What would you have done?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Poll: What would you have done? (431 member(s) have cast votes)

You find a dead cockroach in the cutlery section of dishwasher which is filled with clean dishes. Do you:

1. Calmly fish it out with tongs and unpack the dishwasher as usual? (95 votes [21.69%])

Percentage of vote: 21.69%

2. Remove the cockroach with a look of utter disgust on your face, then re-run the dishwasher? (304 votes [69.41%])

Percentage of vote: 69.41%

3. Leave the whole thing for someone else to deal with? (14 votes [3.20%])

Percentage of vote: 3.20%

4. Start googling the price of a new dishwasher? (4 votes [0.91%])

Percentage of vote: 0.91%

5. Burn your entire house down as this must be emblematic of a wider problem? (19 votes [4.34%])

Percentage of vote: 4.34%

6. Other? (2 votes [0.46%])

Percentage of vote: 0.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 eigne

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:39 AM

I considered all of these options but settled for rewashong the load. Should I have bothered?

#2 paddington_

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

Leave it for DH, where he would no doubt re-run the load.

#3 Caribou

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:44 AM

Cockroaches are very clean creatures. and if he just went through a wash, he's even cleaner.

#4 coffy11

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:45 AM

I'd like to think by then the cockroach is dead and clean so not going to contaminate anything so i'm just going to fish it out.

But in reality I'd probably be so disgusted I'd get a new dishwasher

#5 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:47 AM

Does the cockroach look clean and well rinsed? If so, possibly the first option. If it looked like it had gone and died there after the wash had finished, then the second option.

#6 seayork2002

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:49 AM

Remove set the cycle again - then tell DH when I saw/spoke to him next to listen to him scream like Ned Flanders.

(I am the bug catcher in our place)

Edited by seayork2002, 13 February 2018 - 11:52 AM.

#7 lozoodle

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:51 AM

I'm lazy. I'd fish it out.

#8 Hands Up

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:53 AM

That would freak me out. I'd have to start the cycle again after fishing it out.

#9 Inkogneatoh

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

It would depend on when the cockroach was found. Had he just gone through the wash? Or had the cleaned dishes been left in the open dish washer to air dry?

Personally, depending on how soon I needed the dishes, just rinse the cutlery under some hot water (or a freshly boiled kettle).

#10 PrincessPeach

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

I'd fish it out & just do a quick wash.

I'd assume he would have done the entire load in there, so should be squeaky clean. But the thought of it means I'd have to re-wash.

#11 HRH Countrymel

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:55 AM

I would be more concerned that there was a cockroach at all.

I live in the promised land (Tasmania) and we do not have your foul and odious scuttling mainlander vermin.

#12 seayork2002

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:57 AM

HRH Countrymel, on 13 February 2018 - 11:55 AM, said:

I live in the promised land (Tasmania) and we do not have your foul and odious scuttling mainlander vermin.

It just twigged that second and I was about to come back and edited my response.

I guess now I think about if it got in the dishwasher the dishwasher itself then I would want to stop it happening again.

#13 Riotproof

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:59 AM

That is the best reason I’ve ever heard that makes me think Tasmania might be okay to live in.

#14 Riotproof

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:02 PM

Btw, it is a sign you've got a problem. If you're in Sydney though, pretty much everyone has the problem. I imagine up in qld it's the same, but I don't know.

I buy strips from the supermarket which have a sticky side. It does seem to sort them out, otherwise I just haven't seen any lately.

#15 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:08 PM

I would empty the dishwasher, empty the cockroach into the bin, run a clean cycle with the cleaner stuff through it.  Then I would repack the dishwasher and run it through 2 full long cycles.  If I didn't do this I would throw out everything that was in the dishwasher.  DH would agree with me - we don't do bug things!

#16 suburban dystopia

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:10 PM

I would be disgusted, and fish out the cockroach. And run again, because squeamish/environment hater obviously.

If it were a huntsman? Hell to the no. I would need a new dishwasher or perhaps house.

I wonder how people would feel about the three mice I have rescued from our (indoor) cats over the past fortnight? I have surprised myself with my ability to scoop them in a dustpan and relocate them to the park over the road.

#17 BornToLove

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:14 PM

I’d fish it out, run the cycle again (extra hot too) and then start looking into pest control options.

#18 essentiallyme

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:30 PM

Fish it out and throw the tongs and then unpack.
I think rerunning the washer would be a waste of water.

Just reread and would rewash by hand the cutlery.

Edited by essentiallyme, 13 February 2018 - 12:35 PM.

#19 Rowenas Necklace

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:32 PM

I was tossing up between "leave it for someone else" (have absolutely done that before) and "burn the house down", but as I am now Very Brave, I would fish it out with a disgusted look (and probably several layers of something between me and it) and rewash the load.

No way would I just unpack the dishes - what if I find legs on them? :sick:

#20 Ailurophiliac

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:32 PM

I would admonish the cat for not doing their duty lol

Seriously I would just fish it out and rewash the cutlery

#21 Glittery Fairy

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:38 PM

i have a really bad phobia of cockroaches. i'd literally burn the house down.

#22 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:42 PM

Top ten Reasons to live in Tasmania.

1. No cockroaches
2. No cockroaches
3. No cockroaches
4. No cockroaches
5. Proximity to the Ebers known as cMel and eponee.
6. No cockroaches
7. No cockroaches
8. No cockroaches
9. The weather
10. No cockroaches

#23 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:56 PM

My facial expression would be just like Myra Licht from Episodes.
https://g.co/kgs/SrWmo6

#24 Daffy2016

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:58 PM

Burn down the house.

I cannot do cockroaches at all. In all honesty I would really struggle eating off those dishes again.

#25 arc en ciel

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:58 PM

We've had a few dead cockies in the dishwasher. I just fish it out and throw it in the bin, no rewashing. Honestly, if there's one in your house chances are it's crawled through your cupboards anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.