Using Human Growth Hormone (Saizen) in IVF cycle?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MsHopeful18

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

Hi all,

Hoping someone is able to share their experience with using this injection?

My FS has suggested I try it with IVF#3 in the hope of getting better numbers and/or quality. It’s very costly at over $1k and I am on the fence about using it when there doesn’t seem to be a great deal of evidence about it.

He is also wanting me to use Synarel as a trigger instead of Ovidrel so I am quietly freaking out about the fact that this seems to not be used much when someone is already a poor responder like me?

Thanks so much in advance!! I have about 2 weeks to decide before we start.

#2 TimeWillcome

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:15 AM

I realise you posted this a few weeks ago and got no replies. I’m sorry I can’t be helpful but what did you decide MsHopeful18 about using Saizen? I’m in a similar situation with it being recommended to me by my FS but I’m hesitant due to the cost and to not knowing if it actually helps and how it would help.

Can I ask why your FS recommended it for you? My issues haven’t been confirmed but egg quality certainly isn’t great (it’s awful actually) so contributing to my lack of success so far with IVF.

I’m sorry my response isn’t an answer to your question but I’m keen to hear if you decided to use it and if you did how did it go? Also, cost wise I was told it was over 1k as well. I phoned quite a few pharmacies most said they didn’t stock it and couldn’t order it and only 1 actually gave me a price quote. others said they could order but couldn’t give me a price unless I confirmed the order and would buy.

Keen to hear what you decided and how things are going for you now.

MsHopeful18, on 30 May 2018 - 08:52 PM, said:

Hi all,

Hoping someone is able to share their experience with using this injection?

My FS has suggested I try it with IVF#3 in the hope of getting better numbers and/or quality. It’s very costly at over $1k and I am on the fence about using it when there doesn’t seem to be a great deal of evidence about it.

He is also wanting me to use Synarel as a trigger instead of Ovidrel so I am quietly freaking out about the fact that this seems to not be used much when someone is already a poor responder like me?

Thanks so much in advance!! I have about 2 weeks to decide before we start.

Edited by TimeWillcome, 15 June 2018 - 12:19 AM.

#3 MsHopeful18

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:23 AM

I have decided to wait out another cycle before starting our 3rd round as I have only just started taking DHEA. I haven't decided about Saizen yet, I think I will probably end up doing it as this will be our "throw everything at it" third round of IVF.

My FS recommended it because I am a poor responder with only 6 eggs collected out of two cycles, and none grew to blastocyst by day 5. He acknowledged it wasn't a huge amount to base it on but thinks I have quite poor quality eggs as my husband's test all came back really good.

Good luck deciding too and let me know what you decide! Doesn't seem to be widely used here at all.

#4 Wonderstruck

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:30 PM

I’ve used Synarel as a trigger. My FS did it as we were doing ivf to screen out a genetic disease so we’re pushing for a high number of eggs and they wanted to reduce the risk of OHSS - they didn’t want to do a fresh transfer after the Synarel trigger.

What have you decided? Did the doctor outline why the change might help?

#5 MsHopeful18

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:55 PM

Wonderstruck, on 18 June 2018 - 08:30 PM, said:

I’ve used Synarel as a trigger. My FS did it as we were doing ivf to screen out a genetic disease so we’re pushing for a high number of eggs and they wanted to reduce the risk of OHSS - they didn’t want to do a fresh transfer after the Synarel trigger.

What have you decided? Did the doctor outline why the change might help?

My FS did say something about trying Synarel because of the different way it makes the pituitary gland respond but I was so overwhelmed I didn't really make sense of it.

I am a poor responder so no risk of OHSS, he said it does cause the lining to be less receptive so I would need both Crinone and Ovidrel clicks as luteal support.

We've decided to wait another month for DHEA to work and then will try with all the new changes and hope third time is the lucky one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.