Europe Travel Thread....

• Please log in to reply
952 replies to this topic

#1 purpleduck

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:55 PM

I just saw the USA Travel thread......

and thought I'd start one up for Europe...... :D

am I allowed?? :ninja: or does a mod have to do it?? Seems to be a few of us planning/dreaming etc

#2 Cimbom

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:57 PM

I think one already exists

#3 purpleduck

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:00 PM

Ooh really? I did look but maybe it's a bit old.... ((((off to rummage in the EB archives)))))

#4 purpleduck

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:01 PM

Ok, have found one but it is from 2014.... might be time to have an updated one? :yes:

#5 Grassyrat

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:03 PM

Regular European traveller here willing to answer questions!

#6 purpleduck

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:20 PM

Actually, this is probably a more generic international travel question....

What do people do with their passports? I keep having people recommend to leave at the hotel safe (assuming we have a room safe I guess?) and just to have a photocopy of it etc when we're out and about.

I'm a bit old school though and when I have previously travelled, have always had it on me (safely).

Or does it depend on the country you are in? I believe some have stricter ID carrying requirements?

#7 Grassyrat

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

In the safe always!

Unless you're shopping duty free then take it with you

#8 spr_maiden

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:11 PM

ooh, good thread.

We're thinking of heading to Europe this year. Two adults and two children. No real plan or idea of when, where, what to do.  I'm a real novice here.

Definitely want to go to Amsterdam and Copenhagan.  Have heard Prague is must visit as it is ridiculously pretty. Would like to see Germany and Italy though not sure where in those countries.
Which would you prefer to do - timewise, moneywise, etc:

In May, spend 4/5 days in Dubai then head to Europe.

or

In late September, possibly 4/5 days in Frankfurt then travel from there.

I may be flying on my own with the children one way for either of these.

Any suggestions appreciated.

#9 purpleduck

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

So what if the hotel room doesn't have a safe? I don't know how comfortable I feel leaving my passport anywhere else really....

#10 purpleduck

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:17 PM

spr_maiden - have you guys all got passports?

#11 lizzzard

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:20 PM

We visited Prague last Christmas - it was very pretty, especially at that time of year. The Christmas Markets are gorgeous.

I think Amsterdam might the my favourite city in the world. I just love it's completely unpretentious, approachable style, the bike-riding culture, wonderful art galleries, all the water (canals), and open-minded, straight-forward people. I'm going for my fourth visit soon (just before Easter).

The next 5 on my list are: Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Greece  and Ireland.

#12 spr_maiden

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:32 PM

No purpleduck.

Edited by spr_maiden, 05 March 2018 - 09:50 PM.

#13 MooGuru

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:39 PM

Lizzzard with some of the countries you want to see I wonder if Estonia might be one to add to your list.

#14 eachschoolholidays

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:45 PM

Oooohhhh... I’m always keen for a Europe thread.

I’m heading the Gernany and England next month for 4 1/2. It’s just me though. Dh is going to come over for 10 days which will be nice.

Normally we take the kids and I’m always looking for a reason to return. In my mind I’ve tentatively pencilled in Xmas 2019...

#15 SeaPrincess

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:54 PM

I always leave my passports in a safe place. Most hotels have safes in the room, in my youth, the hostels had safes or lockers that could be used, and apartments usually have somewhere suitable. I carry my purse with drivers licence, etc, on a day-to-day basis.

We were in Europe in December/January. If you’re in Paris, try Hidden Paris Walking Tours http://www.hidden-paris.com
We were a group of 7, so DH organised 3 tours with them, just for us.

#16 purpleduck

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:16 PM

spr_maiden - we're planning on going next year but I want to get all the documentation sorted so we can go ahead and book flights etc (have had family members who had hassles with passport renewals, so want to get these ducks in a row).

If you're going this year, good to get it all sorted sooner rather than later :) I think with kids applications, you need your own or your partner's birth certificate? I'm having to hunt mine down or ask my parent's where it is....

#17 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:33 PM

Spr_maiden - Copenhagen in late May was stunning, the gardens were beautiful, the tulips and irises in Tivoli gardens were incredible. Tivoli was wonderful.

I think DH has vague plans for a family ski trip to France in January. DD will love it, but DS will be one and I don’t think that will be such fun.

#18 littlepickle

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:38 PM

Ohh.. will be looking forward to this thread as we are booked for December/ January. So far have managed to keep accommodation between $185- $ 250 per night for the 4 of us which is making the budget look a little better.
One question at the moment - would you do Salzburg as a day trip from Munich or is it a must to stay overnight?

Thanks in advance

#19 SeaPrincess

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:45 AM

View Postpurpleduck, on 05 March 2018 - 10:16 PM, said:

spr_maiden - we're planning on going next year but I want to get all the documentation sorted so we can go ahead and book flights etc (have had family members who had hassles with passport renewals, so want to get these ducks in a row).

If you're going this year, good to get it all sorted sooner rather than later Posted Image I think with kids applications, you need your own or your partner's birth certificate? I'm having to hunt mine down or ask my parent's where it is....

We travelled in December, and it was on my to-do list to renew some of our passports in July. When I finally got to it in September or October, I realised I needed to renew 7, not 4, including 4 British passports, which have to be sent to the UK. We had them all within 3 weeks of submission. The forms tell you what you need, and if you have the photos taken at Australia Post, they will make sure they meet the requirements, so there shouldn't be any delay.

#20 lizzzard

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:41 AM

Moogoo- that's a great suggestion! I've heard Estonia is great. We haven't seen much of Eastern Europe except for driving through Kosovo and a few days in Macedonia. DD really wants to see Russia. Maybe we could combine Russia and Estonia!

#21 born.a.girl

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:04 AM

View Postspr_maiden, on 05 March 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

ooh, good thread.

We're thinking of heading to Europe this year. Two adults and two children. No real plan or idea of when, where, what to do.  I'm a real novice here.

Definitely want to go to Amsterdam and Copenhagan.  Have heard Prague is must visit as it is ridiculously pretty. Would like to see Germany and Italy though not sure where in those countries.
Which would you prefer to do - timewise, moneywise, etc:

In May, spend 4/5 days in Dubai then head to Europe.

or

In late September, possibly 4/5 days in Frankfurt then travel from there.

I may be flying on my own with the children one way for either of these.

Any suggestions appreciated.

We were in the same boat a few weeks ago: looking for late August /September dates that worked for us.  I found it really tricky with the airfares, especially given we wanted to fly in and out of different airports.  All the airlines seem to have different dates for their high seasons and I wasn't getting a feel for which airline to go with.

Decided one day, why not May?    Etihad consistently came up as the best option on any aggregator search engine mid may to mid June.

Best of all, they have a stayover offer, whereby we are staying two nights in a five star hotel for two nights, 24 hour checking (brilliant given we arrive at 6am), plus breakfast, for two people for $127 total.

Flying into Paris and out of Dublin.  Two days Abu Dhabi, seven nights Paris, seven nights Wales, seventeen nights Ireland.   In September we were going to do the reverse, but in May we decided to get an extra degree in Ireland by being there in June.

Most of the airlines seem to have stopover deals at their home base, so have a look at what Emirates offer for Dubai.

#22 born.a.girl

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:40 AM

For those with wide experience:

We have just prebooked a side trip in Ireland, and any complaints on tripadvisor tend to revolve around needing to have a printed copy of the booking.  (Which is why we've prebooked.)

How common is it in Europe (specifically France, Wales & Ireland) to need to have a printed copy, rather than electronic confirmation of the booking?

Obviously once you've left for the trip, you've left easy access to a printer behind.  Where do you get things printed?  Do you ask the accommodation provider for a favour?  Go to a post office?

(Just to add, we will be printing anything booked before we leave, as backup as much as anything else, this is for bookings along the way.)

TIA.

#23 seayork2002

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:25 AM

I have tendancy to print paper confirmation but have done it less on the last trip to the UK, if you can access your phones as you go and can just pull it up on screen if you need to.

Local libraries and post offices should be able to help if you do want to print.

Maybe as a compromise write down any booking/reference numbers in a notebook and keep it all together?

Although as I said I print it I can only think of one time in many trips I felt they actually needed it

Edited by seayork2002, 06 March 2018 - 08:26 AM.

#24 born.a.girl

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:47 AM

View Postseayork2002, on 06 March 2018 - 08:25 AM, said:

I have tendancy to print paper confirmation but have done it less on the last trip to the UK, if you can access your phones as you go and can just pull it up on screen if you need to.

Local libraries and post offices should be able to help if you do want to print.

Maybe as a compromise write down any booking/reference numbers in a notebook and keep it all together?

Although as I said I print it I can only think of one time in many trips I felt they actually needed it

Sure, my point is some places specifically require the printed booking.  Not on the phone, not a written down booking number.   Post offices and libraries are not necessarily open when you need it.

I've actually got all the booking confirmations sorted in folders in my email. That won't be much help if there's no electronic access though.

Good to know you haven't needed it often, that's really what I was looking for - how common IS it, to need hard copy?

#25 SeaPrincess

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

DH printed stuff and put it in a display folder in chronological order of when it would be required. He’s not normally this organised! We also found that lots of places that said they needed the printed copy didn’t actually seem to care.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.