Europe Travel Thread....

• Please log in to reply
1084 replies to this topic

#51 born.a.girl

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:07 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 06 March 2018 - 02:57 PM, said:

I think you have 3 months on an Australian license to use it in

The conditions of both my Hertz hire in Wales, and my Europcar hire in Ireland, say that an Austrlian licence is sufficient.  Not sure I want to rely on their T&C if I get to their local office and they think differently though.

I'm also reluctant, though to spend $80 on international licences we don't actually need, given they only last 12 months, so no use for next year's trip.

#52 mayahlb

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:11 PM

View Postunicycle, on 06 March 2018 - 02:57 PM, said:

UK usually also wants two proof of address eg a utilitlites bill and a bank statement for car hire

I wouldn't even think of that so better take some copies with me. Of course most things do have our post box on it as we don't get street mail here, so might have to take a rates notice.

#53 born.a.girl

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:17 PM

View Postmayahlb, on 06 March 2018 - 03:11 PM, said:

I wouldn't even think of that so better take some copies with me. Of course most things do have our post box on it as we don't get street mail here, so might have to take a rates notice.

Wouldn't your licence suffice as one of them?

Must check this out.

Not something that pops into your head as you pack your suitcase - 'must take my rates notice with me'.

#54 born.a.girl

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:30 PM

View Posteachschoolholidays, on 06 March 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

I havent been to Ireland but I have been to Europe 4 times in the last 4 years. I haven't taken a printed copy for any of those trips.  Just pdfs in iBooks. Even these haven't been necessary.

Good to know, thanks.

It was just coincidental that half way through the trip we were looking up day trips, in order to work out car hire dates.  When the site made it blindingly clear you had to have hard copy, I wondered how widespread that was.

I'd really rather not be micromanaging our days before we even leave, so thanks for the feedback.

#55 SeaPrincess

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:29 PM

View Postspr_maiden, on 06 March 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

And there's a possibility three of us may be eligible for german passports. Do you think travelling on those  (if applicable) is easier than using aussie passports?
Will I even have time to apply?
The children and I are all British Citizens. DD's application for citizenship took months, and I couldn't apply for her passport at the same time. The passport took 2-3 weeks. Be very sure of your eligibility because I don't think they refund the application fee if it's not approved. The application process was different for each child even though their eligibility claim was the same.

#56 Let-it-go

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:49 PM

I will preface this by saying I haven’t hired a car in Europe for 3 years and maybe longer in the UK.   But all I’ve ever needed is my Australian license (mine doesn’t differentiate between manual or auto) and credit card.  They may ask for passport as well which I’ll always be carrying since we’re travelling.  I’ve certainly never had to produce a utilities bill.

#57 Let-it-go

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:54 PM

I will also say I’m quite literally, the world’s most casual and at times disorganised traveller.  I doubt I have printouts of anything let alone everything :laugh:.  I’ve never been turned away from a hotel, train, plane or automobile in 15years of extensive Europe and UK (incl. Ireland) travel.  We lived in the UK for 5 years so lots of weekends away.  

Having said that, I do have an uncanny ability to a*se stuff quite unbelievably - think wrong days booked in peak season, wrong towns for hotels as opposed to where my train is going yet I always lay my head on a bed at night without costing extra.

#58 SeaPrincess

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:34 PM

We didn’t need anything more than drivers licences and passports to rent cars. In the UK, if you can pick up and drop off outside of London, Arnold Clark was very reasonably priced.

#59 antiq

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:46 AM

We are going for 3 weeks in July - Europe and Singapore.  Really want to go to Russia but getting Visa can be challenging.  We ended buying 7 days MSC Northern European cruise which include Stockholm, Copenhagen, St. Petersburg and Tallinn.  For St. Peterburg if joining a shore excursion no visa required.  We figured for under $4000, family of 4 for food and transport visiting those cities are pretty good.

For car hire, we always use Australian license, auto-europe, economy car rental, nova car hire are some companies that offer descent prices, for this trip we booked via Expedia.  You can pick up and drop off different cities within same country without paying extra, however if going to any country in central/ eastern Europe need to tell the car company there is extra fees associated.  Traveling by car is so easy in Europe, when we went to Turkey, we saw tourists driven from Germany to Antalya.

Always take a copy of your passport however never leave them in the safe until last trip to Mexico.  I always print the copy of our bookings just in case but in recent years I noticed hotels don't ask anymore and never experience lost booking.

#60 Cimbom

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:24 AM

View PostApageintime, on 06 March 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

yes we are! We are also going to Paris, Estonia, Finland and Belgium around it.

How exciting! Have you been able to get tickets to any of the games? I'm going to try for the leftover tickets that get released next week but not liking my chances as there's about six games that suit our itinerary and most are popular teams. I won't find out about DH's program for a few days afterwards so will have to on-sell them (if I get any) if he doesn't get it. The good thing is you don't need to get a visa if you have game tickets and register online

#61 born.a.girl

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:42 AM

View PostIce Queen, on 06 March 2018 - 07:54 PM, said:

I will also say I’m quite literally, the world’s most casual and at times disorganised traveller.  I doubt I have printouts of anything let alone everything :laugh:.  I’ve never been turned away from a hotel, train, plane or automobile in 15years of extensive Europe and UK (incl. Ireland) travel.  We lived in the UK for 5 years so lots of weekends away.  

Having said that, I do have an uncanny ability to a*se stuff quite unbelievably - think wrong days booked in peak season, wrong towns for hotels as opposed to where my train is going yet I always lay my head on a bed at night without costing extra.

I have to confess to taking copies, but what triggered my query to people is that the only thing we have prebooked from here definitely needs the hard copy (booked so I could print it, and we are 100% sure of the day).

On tripadvisor many people complained that they hadn't had any way to print the ticket and were unable to go on the trip .  The company responded to each one saying it was very clear on their website that you need the printed booking.

I found it quite odd, and wondered how common it was.  I'm relieved to see not common at all!

#62 Cimbom

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:17 AM

I'm an old fashioned paper person even though most things would generally be saved in my email. The folder with my papers then becomes a bit of a souvenir as I keep all the paper trail from our trip in there like tickets, maps and other brochures etc that we get during our trip. I have them all stashed in a cupboard in our study. I'm probably a bit weird though :lol:

#63 Apageintime

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:30 AM

View PostCimbom, on 07 March 2018 - 07:24 AM, said:

How exciting! Have you been able to get tickets to any of the games? I'm going to try for the leftover tickets that get released next week but not liking my chances as there's about six games that suit our itinerary and most are popular teams. I won't find out about DH's program for a few days afterwards so will have to on-sell them (if I get any) if he doesn't get it. The good thing is you don't need to get a visa if you have game tickets and register online

yes, we have tickets to 9 games in Moscow and Saint Petersberg - we got them in the first round (before the teams were announced).

Yes, Visa is much easier with a ticket to a game, there is also free train travel between games with a world cup ticket. BUT we had to organise a visa for our 3 year old and it actually wasn't that difficult either.

We went to Brazil and from ticket sales there the latter stages were easier to get tickets in, the die hard fans get in early and the accomodation is very hard to come by for the casual fan. I think you should be ok!

#64 Guest_KayDan0707_*

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

We go to the UK every 18 months and hire a car every time.  The rental companies have only ever requested our passports and driver's licence.

We have just booked all the flights, and some of the accommodation (hotels & Air BNBs), for our six week holiday in December/January - Singapore, Rome, Paris, England, Wales, Ireland, New York, Washington DC, Las Vegas/Grand Canyon and Whistler.  We are beyond excited.  We visit family and friends in the UK regularly but this is first time that we'll be taking our boys (14 & 11) to the States and they are beside themselves.  We're celebrating 20 years married and my upcoming 50th!

#65 spr_maiden

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

x

Edited by spr_maiden, 07 March 2018 - 12:12 PM.

#66 purpleduck

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:22 AM

I have a couple of questions re: jetlag when arriving in London and also where in London to look at staying...

If we end up on that daily Qantas flight to Heathrow - think it arrives about 6/7am, plan is to stay awake all day (less an hour nap at most) then crash about 8pm. No idea if this will work but anyway :sleep:

Also we're likely to be in London for about 2-3 days before heading over to Paris. I know that some people say to stay in cheaper areas that are further out, and if we were there for a month, sure, but we're probably only going to be looking at the main sights etc within central London, so I'd rather not add commuting on top of that.

Any ideas for some ok areas of the city to stay in? Trying to find serviced apartments so probably have some kitchen facilities, but really, for such a short time, we'll probably do takeaway and just bludge in the evenings if we're tired. Only other thing I can think of is if it is on a train line that is convenient to both Heathrow and whichever station the Eurostar leaves from (if possible).

Thank you :)

#67 born.a.girl

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:46 AM

Eurostar leaves from St Pancras.

Not sure if you can catch suburban trains from there, I know we have to get to Euston to catch our train to Wales.

We were a bit worried about jetlag arriving in Rome at 6am but it was absolutely fine.  The adrenaline of arriving there kept us going until we could check in, then had a nap, then went out for the evening.  I'm sure doing it that way helped our body clocks adjust.  I've deliberately done the same with our upcoming trip - landing 6 - 7 am in both Abh Dhabi and Paris, so will get to see if it was a fluke or not.

#68 Cimbom

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:49 AM

View Postpurpleduck, on 07 March 2018 - 10:22 AM, said:

I have a couple of questions re: jetlag when arriving in London and also where in London to look at staying...

If we end up on that daily Qantas flight to Heathrow - think it arrives about 6/7am, plan is to stay awake all day (less an hour nap at most) then crash about 8pm. No idea if this will work but anyway :sleep:

Also we're likely to be in London for about 2-3 days before heading over to Paris. I know that some people say to stay in cheaper areas that are further out, and if we were there for a month, sure, but we're probably only going to be looking at the main sights etc within central London, so I'd rather not add commuting on top of that.

Any ideas for some ok areas of the city to stay in? Trying to find serviced apartments so probably have some kitchen facilities, but really, for such a short time, we'll probably do takeaway and just bludge in the evenings if we're tired. Only other thing I can think of is if it is on a train line that is convenient to both Heathrow and whichever station the Eurostar leaves from (if possible).

Thank you :)

Just be mindful that the commute is not what you're probably thinking - say an hour on the train or something like that. There are cheaper areas that are ~10-15 minutes away from the trendy expensive areas. We stayed in Bayswater for the first part of our stay (just because there was a nice and cheap hotel available for our dates) which I've read some say is not ideal. The travel time for us for most places was not more than about 15 minutes. Have a play around on Google Maps and you'll see what I mean. We stayed there for two lots of six nights but even if I was staying for three nights, I would still stay there because the travel time is marginal. Spend the rest of the money on theatre tickets or something else fun :p

#69 mayahlb

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:52 AM

I'm also hoping jet lag isn't too bad. Though I did deliberately choose a flight that gets in close to check in time. (1.15 pm arrival at heathrow). Because I know after 3 flights and 20 odd hours of travel I am going to be totally over it.

So I haven't talked to DH yet but meh... seeing as how he doesn't want to go to Rome I'm contemplating catching a train down to St Malo, which is where the French side of my family originate from. We even have some link to the Solidor Tower there, I think before it was a museum it might have belong to my family generations ago. Then catch the ferry to Portsmouth and a train to Bangor.

Something like
London 2 nights
Windsor (Lego land) 2 nights
Eurostar to Paris
Paris 4 nights
St Malo 2 nights - Ferry to Portsmouth
Maybe stop off somewhere in Portsmouth or London for a day so we don't spend the entire day travelling. Any recommendations are welcome

The Wales for 13 days - plan to hire a car and explore

Plan to be back in London on the 11th (wed) to fly out the next day. We get into Perth Friday evening then have to overnight in Perth before flying home the next day. School/work resumes on Monday...

#70 purpleduck

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:06 PM

I've gone and printed off Google maps for Paris, London and Sydney to the same scale... that might help me get my head around the distances :) Obviously keeping in mind that London and Paris apparently have MUCH better transport systems ;)

#71 seayork2002

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:09 PM

Oh I had the bright idea to stay in Kew Bridge in London as we got a cheap deal on a hotel - never mind that it in an outer zone and we spent a fortune in travel and an hour each way.

When we visited London last Christmas we stayed near Tower of London

#72 purpleduck

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 07 March 2018 - 01:09 PM, said:

Oh I had the bright idea to stay in Kew Bridge in London as we got a cheap deal on a hotel - never mind that it in an outer zone and we spent a fortune in travel and an hour each way.

When we visited London last Christmas we stayed near Tower of London

Zone?? Is this a travel/transport zone?

Can you tell I haven't done enough research on London yet? :ninja:

#73 born.a.girl

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:25 PM

View Postpurpleduck, on 07 March 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

I've gone and printed off Google maps for Paris, London and Sydney to the same scale... that might help me get my head around the distances :) Obviously keeping in mind that London and Paris apparently have MUCH better transport systems ;)

I can't speak for Paris - yet, but London's underground isn't just a 'better transport system', it's a completely different way of doing it.

Most of our train systems here are linear - lines running out from the city.  The London Underground is more like a spider's web, with lines intersecting everywhere.  Your trip might be a dog-leg.

Edited by born.a.girl, 07 March 2018 - 01:27 PM.

#74 seayork2002

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:25 PM

View Postpurpleduck, on 07 March 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

Zone?? Is this a travel/transport zone?

Can you tell I haven't done enough research on London yet? :ninja:

i think Kew is Zone 6 and 1-2 zone is central so IMO I would stay there mind you Kew Gardens is amazing

#75 littlemen

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:48 PM

We thought the Paris train system was great. Found it easy to navigate our way around. It was strange to see a train 'curve' around on the track. We tend to still build relatively straight train tracks in Oz, if that makes sense.

I did print out all the tickets/ confirmation etc that we had before we headed over. Whatever i purchased whilst travelling, I found that the places didn't have an issue checking the electronic ticket on the phone.

I was concerned with 1 particular train trip that she purchased whilst travelling as the website stipulated a printed ticket be shown. I then rang them and explained I do not have access to a printer and they said not a problem, show your phone. No issues luckily.

As mentioned above St Pancreas is the station to catch the Eurostar to Paris. We were a little disappointed by the Eurostar after taking the fast trains in Italy.

We arrived in Rome at 1pm and by 8pm the kids were well and truely ready for bed. I think you adjust to the time zones on the way over well because you are on holiday. It is the adjustment back that really sucks :)

In Southern Italy we did have to show our international license. We used www.driveaway.com.au. They are based in Australia and find the best deal for you. Any issues you can ring them 24/7 and they will sort it out.

Edited by littlemen, 07 March 2018 - 05:07 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.