Coupla Newbie Questions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BeeBows

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:04 AM

Hi all :)

I just have a few questions I'm after a general, ideally experience or statistic evidenced opinions. Facts, if there are any, and what you think, or lacking a real answer, what you think, why and your story please. TIA!!

I want to know the rough costs of egg/embryo storage per year.

Do *EGGS* or *EMBRYOS* keep, and thaw better for future use?

Roughly how many eggs is an average harvest, for a mid 30's woman doing a "normal" cycle?

Thanks for reading and any answers. I want to make educated decisions and guesstimate timeframes and when I need to start off finding the right clinic for me. :)

#2 redchick

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

Our clinic charges around $200 for 6 months embryo storage (this is not per embryo - we have a few).

I don’t think there is an average harvest for a woman in her mid thirties as there are so many variables including the cause of your infertility and the way your body reacts to the hormones. Quality not quantity is also important.

All the best with whatever you decide. There is a lot of information to take in so it is great you are researching.

#3 Dani_R

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

I'm pretty sure you can find the report online for all the statistics to do with assisted conception - I think I found a link via the Melbourne IVF website.  I think there are regulations where they have to keep stats of all outcomes, and they are divided by age, fresh v frozen transfer etc (but not by individual clinics).

Our embryo storage was $200 per six months but it's just gone up to $250 per six months.  As with redchick, it's an overall fee rather than per embryo (we have 3 in storage at the moment).

Again, as redchick said, I think it's hard to say what's average for an egg harvest as there are so many variables.  As an example, I've done 3 cycles between ages 33-35.  First cycle got 5 eggs of which 2 embryos survived.  Second cycle I got about 7 eggs, of which only 1 survived.  Third cycle I got 9 eggs, but again only 2 survived.  Sounds like low numbers however I believe in quality over quantity too, as I have had 2 fresh transfers and both were successful pregnancies (2 year old DD and currently 25 weeks pregnant).  I also have no fertility issues we know of, our problem was male factor infertility.

I hope that helps.  I'll see if I can find that report for you.

#4 Dani_R

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:49 AM

I think this is it - reports attached at the bottom

https://npesu.unsw.e...database-anzard

#5 MissTR

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:00 AM

If you Google you'll find the stats on egg freezing and thawing. With our clinic it costs $31 per month for the freezing.

I'm not sure you can really count on an average per treatment, everyone is different. My cycle got 8 eggs, 7 fertilised, 5 made it to day 3, 3 made it to day 5 only 2 made it to blastocyst, 1 was put in and 1 was frozen. Successful with the 1 put in but miscarried at 6 weeks.

Edited by MissTR, 12 March 2018 - 11:01 AM.

#6 morning

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

I would add to the comments above that sometimes cycles can vary greatly.  I have done 7 cycles and have had anything from 11 eggs collected through to 25 eggs.  I have had Pgd testing done with zero normal embryos through to 3 normal ones per cycle.  The three came from a collection of 17 eggs and the cycle with 25 eggs priduced no normal embryos.  

The first few cycles involve a bit of guess work to see how your body will respond to different combinations of drugs etc.

#7 EMM1979

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

We pay $600 per year for embryo storage.  

I understand that embryos store and thaw better than eggs.   A friend was about to do chemo and was advised to store embryos rather than eggs if possible.  When you think about it it makes sense - not all eggs fertilise.

Number of eggs retrieved depends on any underlying conditions.   Eg PCOS can lead to greater risk of hyper stimulation (I got 19 eggs a couple of weeks after my 37th birthday) whereas a much younger woman with low ovarian reserve might only get 2 or 3.

I recommend getting your AMH (anti mullerian hormone) level tested.   This gives an indication of ovarian reserve and how you may respond to treatment.

#8 ckmelb

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:19 PM

hi beebows, just adding some personal experience around expected timeframes.

- Early July: went to see GP (pap, AMH test, BT to check for immunisations etc). She gave me a list of FS to consider
- 31 July: all my BT were back so went back to GP to discuss results (low iron, needed measles booster) and get referral for chosen FS
- 31 Aug was the first appointment I could get in to see the FS. Dr suggested laparoscopy / hysteroscopy given my previous history of ovarian cysts and bad period pain. I was booked in for surgery on 21st September.
- Admin: I am in Victoria so in the interim I needed to do all the regulatory checks before getting started - police check (can take 3 weeks), 2x mandatory counselling sessions and a couple of other appointments with the fertility clinic.
- End October: first proper cycle post lap so started first treatment

So basically 4 full months from the time I presented at my GP looking for a referral, and in my case there were no major delays anywhere or holidays I had booked

As EMM1979 mentioned above AMH is a good test to understand your ovarian reserve, but also having an AFC test with your FS on Cycle day 2 will give you your baseline follicle count which is an indicator of the potential of your own egg numbers in a given cycle

#9 BeeBows

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:11 PM

Wonderful!!

Thanks soo much guys. I really appreciate the replies.

Will look at that link.

Am in QLD, am only just 33yo, and reason for my current infertility, is that I had my tubes tied because accidental pregnancy scared the bejeezes out of me, and I wanted to avoid any possibility of that.

I HAVE done 2x cycles of IVF for donating eggs to a close aunt, however have not done it for myself, so just did what I was told with the daily shots and trigger needle, the BTs, little mini op to take out the eggs and ba-jing my bit was done.

It's just that NOW, looking into doing this for MYSELF, it's a much bigger deal now. As it is ME that wants a baby, and ME that may or may not become pregnant. So it's MY life that will be affected by all this in a huge way.

I'm half scared, half excited.

I've HAD a child before, so my body physically remembers how to do THAT bit.

Thanks again,

#10 redchick

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:02 PM

View PostBeeBows, on 13 March 2018 - 11:11 PM, said:

Wonderful!!

Thanks soo much guys. I really appreciate the replies.

Will look at that link.

Am in QLD, am only just 33yo, and reason for my current infertility, is that I had my tubes tied because accidental pregnancy scared the bejeezes out of me, and I wanted to avoid any possibility of that.

I HAVE done 2x cycles of IVF for donating eggs to a close aunt, however have not done it for myself, so just did what I was told with the daily shots and trigger needle, the BTs, little mini op to take out the eggs and ba-jing my bit was done.

It's just that NOW, looking into doing this for MYSELF, it's a much bigger deal now. As it is ME that wants a baby, and ME that may or may not become pregnant. So it's MY life that will be affected by all this in a huge way.

I'm half scared, half excited.

I've HAD a child before, so my body physically remembers how to do THAT bit.

Thanks again,

What an amazing thing you did for your aunt!

FWIW you’ve already gone through the most intensive (medically) part of the process before- the only thing you don’t have was embryo transfer (which takes about 5 mins) and the always awful 2WW. The fact that you have been through it before means that drs will already know how your body responds to the hormones.

All the best

RC

#11 gemgirl

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:37 AM

My clinic charges $250 a year for embryo storage. Embryos have a better success rate compared with frozen eggs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.