Religious hate speech

• Please log in to reply
610 replies to this topic

#551 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:40 AM

I have no idea why IF keeps getting air time. I prefer that everyone ignores him. He says nothing of substance.

Just because he can kick a ball or take a hit-up does not mean his opinion on other matters should be listened to or prioritised.

#552 purplekitty

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:59 PM

View PostYodaTheWrinkledOne, on 18 November 2019 - 11:40 AM, said:

I have no idea why IF keeps getting air time. I prefer that everyone ignores him. He says nothing of substance.

Just because he can kick a ball or take a hit-up does not mean his opinion on other matters should be listened to or prioritised.
Because he is the poster boy for the right wing conservatives who want to pass legislation to protect religious hate speech.
They are financially supporting his case against Rugby Australia and control the media narrative.

Ignoring what we consider the fringe and the delusional is what got us into this sh*tshow we are in now.
Even if we know facts are important there are many out there who prefer to believe lies and misinformation.
And they vote.

#553 JBH

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:16 PM

At this point, the more “out there” he gets, the better. Let people see the kind of nonsense people are talking about protecting under the guise of freedoms of religion. This is not some kind of “mild” reservations about SSM, the kind that have been characterised (wrongly) as seeking to respect same sex relationships while preserving the religious of marriage, this is out and out homophobia.

(For the record, I think all of it is homophobia, but there were plenty of people trying to draw a distinction between objecting to relationships other than those between a CIS het woman and a CIs het man, and objecting to restricting the definition of marriage. Aiming for some kind of acceptable face on homophobia. Surely all pretence of that is gone once you preach literal burning as God’s punishment.)

Edit to add: this is not a well thought out post (posted quickly in anger). In fact there are all sorts of interesting questions raised by the sermon. As an employee, should this kind of thing be relevant (given it’s different to a social media post where you are also pictured with your jersey)? Should people be free to say these things generally? If no, should they be protected where linked to religion?

Edited by JBH, 18 November 2019 - 05:49 PM.

#554 Lunafreya

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:27 PM

I am waiting for him to come out as gay ;)

#555 seayork2002

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:09 PM

How does know?, he being the sole person on the planet who has the only direct link to god?.

(and no I am not saying I believe him but I do wish someone actually said 'how do you actually know that?' just to see what he says)

but yes I also wish he would stop getting coverage as that is what he wants

#556 Freddie'sMum

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:16 PM

Seayork - he knows because his father told him.  His father is the force behind IF - he is the one who founded their church based on Old Testament beliefs and his father is the one who encouraged him with all of his public statements.

I too wish that the media wouldn't give him any coverage.  IF and his horrible, hate filled family are just oxygen thieves.

#557 Apple14

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:16 PM

View PostMarigoldMadge, on 17 November 2019 - 11:31 PM, said:

What a d*ck.

This

#558 someoneanon

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:55 PM

I don't agree with him at all. I do believe he has the right to privately spout this rubbish. He said it in "private" in a church. Whilst I abhor the views, I do believe he should be allowed to do so.

#559 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:03 PM

View Postsomeoneanon, on 18 November 2019 - 04:55 PM, said:

I don't agree with him at all. I do believe he has the right to privately spout this rubbish. He said it in "private" in a church. Whilst I abhor the views, I do believe he should be allowed to do so.
Anything said from the pulpit/lecture stand in a "church" is not private. He was not having a private conversation with one or two people. He was preaching.

But yes, I also believe in free speech.  But that doesn't absolve you for the consequences and responsibilities of having free speech. You say something that creates hate and division within society, you should expect some backlash.

#560 Soontobegran

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:07 PM

View Postsomeoneanon, on 18 November 2019 - 04:55 PM, said:

He was in a public space.

#561 Anonforthistime

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:20 PM

I’m a Christian and would walk out of any church service where that kind of rubbish was spouted from the pulpit.
IF is from a very narrow, fundamentalist branch of religion that has nothing to do with the love and compassion that Jesus demonstrated.
I wish the media would stop giving airtime to his divisive and hateful views. He doesn’t speak for me and I am certain he doesn’t speak for God.

#562 kimasa

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:51 PM

Ugh. Customer quote of the day, "What Israel lacks is wisdom. I agree with him, but I know not to say it, because I am wise".

Okay, but you did just say it.

#563 ipsee

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:30 PM

I can't believe that this church of about 20 nutbags really think they have a direct line to god.

I still can't believe IF gave up 4million to go to his Dad's church and spout this nonsense.

#564 Anonforthistime

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:15 AM

View Postipsee, on 18 November 2019 - 09:30 PM, said:

I can't believe that this church of about 20 nutbags really think they have a direct line to god.

I still can't believe IF gave up 4million to go to his Dad's church and spout this nonsense.

For an extremely tiny group they sure are making a lot of unwanted noise.

#565 gruidae

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:35 AM

View PostFreddie, on 18 November 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

Seayork - he knows because his father told him.  His father is the force behind IF - he is the one who founded their church based on Old Testament beliefs and his father is the one who encouraged him with all of his public statements.

I too wish that the media wouldn't give him any coverage.  IF and his horrible, hate filled family are just oxygen thieves.

They seem to going for the title of Australia's equivalent to the Westboro Baptist Church

#566 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:46 AM

View PostAnonforthistime, on 19 November 2019 - 05:15 AM, said:

For an extremely tiny group they sure are making a lot of unwanted noise.
which the dumb Australian media seem to indulge.  

We wouldn't think they are making any noise if they didn't get any media attention. It would just stay with their 17 followers and that would be it.

DD1 asked me about him last night. I was irritated that I had to explain why a footballer thinks he is qualified to tell people how they should live.

#567 JustSanta100

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:52 AM

I feel like the media shouldn't feed the trolls...

#568 GlitteryElfFarts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:22 AM

We were talking about this last night and DD20 said “Even Alan Jones told him to button up, and when Alan Jones says button up. You know you are saying something bad.”

#569 Norma-Bean Baker

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:59 AM

When my brother came out as gay, my Nanna stopped going to church.  She said she didn't want to be part of something that told her her grandson didn't deserve happiness.  If only all religious people could see it this way.

#570 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:07 AM

View PostNorma-Bean Baker, on 19 November 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

When my brother came out as gay, my Nanna stopped going to church.  She said she didn't want to be part of something that told her her grandson didn't deserve happiness.  If only all religious people could see it this way.
That's impressive!

#571 Riotproof

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:10 AM

View PostNorma-Bean Baker, on 19 November 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

That’s beautiful. Reminds me of that scene in Please like me

#572 purplekitty

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:50 AM

Folau wants $14 Million now because he could have been made Captain.

Matt 19:24 isn't in his bible.
Not in Scott Morrison's either.

#573 ipsee

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:03 PM

This is so stupid  - if he wanted to be Captain he just had to lay off the tweets.

#574 got my tinsel on

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:25 PM

He could have been captain, hey?

Yeah, because RA would make a barely articulate supposed adult (who is completely under the control of his father) the job of captaining and directing the national team.

Was never gonna happen.

Edited by gettin my fance on, 27 November 2019 - 10:25 PM.

#575 BahumChchgirlbug

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:01 PM

Yeah nah Israel, wasn't happening 😂😂

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.