What’s making you happy today?

• Please log in to reply
2345 replies to this topic

#2251 WTF*A*Lot

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:45 PM

DD speaking up for kids she knows can’t/won’t speak up for themselves at school. DD is loud, sometimes angry and defiant, but if she sees or hears something she knows will affect someone then she will speak up. She has even done this for a girl she really does not like.

Apparently another teacher(head teacher) told her class yesterday that they were never going to amount to anything and they know nothing and a whole lot more that should not have been said. DD spoke to one of the assistant principals, as she knows there are a couple of kids in that class who would have taken what the teacher said personally and badly.

#2252 Sentient Puddle

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

View PostWTF*A*Lot, on 17 May 2019 - 01:45 PM, said:

DD speaking up for kids she knows can’t/won’t speak up for themselves at school. DD is loud, sometimes angry and defiant, but if she sees or hears something she knows will affect someone then she will speak up. She has even done this for a girl she really does not like.

Apparently another teacher(head teacher) told her class yesterday that they were never going to amount to anything and they know nothing and a whole lot more that should not have been said. DD spoke to one of the assistant principals, as she knows there are a couple of kids in that class who would have taken what the teacher said personally and badly.

Good on your DD.  My DD is just like this - not an angel in any sense of the word - but absolutely knows and can act when something is just wrong and has done something very similar to this in the past.

#2253 Catzilla

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:25 PM

DD really wanted her ears pierced for an early 5th birthday present, but initially chickened out. A little while later, she discovered her bravery and got it done despite her initial reticence.

#2254 nom_de_plume

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:10 PM

My workplace ran some great events in support of the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Interphobia and Transphobia (IDAHOBIT). So pleased to be part of a work place that is inclusive and striving to raise awareness.

#2255 nom_de_plume

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:11 PM

My workplace ran some great events in support of the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Interphobia and Transphobia (IDAHOBIT). So pleased to be part of a work place that is inclusive and striving to raise awareness.

#2256 cardamom

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:52 PM

View Postnom_de_plume, on 17 May 2019 - 06:11 PM, said:

Mine too. Except our Facebook page is now flooded with the most horrendous comments :(

#2257 nom_de_plume

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:31 PM

View Postcardamom, on 17 May 2019 - 06:52 PM, said:

Mine too. Except our Facebook page is now flooded with the most horrendous comments :(

Just highlights the need for the day even more really :( Sad that such attitudes still persevere.

#2258 notsoretro

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:53 PM

Tomorrow I am going on an mountain adventure with a friend. Cue markets, op shops, yummy food and a musical with a hotel stay and flash breakfast on Sunday

#2259 BadCat

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:25 AM

Not a goddamn thing.

#2260 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:33 AM

yeh, not much.

abbott lost his seat.

anning may not be returned to parliament

doesn’t look like clive managed to secure a single seat.

but the climate’s ****ed and dutton remains.

might go and buy some shares. if you can’t beat em join em hey.

#2261 Catzilla

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:34 AM

Not much at the moment.  Even the weather here is grey and cloudy, with a possible thunderstorm on the way.

#2262 BadCat

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:36 AM

View PostCatzilla, on 19 May 2019 - 07:34 AM, said:

Not much at the moment.  Even the weather here is grey and cloudy, with a possible thunderstorm on the way.

Well that would make me happy.  Send it over here.  I want thunder and lightning.  It will suit my mood a whole lot better than all this sunshine and these damn birds chirping as though everything is fine.

#2263 mayahlb

Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:25 PM

Angry and depressed about the election but...

My little kid really impressed me today. He was invited to a party by a younger child from OSHC (this boy was turning 6, little kid is about to turn 9). They had a piñata and he collected a heap of lollies. He went around with them and gave all but one away, making sure the other kids all got a fair amount. And he kept an eye on making sure the little kids were included, got snacks and lollies and was generally a kind and caring kid.

#2264 Catzilla

Posted 19 May 2019 - 04:15 PM

View PostBadCat, on 19 May 2019 - 09:36 AM, said:

Well that would make me happy.  Send it over here.  I want thunder and lightning.  It will suit my mood a whole lot better than all this sunshine and these damn birds chirping as though everything is fine.

If I could, I'd package it up and send it right over.

#2265 Secret Squirrel

Posted 19 May 2019 - 04:20 PM

1. My DD had a successful home visit today from hospital.

2. My house is tidier and cleaner than normal.

3. While things are pretty crap overall I have support.

#2266 Sancti-claws

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM

Cooked gluten-free shortbread, pikelets and pumkin scones today - all successful - for our Biggest Morning Tea on Thursday (so the latter two in the freezer).

DD cooked Raspberry White Chocolate muffins to enter the Great Baker competition we are running for the BMT - they are DELICIOUS - she keeps wanting me to tell her if she is going to win - I have advised hectoring the organiser is against the competition rules "but Mu-um".

#2267 Fresh Start

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:19 PM

It’s my birthday this week and I have the day off.

#2268 Paddlepop

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:44 PM

My parents' dog loved the squeaky pig toy I bought for her. She was obsessed with it from the moment she smelt it and took it in her mouth. It's going to be a well loved pig unless she decides to destroy it in her usual quest for the squeaker of any toy she gets.

#2269 BadCat

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:23 AM

Not sure if this is gonna to count as making me happy or not, but I just bullied the hell out myself and made myself get out of bed instead of wallowing in a fit of depression and tears.  I'm going to work.  I'll be late.  I don't care.

So yay me, I guess.

#2270 Nerdette

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:47 PM

My baby took the mother flippin' bottle! We have been trying for MONTHS, I even paid one of my DS' daycare teachers to come over and try, with no luck.
DH has taken some pat leave and on day one sits down with her and she downs the whole bottle!
I can go out at night again! I can leave her with someone over a feed and not feel stressed about either of them!
I am so proud of my DD and DH

#2271 lozoodle

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:00 PM

I spent last week at Disneyland, universal studios, San Francisco (night tour of Alcatraz omg amazing) and now I'm in Hawaii sitting outside and enjoying some afternoon sun. I know, I'm a jerk. but I figure this is my last holiday for a million years due to $$ after this so lap it up while I can!

:)

#2272 Catzilla

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:00 AM

DD's 5th birthday party coming up next Saturday.  We gave out 10 invitations, and as of the RSVP date had had 7 acceptances, and only 2 rejections.  Yes, I had to chase up a few of those on RSVP day, but I'm happy for DD that the parents of the invitees were able to give me a definite answer when I asked.

#2273 WTFJerk

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:08 PM

I’m watchingEurovision .  It’s pretty good, and fun

#2274 AliasMater

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:51 PM

My baby, an absolute delight and the apple of my eye. I'm just loving every moment.

#2275 Catzilla

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:28 PM

Knocking of 1,100 words of my 2,000 word Annotated Bibliography assignment for Uni that's due Monday and I hadn't even started 48 hours ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.