Over 40 and TTC with IVF/ICSI #30

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#76 Blue Lavender

Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:46 PM

Gosh it's tough, esp when its so easy for some. Not going to make it easier when Monday is a public holiday so more time to think. Im thinking of you. I hope you do have something on the weekend which will provide a good distraction.

#77 Theia

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:06 AM

I just hope it's all worth it blue lavendar, and I haven't wasted all this time and money for nothing.

Keep me posted on today's report, have everything crossed for you.

Edited by Theia, 29 September 2018 - 09:33 AM.

#78 Blue Lavender

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:39 AM

hi- won't know until tomorrow. One is in the early stage of blastocyst but not enough cells for testing. The other is in the early stages of blastocyst but still a long way to go. So I have another 24 hours of misery.

#79 Theia

Posted 29 September 2018 - 11:12 AM

Sounds promising blue lavendar, you got both to blastocyst! I wonder if the new med helped with quality. Will stalk again tomorrow, hoping they both make it to testing.

#80 Blue Lavender

Posted 29 September 2018 - 11:39 AM

thanks Theia. I tried to get the scientist to say something like yes more probability than not on having one- but just gave me no idea. Thank you for being more positive than me. To date, I have had 15 embryos tested. Times than by $700 each......

#81 Blue Lavender

Posted 30 September 2018 - 10:56 AM

Hi nothing made it.  Will speak to our fs this week.  Might be time to call it a day. I have actually found this week really tough from only getting 2 on Monday to the calls and waiting this week.  I will see what he says.

#82 Theia

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:49 PM

Bugger, I really thought you were in with a chance, definitely seemed like an improvement getting 2/2 to day 5. Will be interested to hear what your fs has to say. I understand what you mean though, it's just so tough to keep going through the disappointments.

#83 Theia

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:56 PM

Blood test results are in confirming bfn.

How did your fs appointment go?

#84 trying again

Posted 02 October 2018 - 01:55 PM

Hey Theia I thought I would jump on here as well.  It helps to know others my age are going through this as well :)

#85 Laela

Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:27 PM

Hi all, I've been following the various buddy groups but this is my first post.
I'm 43 and 1dp3dt with 2 embies.
Really feeling the time strain already and driving myself crazy with Google and YouTube.

#86 cynergy

Posted 13 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

Hi ladies! New to this group but certainly not new to TTC.

I'm 42, turning 43 in July and I have 4 children, aged 21, 17, 14 and 9.

Hubby and I have been trying for the last 8 years on our own and had 2 MCs during that time, so we decided it was high time to get some help since we're not getting any younger.

Been using Letrozole for the past 6 months with no joy and this month we've started on a cycle for IUI. Been using Letrozole with Puregon shots and had our scan today, CD10 and theres 1 follicle, 16mm and two others at around 13mm. Trigger shot tomorrow and IUI on Wednesday.

Has anyone had success with this? Also, I'm disappointed there's only one decent sized follicle. Do you think the other two would get big enough by the trigger to be included? FS seems to think just the one.

#87 Green lady

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:04 PM

Hi - I did one IUI when I was 41 - didn’t work. My FS did it because I wanted to try it but his advice was that IUI has a very low success rate in your 40’s. I moved on to IVF with PGS which was successful on the 4th cycle. Out of over 60 eggs collected I had one chromosomally normal embryo, which amazingly worked. I was 43 and had DS two months before I turned 44. IUI may work for you but I would give some thought to moving on to IVF if you want the best chance.

#88 Gaby 40

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:14 PM

Hi Ladies,

I'm also new to this group.  My partner and I have been TTC for almost a year without success.  We had one chemical pregnancy but I've just turned 40 so we have started IVF.  

Last month was my first stim cycle but unfortunately my uterus contained fluid and the FS said it would be a freeze all cycle. She also did a hysteroscopy and D&C which showed adhesions and a fibroid so that isn't helping the situation.

We got 2 embryos to day 5/6 so they are on ice while I stim again this cycle to try and bank some more.  Unfortunately on my first scan yesterday the fluid is still there so the FS is just monitoring but I feel this cycle will be freeze all again.

I have another scan booked Monday so I guess we will find out more information then.  

Has anyone else had this issue?  

Cheers Gaby

#89 Sammy2Be

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:11 PM

Hello ladies, quite new here and finding it a bit difficult to follow especially with the acronyms and all but I am 42 and TTC with IVF plus PGD. DH and I found some options overseas and I'm leaning a lot on a clinic in Cyprus. Contacted them already and they are suggesting some tests.  I would like to know some advice from you ladies and if there is anyone here like me who is about to go on this journey I would want to share with you this scary yet wonderful experience.

Edited by Sammy2Be, 06 July 2019 - 06:12 PM.

#90 Mara6

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:47 PM

Hi Sammy and Gaby and other ladies if you're still around.  

This thread isn't very active unfortunately.  You're all welcome to jump on the Ready Set Go thread,  it's very active with lots of experience in ttc and ivf etc. A few of us are over 40, a few with recent bfps :)

Sammy heading to Cyprus is very exciting, i think everyone would be interested if you want to share your story and will definitely give advice re the tests you've had recommended. xx

Gaby i hope things are going well with your cycles.  I'm interested that you're allowed to bank embryos but i do hope you've been able to get to transfer in the last couple of months xx

#91 Gaby 40

Posted 09 July 2019 - 02:50 PM

Hi Mara/Sammy,

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get any transfers in at all.  When I went back to see my FS she recommended that it be a freeze all cycle again and that I have the fibroid removed.  I managed to get 4 embryos in that cycle so we now have 6 frozen.

The surgery was scheduled and I'm now almost 1 month post surgery.  I have to wait 2 more months before we can try again.  The FS also found some endometriosis which was removed as well.  The waiting is the worst but I hope this was the reason we were having difficulty.  I'm still waiting for my first AF to arrive which is now 5 days overdue but the FS did say this could mess with my cycles.

I had posted in the TTC cycles but I honestly can't keep up with the speed of it.  I work full time in a hospital which involves shift work and I am studying as well which leaves not much time not to mention I have 2 older kids in high school to look after.

Just on the banking of embryos, I asked my FS and she said I could even do another freeze all cycle during my recovery which I am considering but it is all adding up $$$.

Sammy: Just wondering what the overseas clinic can offer that Aussie clinics can't (won't).  

Good luck to all xx

#92 Mara6

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:08 PM

Wow Gaby that all sounds pretty epic but also really positive! It's fantastic to have 6 embies waiting for you and you're probably right the fibroid may have been stopping you all this time.  And the endo, it's great your surgeon sorted that in the same procedure. It sounds like you'll be in with a really good chance,  but i think worth it to let your body get over the surgery. Once your cycles are back to normal you'll be giving your embryo the best chance xx

Very interesting about banking embryos, I'll be very happy to get more than one next time!

Sammy I'm interested to hear the benefits of the Cyprus clinic too:)

#93 Sammy2Be

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:49 PM

Hello @Mara6 so happy you replied!  How do I go to the Ready Set Go thread dear?  Yes Cyprus would be wonderful indeed, just asking the details for the pretests for now but haven't gotten to finalizing with DH yet but quite sure we will finalize before month end.  Got to know another mom going there from another forum and I want to wait for her direct feedback once she gets there.

Hi @Gaby 40 wow your story is very interesting.  This will be my first try so totally new to it all.  So amazing!  I've been reading up and as far as I know not all clinics in Europe offering PGD, i think its illegal here.  So we're looking at Cyprus.  Heard they offer PGD with no hassles.  I had it confirmed too - chatted with their coordinator and she's very helpful.  And I do look forward to the visit.  Me and DH will go together so we're working out our skeds.

This is the clinic I am feeling good about https://www.dunyaivf.com/en read that they were the number one clinic in Cyprus too so that's a good sign.

#94 Gaby 40

Posted 11 July 2019 - 04:40 PM

Hi Sammy,

Where abouts are you? I'm in Vic and my fertility Centre definitely do PGD. Seems a long way to go for testing.

Good luck what ever you choose

Cheers

Gaby

#95 Sammy2Be

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:45 AM

Hi Gaby, I'm in Scotland. My doc was very pessimistic about my having PGD at my age and lots of complications too.  Besides me and DH like the idea of trying overseas.

#96 Gaby 40

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:02 AM

View PostSammy2Be, on 13 July 2019 - 10:45 AM, said:

Hi Gaby, I'm in Scotland. My doc was very pessimistic about my having PGD at my age and lots of complications too.  Besides me and DH like the idea of trying overseas.

Hi Sammy,

Sorry, how naive of me to think that all members are in Australia just because it is an Australian site!

Is there an age restriction on getting PGD testing?  I haven't had mine tested as the FS would like to try without first given the cost and if I have failed cycles then see where we go from there but I am 40 and prefer not to waste embryos trying. However testing does come with its own risks of damaging embryos so its a risk v benefit I guess.  So the FS is hoping one will stick without testing.

I'm still waiting for AF to come... Over a week late now

Mara: I hope you get more than 1 embryo as well. My egg collection conversion rate was 22%.  I have no idea if that is good but it is emotionally draining waiting and hearing that another x amount didn't make it through the night.  

I try and focus on the fact that they were most likely damaged and would have ended in MC and therefore its all for the best but when you're hopped up on all the drugs emotions can be hard to keep in check.

Cheers

Gaby

#97 Sammy2Be

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:05 PM

Hi Gaby I'll ask them that question, haven't really gone to much specifics yet - but I'm glad you ladies are here to guide me.  Now I have a better idea on what to expect and what to ask.  Me and DH are just figuring out our schedule now for our first appointment.

Hi Mara - good luck to you please keep sharing and I will keep you updated too when we go there.

#98 Gaby 40

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:19 PM

Hi Sammy,

There is so much support out there which is great.

AF finally arrived yesterday so now the waiting game begins.  

Have you got an appointment with the FS?  Good luck!

Cheers

Gaby

#99 Sammy2Be

Posted 19 July 2019 - 01:38 PM

Hi Gaby! Happy for you dear!  What's the latest update?  No we haven't yet still waiting for DH to make decision on sked - he's finding it hard to get out from work.

#100 Gaby 40

Posted 19 July 2019 - 03:13 PM

Hi Sammy,

We just have to wait this cycle out.  If we try now it'll be too soon after the surgery if a miracle were to occur and I risk a ruptured uterus.

I hear you re: getting out of work. I haven't told work we're trying but luckily I do some shift work so have been able to schedule some things around shifts but it is hard and my FS is close!

Cheers

Gaby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.