Help us decide between these 3 girls names!

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 such5376

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:02 PM

We have two weeks to go until arrival of DD and have narrowed down our list to three names but need some help for what would work best in Australian context.

I am Australian living overseas and partner is from Argentina, and we aim to move to Australia long term in the next couple of years.  We currently have one 2 year old, Oliver William.  

Currently our options are:

Isabel Sofia  (nn Issie)
Camilla Sofia (nn Cami or Millie)
Emilia Sofia  (nn Emi)

We want a name that is pronounced similarly in English and Spanish and will fit in well in Australia.  Want to avoid any bad associations (e.g. I worry about association with Camilla Parker-Bowles but is this justified?).  We also realise we'll probably be using the nn mostly so need names that work well as full name and as a nice nn (and in combo with Ollie).  

Your thoughts greatly appreciated.  It is driving us crazy as we like all options and after many weeks have lost any objectivity!

#2 alchetta

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:07 PM

I would rule out Emilia as I expect you will be forever correcting Amelia.
Camilla sounds a bit old fashioned to my ears and it's true Charles and Camilla are prominent in the Australian context (just read the other thread on royals!).
That leaves Isabel which is beautiful, classic, easy and pronounced most closely to the Spanish.

#3 rosie28

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:24 PM

Isabel and all the spelling variants is incredibly common at the moment. I like it but something to keep in mind.

I love Camilla.

Emilia is beautiful but there will be confusion with Amelia.

So not real issues. Three lovely names!

#4 deedee15

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:26 PM

Isabel Sophia is very pretty I also like Emilia Sophia, but as the pp suggested, she may be called Amelia, rather than how you want Emilia pronounced.

#5 BBC

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:27 PM

There are two Isobels/Isabelle or any other variation  in every class in my primary school, so I would avoid due to popularity.

Camilla or Emilia ( using Emi ) are nice I think.

#6 coolbreeze

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:42 PM

Camilla is lovely.
The nn milla is pretty as well!
CB

#7 Brumby Jack

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:48 PM

I like Emilia Sofia with the nickname Emi. Isabel Sofia is nice too. I also like Sofia as a first name.

#8 little lion

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:56 PM

I like Camilla. Familiar but not overused in Australia. I don’t love it with another name ending in A, which makes me think Isabel Sofia is a better combo?

#9 Islander

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:03 PM

Love Camilla!

#10 daisy007

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:11 PM

Camilla is my favourite, followed by Isabel but I really don’t like the nickname Issie.

#11 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:14 PM

Love Isabel Sofia (although I orefer Isobel).

I know a few Camilla's from young girls to early 20s and my age (40s). I don't mind it, but like PP question the a a ending.

#12 Threelittleducks

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:15 PM

Isabelle and every possible variation is exceptionally popular in Australia right now.

Emilia will be confused for Amelia, but if you don't mind this is a lovely name, although also popular.

I love the name Camilla and would probably go for this. Camilla may well be princess Consort / Queen in the next 10 years, but personally I wouldn't let that bother me.

Other similar names that work well in both languages - Marilla, Esme, Eleanor

you could always wait until she is born and see which suits her best?

Congratulations :-)

#13 Imaginary friend

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:30 PM

I like Isabel Sofia best.

#14 Franny and Zooey

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:04 PM

I like Emila, and Emi is a great nn.

#15 fols

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:05 PM

I actually love them all. Sorry I'm not too helpful but they would all fit in here in Australia.

We have an Emilia in my daughters' class and there's not a big problem adjusting from the more common Amelia.

I also love Camille if you are worried about the associations of Camilla.

#16 Hellbent

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:12 PM

Camilla.  Whilst it's pretty, I fear Isabel and all its various spellings will become the "Debbie" of the 2050's.

#17 AdelTwins

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:16 PM

I wouldn't use Camilla as she will be Queen in the next few years.

#18 AliasMater

The name Isobel and it's hundred spelling variations has been done to death. I don't think we need any more.

I'm not entirely fond of Camilla but it's the best of the 3. Unless you change Emilia to Amelia. Amelia is lovely.

#19 harryhoo

I have an Emilia, nn Emi. She mostly goes by Emi. I love it and we haven't had many issues with confusing it for Amelia. I usually spell it out when I'm on the phone booking appointments to save any confusion. But once people know there's no issue.

I love all your names though.

#20 kerilyntaryn

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:33 PM

I like Isabel the best from your list.  Emilia would get confused with Amelia.  Camilla is nice, but always think of Camilla Parker-Bowles,  what about Camille, Emma, Amy or Emily

#21 fancie shmancie

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:38 PM

Isabel Sofia - the winner for me, although I prefer Isobel spelling.

Camilla Sofia - I love Camilla but don't like first and middle names that end in the same sound, in this case an a sound.  With a different middle name I would have picked Camilla.

Emilia Sofia - see above regarding same sound endings.

#22 Gudrun

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:44 PM

Seriously I can't help.  They're all great names.  Can't split them.

At least it's only three:)

#23 littleboysmum

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:47 PM

I love Camilla

#24 magic_marker

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:51 PM

Agree with PP. 2 ending in (a) sound doesn't really go.
Isobel Sofia is lovely.
Emily Sofia is nice.
Not a fan of Camilla or Camille. They sound Frumpy to me for some reason.

#25 Pip_longstockings

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:53 PM

My preference would be Emilia, Camilla and then Isabel.

I know an Emilia and people do not confuse it with Amelia. She mostly gets called Emi or Millie.

I wouldn't worry about Camilla Parker-Bowles, I don't think people would assume you named your child after her. I also know lots of people named Elizabeth, Charles, William and Harry and I have never assumed a connection to the royal family. I think it is a great name but I prefer Camille.

Isabel is supper popular. I feel over done, my son has about 5 Isabel/Isabellas in his grade at school. One of the most popular names along with Alice, Ruby and Ava/Eva.

How about Sofia as a first name? Sofia Camille?

I would choose that over the others.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.