One week in Adelaide

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:06 PM

Over September/October holidays.  No kids.

Where would you stay?  What would you do?  Where would you eat?

#2 born.a.girl

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:11 PM

Mind if I follow? We're there for a few days in early Sept and I'm wondering the same thing, although have got some accommodation.

#3 Daffy2016

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:15 PM

Ooh no kids!

Depending on budget, I would spend a few days in the hills at wineries and eating. Mt Lofty House in crafers is gorgeous and a lovely treat for somewhere specia to stay.

Could you get over to Kangaroo Island for a few days? That’s gorgeous too. Or to fleurieau peninsula.

City can be done in a day or two, depending on what you like - museum and art gallery are next to each other on north terrace in the city.

Hire a car and pretty much anything is within driving distance.

What sort of things do you like to do?

#4 seayork2002

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:17 PM

We stayed at the Mantra Hindmarsh (with a child but perfect without) we paid for a studio and when we arrived it turned out to be a 2 bed bigger than some units I have lived in. (so we went back not long after and stayed again)

Next to a great Indian restaurant also

We loved the food market

Edited by seayork2002, 22 August 2018 - 04:17 PM.

#5 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:26 PM

Should add, by a week I mean during the week, so 5 days.  We'll have our car with us.

I was thinking it might be easiest to stay somewhere rather centrally and just do day trips instead of staying in a few different places?

What is parking like in/around the city?

Edited by Green Gummy Bear, 22 August 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#6 JinksNewton

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:30 PM

If you are staying in the city, I'd recommend being within walking distance of the Central Markets. Lots to see there and heaps of restaurants and cafes at every price point. Going along North Terrace there's the Museum, Art Gallery and Botanical Gardens (I particularly love the Gardens) If you have a car it only takes 40 minutes or so to get up to Hahndorf, 80 minutes to the Fleurieu Peninsula, 50 minutes in the other direction you are in the Barossa.
If you have any specific questions feel free to ask :)

ETA parking is pretty good in town, lots of accommodation has onsite parking theres some street parking, lots of Uparks and honestly so much in the city is in walking distance or just grab the tram or bus...there are a couple free ones

Edited by JinksNewton, 22 August 2018 - 04:33 PM.

#7 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:42 PM

McLaren Vale and surrounds. Food and wine. And beach.

#8 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:46 PM

Our itinerary looks somewhat like this (middle days the order can be rearranged)

Day 1: arrive, check in, potter around city for the afternoon/evening

Day 2: Drive out to visit the toy factory and whispering wall (are these worth the visit - especially as we won't have kids with us?)

Day 3: Glenelg and the likes

Day 4: Museum, Zoo etc.

Day 5: Check out and drive home via Hahndorf.

Neither of us are wine drinkers so aren't heading toward the Barossa.  

Is there something spectacular we should see or do that I've not thought of?  Or better way to spend the time we have got?

#9 Let-it-go

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:21 PM

Blackwood bistro
Peel St Restaurant
Golden Boy
Gondola Gondola
Jolleys Boathouse
Concubine
Andres Cucina
Rigonis
Chianti
2KW is a must for a drink, even better for dinner.
Africola

Google all of those and see what appeals.  They are all fairly expensive but excellent restaurants.  

Parking in the city is fine.

Lol, I was just about to say everyone will tell you to go to Hahndorf but the place makes my skin crawl and is full of hideous junky tourist tat shops and horrible food places and then I saw your last day :ninja:.  

I prefer Henley and Grange to Glenelg.  Excellent walking paths.  The beaches are lovely.  Further south are even better.

Agree that Botanic Gardens are lovely as is our Art Gallery.
I’m a bit stuck if you don’t like wine, SA is all about wine :laugh:.

Edited by Ice Queen, 22 August 2018 - 05:22 PM.

#10 AdelTwins

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:22 PM

View PostGreen Gummy Bear, on 22 August 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

Our itinerary looks somewhat like this (middle days the order can be rearranged)
Day 2: Drive out to visit the toy factory and whispering wall (are these worth the visit - especially as we won't have kids with us?)
Not really worth it, unless you are a collector of “big things” photos. Kids love it though.

I’d do a day trip to Kangaroo Island if your budget permits.

#11 AdelTwins

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:24 PM

Also, Monarto Zoo is far better than Adelaide Zoo. Check out the new Lion 360 experience.

#12 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:31 PM

View PostAdelTwins, on 22 August 2018 - 05:22 PM, said:

Not really worth it, unless you are a collector of “big things” photos. Kids love it though.

I’d do a day trip to Kangaroo Island if your budget permits.

Can that be done in a day?  What I've read looks like it's 2 hour drive plus 1 hour on ferry one way, so would be 6 hours total travel.

#13 born.a.girl

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:39 PM

View PostGreen Gummy Bear, on 22 August 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

Can that be done in a day?  What I've read looks like it's 2 hour drive plus 1 hour on ferry one way, so would be 6 hours total travel.

Neighbours who went said that you really need to spend five days there to be able to have good look around.  Plus the ferry's not cheap, I'd certainly not be spending that much money for one day.  You're right, too, it's a couple of hours drive from Adelaide.

We are going for two days from Melbourne (flying/driving don't know yet) and hoping to add the five days for KI.   (Revolving around a very frail, elderly parent.)

#14 hills mum bec

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:43 PM

I wouldn't bother with toy factory & whispering wall without kids.  Hahndorf can be a full day so I would do that instead of doing on the way home.  The Haus is great for a meal in Hahndorf.

The Central Market is a great place to visit.  The Zoo is really good but don't know if I would bother with the museum.

You would be hard pushed to do Kangaroo island as a day trip.  You are right, two hour drive to Cape Jervis then 1 hour on the ferry.  There is so much to see and do on Kangaroo Island that a day  trip would only touch the surface.

Victor Harbor is really nice and it's a nice walk over the causeway to Granite Island or you can catch the horse drawn tram. Glenelg is nice to visit.

We don't really eat out a lot but one of the places we do love in town is Concubine if you like Asian food.

#15 AdelTwins

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:45 PM

If you a big seal fan it’s worth it ;)

I’d only recommend the one day tours as you can relax on the bus. If I was driving, I’d want a minimum 3-4 days.

https://www.sealink....urs/1-day-tours

Or just do Monarto Zoo and dinner on the river at Mannum?

ETA - ++ to PP - I totally forgot about Victor Harbour!

Edited by AdelTwins, 22 August 2018 - 05:46 PM.

#16 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:10 PM

View PostIce Queen, on 22 August 2018 - 05:21 PM, said:

Lol, I was just about to say everyone will tell you to go to Hahndorf but the place makes my skin crawl and is full of hideous junky tourist tat shops and horrible food places and then I saw your last day :ninja:.  

I prefer Henley and Grange to Glenelg.  Excellent walking paths.  The beaches are lovely.  Further south are even better.

Agree that Botanic Gardens are lovely as is our Art Gallery.
I’m a bit stuck if you don’t like wine, SA is all about wine :laugh:.

+1

#17 Expelliarmus

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:48 PM

I was wondering why all the recs for KI instead of Victor!!! You can’t do KI in a day.

I would switch out Day 2 for Victor Harbour and Granite island. Toy factory and whispering wall not much chop, really and won’t take all day either. If you do those, then you’ll need to also drive the Barossa or do Hahndorf.

By Glenelg etc do you mean other beaches? Semaphore? Grange? Henley? Or southern beaches?

Personally I would do Morialta Falls and Mt Lofty over beaches in September/October.

Ultimately I would (also not being a wine drinker):

Day 1: check in and potter in city.

Day 2: Victor Harbour and Granite Island

Day 3: Morialta Falls/Mt Lofty - that’s a hefty walk so a restful arvo

Day 4: Monarto Zoo unless you are absolutely dying to see the Pandas in which case I would do Adelaide Zoo and Glenelg for the late afternoon evening.

Day 5: checkout and home through Hahndorf.

I have heard Adelaide Oval tours are good and you can do a roof climb there if you are so inclined. You could do Adelaide Zoo and Oval in one day (subject to Oval booking) and do afternoon beach after Morialta/Lofty.

Edited by Expelliarmus, 22 August 2018 - 06:50 PM.

#18 MurderBritches

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:59 PM

There is a fabulous little Italian Restaurant just down from the Hilton that does the most amazing food. I think it is called Trattoria? Anyway it was walking ditance for DD and I when we were there last year. It was so good we went back again.

#19 Toddlerandme

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:05 PM

Definitely central market. Something for everyone there.

The zoo, art gallery and botanic gardens are all good. Adelaide also has a lot of smaller museums (not just the main state one) if you have a particular interest - art, cricket (Bradman collection), history, trains, maritime history, etc.

If by toy factory you mean the rocking horse at Gumeracha, I’m another who wouldn’t visit there without children. It is a great place to visit with kids though.

If you go to the Adelaide Hills, the Mt Lofty Botanic Gardens are beautiful. There are also lots of walking trails in the hills, and cheese makers and chocolate places.

#20 AdelTwins

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:30 PM

I’ve forgotten how many things there are to do here!

#radelaide ;)

#21 seayork2002

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:32 PM

I love adelaide and have great memories of there as a kid but i have to admit i too am not a handorf fan really

#22 cvbn

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:40 PM

Out at Port Adelaide, Semaphore Marine wild life park to see the dolphins but take your own lavatory paper.

#23 Let-it-go

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:41 PM

I was coming back in to mention Morialta as well!  I bushwalk there quite regularly and the view never fails to take my breath away.  The 2nd falls hike is my favourite, takes 1.5hrs, pushes you but wonderful views and you’ve had a serious workout.  

An idea with the central market is to head in, have breakfast at one of the many spots (I love Lucia’s but there are trendier spots), grab lots of picnic food - Dough for bread, Smelly Cheese Shop for cheese and then head to Mt Lofty Botanic Gardens for a picnic lunch and a wander.  

My dad did the Adelaide Oval tour with my nephews and they all loved it.  If you’re a cricket fan.

View PostAilurophiliac, on 22 August 2018 - 06:59 PM, said:

There is a fabulous little Italian Restaurant just down from the Hilton that does the most amazing food. I think it is called Trattoria? Anyway it was walking ditance for DD and I when we were there last year. It was so good we went back again.

La Trattoria I think.

#24 BBC

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:57 PM

Motor museum at Birdwood if you like old cars.
Berenberg

#25 born.a.girl

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:14 PM

Another who's not a fan of Hahndorf, but that's because I saw it in the seventies, when tourists came to see it as it was, before shops specifically for tourist became so common.  ETa: But if I'd never seen it before, it would certainly be on my list.

Did the Glenelg beach trip on the tram, which was fun.

Also last trip, did the Adelaide Oval Roof climb.  Good chance for any daredevil to show their stripes leaning out over the goalposts held by a steel rope.  I couldn't bring myself to let go of both hands on the rope, but my husband did - great shot.  Really interesting experience, and fantastic view of 'the hill'.

Edited by born.a.girl, 22 August 2018 - 08:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.