Annie as a stand alone name?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Peashy

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:13 AM

Do you think Annie could be used as a name on its own or would you assume it’s short for something?

I don’t mind longer names like Anneliese or Annabelle but hubby really wants to use Annie on its own. Plus I’d prefer a 2 syllable name to go with older siblings Oskar & Henry.

Open to other suggestions for names too. Currently on our shortlist are Elsa, Annie and Daisy. Would love something short and classic (but not too popular) that fits with her brothers names.

#2 eponee

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:22 AM

Love Annie!  Elsa is ok.  Daisy is cute for a little girl but not appealing for an adult.

Freya is lovely and goes well with your son's names

Edited by eponee, 13 February 2018 - 07:23 AM.

#3 kerilyntaryn

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:25 AM

what about Anna  nn Annie

Alice, Audrey, Elsie, Claire, Grace, Eve, Eva, Lucy, Lily, Stella, Zara, Rose, Sophie, Phoebe, Laura, Mae, Ruby, Kate, Hannah, Emma, Elise

#4 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:26 AM

Love Annie. I have a niece named Annie.

#5 born.a.girl

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:27 AM

I would use it but use a longer version on the birth certificate, and not tell a soul if you thought anyone you know might insist on using it.

One name I liked in early nineties was Lily (just becoming popular then) but would have called her Lilian so she could use that if she wanted as she got older.

That said, I think people make names their own, and I'm probably projecting a bit because my name is hard to shorten, and I'd have loved two options.

#6 Imaginary friend

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:27 AM

I think Annie can be used as a stand alone name - and If that is what I was planning to call her I would use it, not Annabel or something .

Although I prefer Anna myself - but then I would be calling her Anna, not Annie.

#7 Astrocyte

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:31 AM

I think Annie can be used as a stand alone name. It's a lovely name. Not a fan of Elsa or daisy. I found them both too cutesy which IMO works for a child but not for an adult.

#8 FloralArrangement

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:39 AM

eponee, on 13 February 2018 - 07:22 AM, said:

Love Annie!  Elsa is ok.  Daisy is cute for a little girl but not appealing for an adult.

Freya is lovely and goes well with your son's names

We have a 23 year old Daisy and the name has grown well with her and works fine for her as an adult. Lily and Rose are our other two,  no extensions needed.

#9 Gudrun

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:39 AM

It's actually tried and true.  My grandmother was Annie Millicent.

#10 Little_o

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:56 AM

I like Annie. I think of your shortlist it goes the best with the boys names.

#11 seayork2002

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:21 AM

I love the name Annie

but personally I don't get using one name on a birth certificate but then using a totally different name normally.

Why not just use the one name? (I am speaking of this generally)

#12 Lallalla

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:32 AM

I always thought I didn’t like nicknames as actual names but as it turns out one of my daughters has exactly that and it was my choice. I didn’t want her called by the long name just the short one. I think Annie (and my DD name) has been around long enough now that it can be classed as a diminuative (so?) of Annabelle etc.

#13 vanessa71

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:33 AM

DD has a friend called Annie, she is 13 and it's not short for anything. No reason you can't do it, I just prefer Anna.

#14 suburban dystopia

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:39 AM

My great grandmother was called Annie, but Anne on her birth certificate.

I knew someone who was named, for example, Cathy, and got very irritated because nobody would believe that was her 'actual' name, and kept asking for more proof that Cathy wasn't short for something.

I suspect everyone would think that Annie was short for something or a nickname for something in this day and age.

I would also lean towards Ann/Anne/Anna as a formal name, but announce and introduce her to everyone as Annie.

I also know a child named, for example, Susannah, who is known to the entire world as Kitty, and has been pretty much from birth. No rhyme or reason.

So you can call a child whatever you want, but expect them to be annoyed by the questions when they are older.

I don't think I've been of any help so I will shut up with this waffle now.

#15 AnotherFeral

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:39 AM

I prefer Anna too, but there's nothing wrong with Annie.

#16 seayork2002

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:45 AM

If someone said to me there name was Sam, Tom, Bob, Jane, Sarah, Annie, Ann, Todd, Matt, Cathy I would assume that is their name.

Yes some people might be called the above as a nickname but I name people what they tell me.

if someone's name is written Sam but pronounce Sarm or whatever I would think that is odd but if a person tells you their assuming it is their name it probably safest.

I find it a little odd to to think that there name is different to what they tell you it is

#17 Sarzie

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:45 AM

Love Annie on its own and it does go really well with the other names

#18 Ozquoll

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:49 AM

Team Annie!

#19 HRH Countrymel

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:10 AM

I'd prefer Anne but using Annie day to day.

Both my sister and I have 'ie' ending names and to be honest they are a bit cutesie as you go through your adult life.

My sister especially has a name (it was our Grandmother's name) that EVERYONE assumes is the affectionate version of her real name and in fact goes by the single syllable shortening of her actual 'ie' name 99% of the time!

So you may in fact end up with a child called Anne!

#20 BornToLove

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:25 AM

DD has several friends that use variations of Ann - Ann, Anne and Anna - that are stand alone names. I think Annie could be used on its own. When she's older she can drop the '-ie' and use the more mature 'Ann' if she chooses.

#21 Karlee99

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:29 AM

I love Anna, it was a name on my list but the fact that I had male children hampered me actually using it.

I say if you like Annie, use it

#22 Littlecloud

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:59 AM

I would do Annabel, Anne or Anna with the nickname.

Annie is very cutesy and may not hold well as an adult.
I know a Rosie who detests it as an adult and choses to call herself Rose now.

My personal preference is always to have a 'formal' name and whatever nickname to use, nicknames that are cute as kids may not suit well as an adult. So she could be Anna on the birth certificate, but Annie as a constant nickname. When she goes to school if she still prefers Annie it can be put on the roll as such.

#23 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:04 AM

I have a friend whi grew up being called Susie. However she decided to go back to Sue when her working career started as it wasn't professional enough.

#24 majirlo

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:05 AM

Love the name Annie, mainly because it is so easy to say and everyone I know with this name is sweet and friendly. These days anything can be a name on its own and it does go really well with Oskar and Henry.

Also think Lucy would work really well with your boys names. I know a gorgeous Lucy who gets called Luu by close family and friends.

#25 Apageintime

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:32 AM

I'd probably use Anne on the birth certificate

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.