What is the true story with Trinity Grammar and the hair cut dramas.

• Please log in to reply
398 replies to this topic

#1 Literary Lemur

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:36 PM

https://www.theage.c...312-p4z3x9.html

From what I understood the Deputy Principal cut a boys hair just before school photos.  He was then sacked and the school community are unhappy with he sacking.  I'm not clear what the views of the boy in question are.

Has there been a recent change of culture with a  division between the Principal and Deputy Principal?  What is really going on?

#2 seayork2002

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:38 PM

I am not sure but I doubt a person can be sacked on this one event alone?

I would not be happy if this happened to my son but no way would I call for them to be sacked if 99.9% of the time there is no issues.

#3 steppy

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:39 PM

Yeah it sounds like he's old school and a guardian of the school's culture and the principal finds him a threat to whatever mark they want to make on the school.

#4 ~J_F~

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:42 PM

He cut a kids hair...

I doubt it was the first time ha has behaved inappropriately, more likely it is the straw that broke the camels back scenario.

#5 Literary Lemur

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:45 PM

And yet he seems to have very clear support from the school community rather than relief he is gone?  I understand the parents want him reinstated?

Edited by Literary Lemur, 12 March 2018 - 04:46 PM.

#6 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:46 PM

Apparently the child and the parents were fine with it. I would second the above comment that it is a convenient excuse to replace him with a new broom.

#7 sammyv

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:03 PM

I have some friends with pupils at TGS - this might clear up a few questions.

https://www.facebook...huw&pnref=story

#8 AmazonBabe

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:10 PM

They've got rid of him because the new Principal has often stated he wants to change the culture of the school, and has apparently been active in trying to ease out teachers who aren't of his liking.

Staff turnover in the last four years has been insane.

TGS used to be inclusive of everyone - not now.  They've changed to a really academic focus and this is why they're getting rid of the "old guard".

Read @Sammyv's link which sets it out really well.

The community is up in arms.  There's another community meeting tonight.  A number of my friends are going.

#9 opethmum

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:26 PM

I think that is is yet another Principal who is brought into clean house by vexatious board member or two and does not understand the school culture and has no idea of what the general school culture was intended or does not give a hoot.

He probably did not like how the deputy was regarded and was envious of his immaculate reputation and was looking for any trigger to get rid of him and replace him with a far more biddable deputy who would not question him and let him get away with taking away the school culture.

If I was that student alumni, old boys network, I would be pulling all donations and legacy gifts until he was reinstated. If the boy and his family are fine with what occurred then it is fine and no harm done.

Students, Staff and Parents know the expectations of the school when enrolling and accepting employment, it seems that the Principal did not get the school culture or faked that he understood it and he should go to be honest. It sounds like a massive breach of the Principal's authority and if I was the deputy I would be considering breach of contract and possibly filing a discrimination suit I believe it was age related too.

#10 ali-song

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:29 PM

Fascinating! I’m amazed by the power the alumni appear to have - I guess the flip side of being so reliant on donations/bequests from old boys.

#11 Literary Lemur

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:41 PM

So a battle between old and new guard?  

From what I’ve read it seems the boy in question was bullied after the incident (held responsible for the sacking I assume?) One mother described it as “typical school taunts”. Is that part of the old guard way of doing things?

Sounds like a really toxic Environment if the principal and deputy are working against each other and the parents not supporting the school leadership. Why was the deputy not just made principal (rather than just bringing in new blood).

View Postali-song, on 12 March 2018 - 04:29 PM, said:

Fascinating! I’m amazed by the power the alumni appear to have - I guess the flip side of being so reliant on donations/bequests from old boys.

Me too.  I don’t come from that world and find it fascinating.

#12 qak

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:46 PM

WTF - it was the day before school photos, the kid could have been sent home or to the barber?

I get the kid & parents were fine with the cut, but it seems like a really strange thing for  deputy/principal/teacher to do under any circumstance.

As to the politics of it all ... probably not really so unusual, but interesting how public this has become.

#13 MrsLexiK

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:54 PM

View PostLiterary Lemur, on 12 March 2018 - 04:41 PM, said:

So a battle between old and new guard?  

From what I’ve read it seems the boy in question was bullied after the incident (held responsible for the sacking I assume?) One mother described it as “typical school taunts”. Is that part of the old guard way of doing things?

Sounds like a really toxic Environment if the principal and deputy are working against each other and the parents not supporting the school leadership. Why was the deputy not just made principal (rather than just bringing in new blood).

Me too.  I don’t come from that world and find it fascinating.
I haven’t paid much attention to this issue I know my brother school growing up if your hair didn’t meet standard you had it cut there (same as make up was removed from us girls) or were sent home if it was too short (ie a number 1 was unacceptable - I do remember exemption being made for “shave your head” time and of course any medical conditions - that I don’t think occurred in the boys in my Yr level).

At the beginning of my last Yr at school the principal “left” (was forced to leave due to some pretty serious issues), assistant principal was acting principal for the year and applied for head of the school. The principal they went with was far more business minded and that is what the board wanted - she’s been there 13 yrs now so must be working. She did however keep the same culture (I depend strong women) so I don’t believe had the same then over and it seemed it was still very multicultural with many disciplines being focused on (ie music, sport, accedemia etc).

#14 Literary Lemur

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:55 PM

View PostLiterary Lemur, on 12 March 2018 - 03:45 PM, said:

And yet he seems to have very clear support from the school community rather than relief he is gone?  I understand the parents want him reinstated?

This is from the age.

“The students also said they were "deeply troubled by the apparent lack of concern" shown by the school council for the welfare of the student involved.

"It would have been abundantly clear to the council that its favoured process - namely a blunt, public and undignified dismissal [of Mr Brown] - would have immediate and devastating consequences for this poor young man," the letter said.”

Devasting consequences?  So the school turned on the child?  Is there another way to understand this statement.

I understand (although I don’t agree) with the haircut rule.  But why not advise that anyone who does not adhere to school uniform rules (including haircut guidelines) will not be included in the photos?  But to cut their hair?  That’s a pretty huge step.

#15 Literary Lemur

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:58 PM

View Postqak, on 12 March 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

WTF - it was the day before school photos, the kid could have been sent home or to the barber?

I get the kid & parents were fine with the cut, but it seems like a really strange thing for  deputy/principal/teacher to do under any circumstance.

As to the politics of it all ... probably not really so unusual, but interesting how public this has become.

It seems there was an apology.  Who know how the child and parents feel.  It sounds like it would take a lot of bravery to speak up honestly especially if you disagreed with the school culture?

#16 lazycritter

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:08 PM

Why is this national news that's what I don't get.

#17 Ozymandias

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:13 PM

One of the articles in the age referred to the boy’s family sending a letter from their lawyers and threatening legal action after the haircut. Perhaps they should have thought twice about over reacting and sparking off this? What else could school council have done after legal threats?

#18 Literary Lemur

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:22 PM

View PostOzymandias, on 12 March 2018 - 05:13 PM, said:

One of the articles in the age referred to the boy’s family sending a letter from their lawyers and threatening legal action after the haircut. Perhaps they should have thought twice about over reacting and sparking off this? What else could school council have done after legal threats?

Surely cutting hair is over stepping the line though?  Perhaps the overreaction started with the haircut rather than the legal letter?

#19 Rowenas Necklace

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:23 PM

People respond pretty strongly to others taking away their child's bodily autonomy - I'm sure there have been threads here about grandparents sneaking in haircuts without parents' permission.

I don't think the teacher's actions were appropriate, as for the subsequent sacking and outcry, I honestly don't know what to make of it.

I'm not sure, though, that we can rely on "the old guard"/former students to be the best voice for what's right - given that from other threads it seems "old girls/boys" can be some of the worst for upholding harmful gender norms in uniforms etc.

#20 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:26 PM

If someone cuts your hair without your consent it's assault. Common law assault.

#21 Twelveyears

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

View Postfrizzle, on 12 March 2018 - 05:02 PM, said:

I was reading about the respect and wonderful men that the environment has created and they were merely upholding this tradition, and then you watch the video footage and they are acting like an unruly mob after their football team lost. Chanting and jumping up and down. It blows my mind how entitled they are all acting.

Entitled sums it all up I think.  As in the old boys feel entitled to have their way on this.

From an earlier article on the issue.  This is the 'culture' they are standing up for.  One where the infants of old boys are fawned over and the deputy principal hand delivers enrolment papers because expecting a parent to download and print forms themselves is 'Luke warm' and concerning.

"Tim Sharp, who sits on the Old Trinity Grammarians committee and is the organisation's former president, did not want to comment on the incident other than to say he had absolute respect for Mr Brown.
"He is the backbone of what we want the school to be," he said.
This week Mr Sharp excitedly phoned the school to inquire about enrolling his newborn son.
But he said he received a lukewarm response.
"There was no congratulations or thanks for considering Trinity," he said. "It was print out the forms and 'No we don't care if you are an Old Boy."
He raised concerns about this interaction with Mr Brown, who personally delivered the enrolment forms to his house at 7pm on Wednesday.
"That's the sort of guy that he is," he said."

And clearly not everyone thinks the new principal is a change for the worse.  They're just scared to actually say so:

"But a current student at the school, who did not want to be named, said it had improved under Dr Davies' leadership.
"He has hired some of the most fantastic teachers, the renovations that are planned are incredible and his door is always open," he said."

ETA:  I have friends who teach at a high fee private school.  They all say they would expect to be sacked if they cut a student's hair.  They teach girls, but I can't see that it makes a difference.

Edited by Twelveyears, 12 March 2018 - 05:33 PM.

#22 Lifesgood

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:34 PM

Its just like the battle at that exclusive girls school - Kincoppal?

Unbelievable the power struggles that go on.

#23 Nobodyelse

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:46 PM

I went to one of the girls schools in the same neighbourhood as Trinity. Probably know a bunch of these old boys. W@nkers then. W@nkers now.

#24 atthebeach

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:47 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 12 March 2018 - 05:26 PM, said:

If someone cuts your hair without your consent it's assault. Common law assault.

i'm curious about this.  if an 8 yo child has something sticky in their hair like blue-tac, and a teacher or teacher aide cuts it out, is this also not ok?

#25 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:52 PM

View Postatthebeach, on 12 March 2018 - 05:47 PM, said:

i'm curious about this.  if an 8 yo child has something sticky in their hair like blue-tac, and a teacher or teacher aide cuts it out, is this also not ok?

i would think they'd get the parents consent first - for a child that young. how old was the kid in the article?

Edited by Lucrezia Borgia, 12 March 2018 - 05:52 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.