motor skills at 4 months/ rolling over?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PandoBox

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:23 PM

My LO has turned 4 months old and has great fine motor skills. She can hold a bottle and feed herself, grabs toys with confidence and brings them to her mouth. Her grip is excellent.

She has always hated tummy time but I've been trying to make her do it daily.

At 3 months she was rolling from stomach to back while on tummy but between 3 and 4 months she has grown a lot and now it seems she's too heavy for herself... she's doubled her birth weight now and fits into 6 month clothes and is in the 90% for height and weight. All she does now on tummy time is lay on her tummy with good neck support but she's no longer rolling or moving her arms and reaching for toys much unless I use a support pillow. The only thing I can think of is that the surface she has done it on has been too firm because the last time she rolled over she had a slightly firmer landing and cried and since then has only rolled over on the bed.

Im wondering if I should be trying to teach her to roll over? Do most babies roll at 4 months?

She will also only roll to her side on the bed...on the playmat she turns her head only and reaches for her toy as oppose to turning with the full body.

#2 Future-self

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

View PostPandoBox, on 14 March 2018 - 07:23 PM, said:

Im wondering if I should be trying to teach her to roll over? Do most babies roll at 4 months?

No. And No :)
It's a milestone that is expected between 5 and 7 months so no, 4 month olds don't and aren't expected to do it. I'm not sure how you planned on teaching her but really, you should just leave her alone.

Sure, you observe and look for signs of stiffness, favouring one side over a long period of time, inability to use an arm etc but really, her development is just that, hers.  Do you have a child health nurse appointment tor a GP appointment coming up? Just get them to clarify timings for you so you can relax and bit.
ETA Here's the QLD heath checklist for a 6 month old that may help :)

Edited by Future-self, 14 March 2018 - 07:54 PM.

#3 Lou-bags

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:46 PM

My DS1 was rolling by 4mo but DS2 didn’t roll at all, not even onto his side, until nearly 6 months or so. They have their own timeline. There is zero need to teach anything (rolling, sitting, walking- none of it).

FWIW both my babies hated tummy time on the floor so we just never did it. They soon got used to being on their tummy on the floor once they could get into that position themselves. Both met milestones on time or a little early (particularly DS1 who was huge for his age) despite no interventions from me.

Provide her as much free floor time as she can handle and leave her to it!

#4 MissMilla

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:55 AM

4months is quite early to roll but in the normal range. Lots of babies do it at that age and lots of them dont. Dont think you can teach them much at this age, they all develop at their own speed. You definitely dont have to worry in the next couple months and even then, some babies just dont do it. DS rolled over all the time at 3-4months and then just stopped when he started sitting/crawling at 5months. He was quite early with everything. DD started commando crawling at 4 months and i dont remember her ever rolling. Well maybe a couple times but it was more an accident when she tried to get somewhere.

Sometimes its even bad to teach them. Like with sitting I was told that if they arent strong enough to get into a sitting position by themselves and you place them on the ground sitting, then it can be bad for them because they dont have the muscles to support themselves in that position. I think its bad for their back?
Not sure. But my health nurse always told me not to push for these milestones and let them get there at their own pace.

Edited by MissMilla, 15 March 2018 - 02:59 AM.

#5 Anon100

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:02 AM

The important thing is to provide the correct learning environment and then trust your child's competence to do it.

This applies from baby to toddler to preschooler to....

Our children don't need us to teach these sort of basic skills, as Miss Milla said it can be harmful since you are moving too quickly on something that has it's own natural rhythm.

Instead provide an interesting play space on the floor. position yourself lying there too in your tummy so your baby has to move to look at you. Put a toy just out of reach.

Then leave your baby to discover the world in her own way

#6 Mae55

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:19 AM

Sometimes they roll at three months because their heads are so heavy it just tips them over, once their body gets a bit heavier it takes more effort. Sometimes babies also forget how to do a skill like that and remember later on.

However, if you’re worried that her strength overall has decreased - eg having more difficulty lifting head, using arms on stomach etc then it’s always a good idea to mention those concerns to your health professional so they can monitor her or reassure you. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.