 6 days later and delivered in less than 3 hours.

Third baby induced at 40+1, again by having waters broken. Took a bit longer to establish than the first time, but labour was about 6.5 hours.

#22 Oriental lily

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:41 PM

Five babies , only one spontaneous membranes breaking .

My first at 40.5 .

The other four were broken as part of the inductions .

#23 Lallalla

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:44 PM

Waters broke at 39+5 days and the baby came at 39+6, via emergency c-section .

#24 MooGuru

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:47 PM

Waters broke approximately 37.4 then born same day.

#25 bluesilk

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:56 PM

Mine broke at 38w second time, but early labour had already started. First one they didn't break until the midwife broke them just before giving birth. That was at 39 1/2 weeks.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.