Do you get bored on holidays?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 paula1

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:22 AM

I’m trying to work out a destination for myself and my kids to travel to in a few months.
While researching on here and on trip advisor I noticed some people saying that they were bored in some places.
I’m wondering what makes your holiday boring?
I’m so in need of a holiday and haven’t been on a holiday so I can’t imagine being bored!
It seems that resorts and places like Fiji come up regularly for being boring.

#2 Ianthe

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:27 AM

If I have a book and can swim I won't be bored.

#3 ~J_F~

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:33 AM

I have seen people on here say they need to have a holiday fully packed with activities or they get bored. Personally I don’t get it but we love to just chill and take it all in when on holiday.

#4 Bono25

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:38 AM

I get bored. Especially at the beach as I can't stand sand, and I spend my time chasing after a 1 year old obsessed with waves. I get cranky and just want to go home. Dp fishes, so I end up as kid wrangler and I hate it

#5 ~LM~

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:41 AM

I hate a jam packed holiday. Every time we go away it’s a battle between DH wanting to “do something” and me wanting to “do nothing”.

No idea how people can be bored on holiday.

I suspect it’s the people like my DH who can’t wind down that get bored. Or maybe it’s our constant-stimulation society where sitting and doing nothing just doesn’t happen anymore.

Give me a cocktail, a hammock and a book and I’ll be happy for hours. I can just stare at a beach and the waves for hours too.

Edited by ~LM~, 14 March 2018 - 12:20 PM.

#6 seayork2002

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:15 PM

DH and I went to a Greek island for a week (many many years ago) we tried to lie on a beach but only lasted a few hours before we were twiddling our thumbs.

Now I can be one of the laziest people on the planet - I do not ski, bungee jump, hike etc. (although I do like a meandering bushwalk, circular as I don't want the same view twice) but we like places where you can pick and choose what you do so we like museums, galleries, parks maybe a little antique/novelty shopping not another Westfield type shopping and then rest in the afternoon.

So we mainly do city breaks or beach holidays where there is other stuff to do also.

I love reading but could not read all day only but I would love a free afternoon! (even if I have weekends at home I get a little bored if we don't leave the house for the day)

So for example if we go to the south coast NSW or a few days we will have a whole day or two at the beach then a day or so in Berry or to look around there and maybe one other place. as we have a child, otherwise for us personally it would only be a couple of hours on beach.

Oh on the beach DH takes DS into the waves and does whatever it is they do (jumping on each others heads or whatever they call it) I sit in the shade with a book but then go get lunch as I can't sit there all day it would drive me mad!

Edited by seayork2002, 14 March 2018 - 12:17 PM.

#7 paula1

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

What about resorts?

#8 ~J_F~

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

View Postpaula1, on 14 March 2018 - 12:18 PM, said:

What about resorts?

As long as they have a swim up bar, I am good!!

#9 Charlies Angel

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:24 PM

No. Never. Can't even fathom getting bored on a holiday.

#10 paula1

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:27 PM

View PostCharlies Angel, on 14 March 2018 - 12:24 PM, said:

No. Never. Can't even fathom getting bored on a holiday.

Me either!
That’s why I had to ask!
As long as there’s some restaurants, cafes, pools and some type of activities or visits to places nearby I’m in heaven!

#11 Hini

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:28 PM

I don’t get bored. A book, a pool and some good restaurants and I’m good.

I do like some outings when we go on resort style holidays.

I did find Fiji a bit boring compared to, say, Bali, Thailand, Malaysia.

#12 Zesty

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:41 PM

I have never been bored on a holiday, but I can understand if you end up somewhere that didn't suit your lifestyle or meet with your preferred downtime activities, why you would.

I have definitely been on holidays where I wouldn't want to go back to a place, not because they are awful, more that I felt I had seen or done enough not to bother going back there again.

#13 Ice Queen

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

Absolutely I get bored especially with kids.  Holidays for me are about discovering and exploring.  
Swimming pools send me batsh*t crazy with boredom.  Eating at the same restaurant everyday sends me batsh*t crazy with boredom.

View Postpaula1, on 14 March 2018 - 12:18 PM, said:

What about resorts?

I last 3 days at a resort and I’m nearly spare with boredom.  I don’t mind the beach as much but I need to be walking, snorkelling, kayaking or in a boat for some of it.

Fiji was probably the most bored I’ve ever been on holidays but them I’m that person who finds a 10km bushwalk a great way to relax :laugh:.

Edited by Ice Queen, 14 March 2018 - 12:45 PM.

#14 Zesty

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

View PostBono25, on 14 March 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

I get bored. Especially at the beach as I can't stand sand, and I spend my time chasing after a 1 year old obsessed with waves. I get cranky and just want to go home. Dp fishes, so I end up as kid wrangler and I hate it

Yeah, that's not a family holiday. That's a holiday for your DP and 1yo.

#15 lozoodle

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

I generally don't get bored, but recently spent 9 nights in fiji at one resort and a week or 5 days there would have been enough. I loved it though, and could have totally backed it up with another 5 days in another resort, it was just a bit long in the one place with the same food every day and so on. Next time I'll divide my time in a few different resorts.

Other than that - laying around reading and swimming is perfection.

#16 gcmum11

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:06 PM

We find our day to day lives at home fairly mundane so we plan quite active holidays. We’ve found our perfect holidays are 7 days of exploring different locations and then a couple of nights at the very end in a resort style place to recover before the drive or flight home. The idea of laying by the pool with a cocktail and a book sounds ok in theory but generally the kids either need supervising or are interrupting/talking to me non stop... and yes, I’d probably be bored after a couple of days.

#17 2bundles

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

I never get bored on holiday, BUT we went to the Marriott in Fiji last year and there was basically nothing to do except swim or eat.

A couple of token water sports filled in a couple of hours.

I like to explore but there was nowhere to go. 50min drive from almost anywhere meant even day activities were a chore.

We have been to Denarau before and enjoyed resort hopping and catching the bula bus etc.

#18 Ice Queen

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

View Postgcmum11, on 14 March 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

The idea of laying by the pool with a cocktail and a book sounds ok in theory but generally the kids either need supervising or are interrupting/talking to me non stop...

Yes!  This is exactly it.  
Also resorts tend to have.....well....children.  And lots of them.  So while, I like my own, others give me the irrits and the constant noise and splashing drives me bonkers.  
I generally drink too much as I don’t know what else to do :ninja:.

#19 71Cath

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:23 PM

Anyone getting bored on holidays needs to give me their holidays.  I will not get bored I promise.

#20 somila

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:35 PM

As long as I can read and sleep it's all good.

#21 Serinitynow

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:40 PM

I love holidays. I do think you can have too much of a good thing though. I work long hours and don’t get to chill much. I have been to Fiji twice in the last two years. Once to Mana Island and once to Plantation Island. For me, it’s being on the islands with the stunning beaches and great snorkeling that makes it. I need to balance lozing around with little walks, lots of swimming and snorkeling though. Couldn’t do more than 5 nights at one resort though. Would get a bit same same.

#22 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:41 PM

I don't get bored - I can sit and stare at the ocean, resort pool, mountain view for hours. Kids get bored - depending what we're doing. I'd like nothing more than to sit in a cafe on the Isle de la Cite and people watch. My kids would go spare in like 5 minutes. They get bored with art galleries too :(. So skiiing, resort pools, beaches, boating, mountains, amusement parks is my lot in life for the foreseeable future - it's not so bad.

#23 steppy

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:51 PM

I can get bored on holidays but in a nice way.

Unless I have kids with me. Then I can get bored in a really bad way.

#24 ~J_F~

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:57 PM

It’s intersting what the PP says about being bored in a good or bad way.

Being good bored is a good thing, it allows you to slow down and just be with yourself and your own thoughts.

I think might be part of the problem, some people don’t like boredom because they can’t cope with the thoughts and feelings it brings.

Being bad bored because you have to do stupid crap kids or other want to do, not so good, lol.

#25 seayork2002

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:04 PM

View Post~J_F~, on 14 March 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

It’s intersting what the PP says about being bored in a good or bad way.

Being good bored is a good thing, it allows you to slow down and just be with yourself and your own thoughts.

I think might be part of the problem, some people don’t like boredom because they can’t cope with the thoughts and feelings it brings.

Being bad bored because you have to do stupid crap kids or other want to do, not so good, lol.

I go on holidays to see the places i am holidaying at though, we have perfectly good beaches here in Sydney (I am from Sydney so that is why I mentioned them) I don't have to fly anywhere if all I want to do it sit on a beach all day.

I am not paying thousands to go on a holiday to not do anything that IMO defeats the purpose of the holiday

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.