Baby bouncer or other options feedback

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Lady_Bacon

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:45 AM

I have a 5 week old who sleeps ok at night (waking every 2-4 hours) and in his bassinet. In the day he sleeps but on me and whilst I have tried to put him in the bassinet he doesn’t like it. What this means is I currently have the baby attached all day whilst my husband is at work which is exhausting. I know newborns want to be close and that’s Fine but I am hoping there is something which allows me some sort of breather for both my sanity and also letting me get stuff done. Currently he doesn’t like me putting him down for anything so I ended up trying to do everything 1 handed or with a screaming baby when I put him down so I can go to the loo.
I was wondering if the vibrating bassinets work? If this might be an option so I can get a break and go to the loo? My MIL comes over 1-2 a week but the other days are pretty draining especially on max of 4 hours sleep
Any advice of what you did at this age and if anyone had any successs with a vibrating bouncer or similar

#2 Fi Fy Fo Fum

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:55 AM

The vibrating bouncer saved when with my 2nd child.  He just hated lying down so any where he was upright he was ok.
So I'd say yes!
Other option is baby wearing wrap of some kind so baby is close but you have hands free.

#3 José

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:22 AM

its sounds like some type of baby wrap would be worth a try.
i really dislike the vibrating bouncers.
DS loved his nuna leaf. but it was $$$

#4 Lady_Bacon

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:46 AM

Thanks for the replies we have the ergo baby carrier which he hates and also the hug a bub which I felt wasn’t secure but I am willing to persevere
I would like to put him down completely through to give my body a bit of a rest and also go to the loo so hopefully a chair works for a short time is what I am hoping!

#5 Mooples

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:15 AM

Ds1 loved the swing, he would happily spend hours a day swinging away. He would also happily sit in the rocker. Ds2 is a bit refluxy and doesn’t like being on his back so isn’t as big a fan of the swing, he will tolerate the rocker for short periods of time. It’s hard to know what babies will like before you can try things. Swings, bouncers and rockers can be an expensive waste of money if they don’t like them. Do you have any friends that would be willing to let you try them out before you buy. I’d be annoyed if I spent $200 on the swing for ds2, luckily it was worth every dollar for ds1.

#6 a letter to Elise.

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:00 AM

I find the ergo is better for bigger babies. I'd persevere with the hug a Bub if you can, or try a ring sling. I liked the ring sling as it was easier to ease them out of it into the bassinet or someone else's lap while asleep. Have a look on YouTube. The hugabub is quite secure, but it takes a while to get the hang of it

#7 Gerbera2015

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:11 AM

I got a second hand vibrating music playing bouncer for $20, I’d start with something like that.

Have you got a mobile above a cot? I used to put him in it and put the fan on and I would blow the mobile around

#8 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:41 AM

DD was just like you describe your baby, we had some success with the swing (but maybe later than 5wo). She hated all wraps and carriers. DS loved the hugabub and then the ergo (but he’s a huge baby).

With both I also try for other naps not on me, but in the pram and car. While I don’t get stuff done, the exercise is good or we get out and do stuff. DS will nap in his cot, but only for 30 mins.

#9 AdelTwins

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:41 AM

I was going to suggest looking on gumtree. That's where my bouncer and swing are going when DS3 gets too big.

DS1 loved the swing
DS2&3 loved the bouncer

Bouncer is better value and easier to move around the house.

#10 Helga Hufflepuff

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:51 AM

View Posta letter to Elise., on 13 March 2018 - 08:00 AM, said:

I find the ergo is better for bigger babies. I'd persevere with the hug a Bub if you can, or try a ring sling. I liked the ring sling as it was easier to ease them out of it into the bassinet or someone else's lap while asleep. Have a look on YouTube. The hugabub is quite secure, but it takes a while to get the hang of it

This! My ring sling saved my sanity with my 2 koala babies who never wanted to be put down. Is there a baby wearing group near you? They often have lots of different carriers you can try to help you work out the best option for you and your baby.

#11 Caribou

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:53 AM

View PostLady_Bacon, on 13 March 2018 - 06:46 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies we have the ergo baby carrier which he hates and also the hug a bub which I felt wasn’t secure but I am willing to persevere
I would like to put him down completely through to give my body a bit of a rest and also go to the loo so hopefully a chair works for a short time is what I am hoping!

DS hated the ergo until we removed the newborn insert. The day that went, he stopped crying.

I remember not putting DS down for the first four months. I did however put him into the pram to sleep from time to time, he seemed happier to sleep there and follow me around the house, it was like he wanted to be close where he could hear me.

I found bouncers pointless and pram was more of a go to to put baby in. One less item to take up space in the house.

Alternatively if you really want a bouncer, IKEA has some nice looking cheap ones going.

#12 Akadia

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:59 AM

My son used a swing (one that can go side to side or forward to back) from a newborn to nearly 6 months old.

He absolutely loved it.

I was advised to get one that plugged in the wall as it has a better motor and can still swing well as the baby gets heavier.

#13 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:02 AM

View PostCaribou, on 13 March 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

DS hated the ergo until we removed the newborn insert. The day that went, he stopped crying.

I remember not putting DS down for the first four months. I did however put him into the pram to sleep from time to time, he seemed happier to sleep there and follow me around the house, it was like he wanted to be close where he could hear me.

I found bouncers pointless and pram was more of a go to to put baby in. One less item to take up space in the house.

Alternatively if you really want a bouncer, IKEA has some nice looking cheap ones going.

Ha DS hated it when I took the newborn insert! I had to take out the cushion and keep the wrap bit in.

DS also quite liked the pram while I had a shower - the noise of the water and fan often put him to sleep. Doesn’t work anymore though, it was a nice few weeks while it lasted.

#14 Lou-bags

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:06 AM

We had a swing and a bouncer.

The bouncer was great as a place to put my mildly refluxy DS2 down while I had a shower etc etc or after a feed until that had settled. DS1 was also able to be bounced to sleep in it when I was touched out (he was a lot like your DS OP). Neither of them liked the vibrate function.

We also had a swing which both boys liked. DS1 needed the movement but DS2 needed it to be still.

There is always a tonne of these kinds of items in great condition on Gumtree. I’d look there.

#15 Lady_Bacon

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:24 AM

View PostGerbera2015, on 13 March 2018 - 08:11 AM, said:

I got a second hand vibrating music playing bouncer for $20, I’d start with something like that.

Have you got a mobile above a cot? I used to put him in it and put the fan on and I would blow the mobile around
Yes we do have the mobile above the cot ( however he sleeps in a bassinet right now) I might need to try putting him in the cot however this is upstairs and I wanted him in the room with me due to sids risks

#16 Lady_Bacon

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:31 AM

Thanks everyone I might try and see if I can score a cheap bouncer on gumtree (I have definitely learnt the hard way not to spend $$$$ as he might not like it and it’s a a waste)

He does like the pram we live in a 3 storey house so will need to work out how I navigate that as currently his pram lives in the office downstairs I might need to carry it upstairs instead (wishing we lived in an apartment with a lift again now)

I have joined a local baby wearing group so I might need to try other options. My husband was not impressed he spent so much on the ergo 360 Omni and LO hates it 😂 so nah need to also try and persevere with that one too. It’s hard when they scream when you put them in it

Today was a perfect example of needing something he screamed blue murder when I put him in his bassinet for 5 mins to go to the loo and then again when he was on the bed whilst I got dressed both of which I cannot hold him and do at the same time - how does everyone else cope with this. I hate having him cry but I simply cannot do both at once 😳

#17 Jenflea

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:38 AM

Crying won't hurt them as much as it hurts you to hear it.

I bought a really pricey swing, DD hated it. Borrowed a vibrating bouncer, she LOVED it.  She'd sit in it in the bathroom while I had a shower, she'd sit in it while I hung out washing outside.

But for the first 6 to 8 weeks, I got basically nothing done except dinners cooked. She loved her Hug a Bub so i'd wear that around the house, but couldn't cook with it and her on.

I fed to sleep and had to make sure DD was deeply asleep before she'd go in her bassinet. I also spent hours rocking the bassinet back and forth to get her to sleep.

It's sh*t, but it does pass.

#18 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:42 AM

DD hated the ergo we bought, but we did get some use when she was older using back carry through airports and things. And now DS loves it! I think I need to get a 360 though, he only likes it to sleep in, when awake he wants to be looking at the world. So you might get more use later, or you could sell it soon while it’s still the current model and buy something that works.

The crying while getting dressed etc - DS is my second so I’m much more relaxed about letting him cry for a bit. I found that much more difficult with my first, I often held her while on the loo!

DS is now 14wo (maybe?) and some things are getting easier and some are getting harder. Babies hey?!

#19 ~LM~

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:08 PM

M kids never slept in a bouncer or swing. In fact they got over stimulated by them and ended up over tired and impossible to settle.

How are you putting him now for naps? Are you replicating night time? Is the room really dark? Are the sounds the same?

Or maybe he likes the white noise of having you near, gave you tried moving the bassinet into the room you are in?

#20 AdelTwins

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:52 PM

Just wanted to add...
There is NOTHING wrong with achieving NOTHING ALL DAY! You have a 5 week old, not a 5 month old. I have a 7 month old and some days are a complete write off.

Get yourself a Netflix subscription, grab an iPad and cuddle that baby! ;) Try and have a shower before your partner leaves. Let the baby cry when you go to the loo. He'll be fine.

#21 Lady_Bacon

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:15 PM

View PostJenflea, on 13 March 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

Crying won't hurt them as much as it hurts you to hear it.

I bought a really pricey swing, DD hated it. Borrowed a vibrating bouncer, she LOVED it.  She'd sit in it in the bathroom while I had a shower, she'd sit in it while I hung out washing outside.

But for the first 6 to 8 weeks, I got basically nothing done except dinners cooked. She loved her Hug a Bub so i'd wear that around the house, but couldn't cook with it and her on.

I fed to sleep and had to make sure DD was deeply asleep before she'd go in her bassinet. I also spent hours rocking the bassinet back and forth to get her to sleep.

It's sh*t, but it does pass.
That sounds like my life minus the cooking dinner as I can’t do that one handed luckily my MIL has been cooking stuff and hubby has been doing the rest whilst I have the baby permanently attached 😂

#22 Just Jack

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:19 PM

We get good use out of both a vibrating bouncer and a swing. Both bought secondhand for a fraction of the cost. Bub can be quite happy in borh for quite a while. Good luck!

#23 QuirkyMum

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

I'll second on getting a swing ( side to side + forward to back) that you can plug in( not battery operated). They are pricey but for instance last year's model of ingenuity are cheaper. Also gumtree has heaps!
They take up space but for us it was worth it.
At 5 weeks I couldn't put down my DS2 for a moment. Used hug a bub at home and ergo when out.
Around 5 weeks my husband returned to work so I had to do something! I persevered with my attempts to put baby into his swing ( side to side, as front to back brings up reflux) and vibrations ( some times at the same time) many times a day, especially after sleeps when he was happier. At first entertaining him non stop, cooing with him,making him laugh, create positive association with the swing. Within a couple of weeks he started to love it there and now at 3 months can stay there for up to 40 mins! He only napped there maybe 5 times but it is worth it.
I would also use your pram. Mine hated it there, but I'd insist ( and entertain him there, offer dummy, sing, shake the pram) and now he tolerates it fine and sleeps there when I take him for a walk.
Also have you tried wraps? I think I bought one each of what baby bunting has to offer. I liked some but ergo pouch? Cocoon? ( The one that is a sleeping bag but has buttons in arm openings and you zip up with arms inside - "no origami wrap") this one hugged my baby tight enough for him to sleep ( fall asleep in my arms then move him into bassinet and now into his cot).

#24 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:50 PM

Just want to throw out there, DS1 was like this at that age. Turned out he had reflux - he just wanted to be 'upright', not actually with me. He was screaming about lying flat, not about being 'put down'.

Normally it crops up at more like 6-8 weeks if its going to be a problem.

We had a bouncer thing with all the bells and whistles but he didn't like them so should have spent WAY less. Just liked the angled sitting position. He loved that, I could have a shower and everything with him in that on the floor.

next 2 kids hated it (no reflux!)

#25 purpleblaze

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:16 PM

Where are you located? I have a bouncer that worked great that I no longer need. I'm in Melb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.