Eleanor?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 123Babies4Me

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:16 AM

I’m back in the name thread!

At 35 weeks, DH and I have settled on a boys name. At the moment the girls name we are running with is Eleanor (would probably shorten to Ella). I’m still sitting on the fence with it.

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Our other kids are Asher, Bethany, Lydia and Clara.

#2 zeldazonk

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:25 AM

I really love it! Good nickname options too Elle, Ellie, Nora, Ella. I think Ella is really sweet.

Other ideas: Alice, Harriet, Anna, Emily, Ivy, Stella, Charlotte

Edited by zeldazonk, 30 May 2018 - 06:28 AM.

#3 Elle2k17

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:57 AM

I love it 😍 So many sweet nn and it’s actually on our names list - but Dh is unsure - he’s a car guy and it has strong reference to Gone in Sixty Seconds.

It’s actually a long form of Norah for us as due to our last name we couldn’t use Norah in full so Elanor nn Nora is possibly a good compromise.

Let us know what name you settle on 😊

#4 BBC

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:01 AM

Nice

I like Ellie for short

#5 ~J_F~

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:03 AM

Makes me think of gone in 60 seconds too but other than that it’s ok, nms though.

#6 Astrocyte

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:06 AM

Love Eleanor. Loads of nickname options as well.

#7 molinero

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:18 AM

I love it. Grew up with a relative 2 yrs younger than me called Eleanore and she loves her name. So for me it's a normal girls' name, even though other ppl might rarely see it used. Also comes with great nicknames.

it's not too popular which I also like.

It also goes great with your existing names!

Congratulations on the pending addition

#8 blimkybill

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:19 AM

I think it goes beautifully with your other childrens names.
I love it too but am biased as I have one myself.

#9 Hands Up

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:24 AM

I like it and I’d use Ellie as a nickname.

#10 Helga Hufflepuff

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:09 AM

I love it. I know 2 Eleanors, one gets Nell and the other gets Lena (family is from a European background). It has a thousand nicknames and they're all pretty cute.

#11 Gudrun

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:33 AM

It's NMS but it's a good name and a good fit.  If the nickname were Nell/Nellie for me it become very attractive.

#12 somila

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:37 AM

Very much my style. :)

#13 leosmum

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:11 AM

I adore it!

#14 Mimikyu

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:19 AM

I love it, it was on my list for DD, but DH vetoed it.

Classic name, great nickname options, and doesn't feel wrong on a two year old or a 70 year old.

#15 MsLaurie

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:19 AM

I like Eleanor. Lots of kickarse historical women were Eleanor’s!
Or if you’re thinking it would be mainly Ella, that is just fine as a full name too.

#16 little lion

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:22 AM

Good choice and fits with the other names.

#17 Apageintime

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

I really like it.

#18 AliasMater

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

I don't mind it but really dislike Ella. My sister called her DD Ella and there are few names I like less. Nora though I find stunning.

#19 seayork2002

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:48 AM

I like the name but I don't like shortened versions, if you like Ella why not just use Ella?

#20 123Babies4Me

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

Thanks so much for your feedback everyone 😊 are there any other names in this vein that you think I could use instead??

#21 Helga Hufflepuff

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

View Post123Babies4Me, on 30 May 2018 - 12:11 PM, said:

Thanks so much for your feedback everyone ������ are there any other names in this vein that you think I could use instead??

Eleanor is still my favourite, but similar options could be:

Ellen
Helen
Helena
Eleni
Elaine
Elena
Eileen
Lenora
Elise
Elyssa
Lani
Leanne
Leah
Leia
Isla
Elodie
Laurel
Yanny (couldn't help myself).

Edited by Helga Hufflepuff, 30 May 2018 - 12:22 PM.

#22 Lou-bags

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

Yesssss to Eleanor!

My number one girl’s name (DH always says no- but then we’ve wound up with 2 boys so I’ve never had to fight for it!). She would have been Nora as a nn as my boys have an Aunty Ellie.

I also like:
Josephine
Elisabeth
Elspeth
Astrid
Georgia
Nora
Catherine/Katherine/Katharine

#23 wiglet

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:31 PM

The best girl's name ever!  OK, so I'm definitely biased, as that's what we called our eldest, shortened to Elly or El.  She used to hate the full version when she was younger, but is starting to like its style, now that she is on the cusp of teenager-hood.

She also appreciates its strong woman overtones:  Eleanor of Aquitaine (for whom she was named, and one of my favourite historical figures), Eleanor Roosevelt, etc.

I remember that was one of my non-negotiables, before we even got married - if we had a girl, she was going to be called Eleanor.  Just as well my husband likes the name, too!

#24 Lou-bags

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:44 PM

View PostHelga Hufflepuff, on 30 May 2018 - 12:18 PM, said:

Laurel
Yanny (couldn't help myself).

😂😂😂👏🏻

#25 mayahlb

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

I love Eleanor. I think it has a timelessness to it. It also has a range of nicknames (I prefer Nora over Ella). I'm also very fond of Clara.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.