Reality of recovery once home.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Ollie83

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

It'll be a caesarean for us due to previous surgery.

I'm realistic about pain and lack of ability to move much in hospital.

But practical tips for recovery at home? What was ability like to do basic house keeping, driving, washing etc?

We're quite isolated from family who can help for large amounts of time.

What can I put in place now to help later?

#2 Dirty Cat

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:19 AM

I was able to do all tasks within.a week .
Just went at my own pace so not to overdo it

#3 Bearynice

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

I was able to do most things just bit slower! I would find if I tried to do too much then I could tell and just wind back a bit.
I didn’t vacuum for a bit ( as that movement was difficult) and I found lifting the basket of wet washing pretty heavy. But I think everyone is different.

I would save some jobs until dh was home.
I used the clothes Airer so I didn’t have to carry washing basket up and down stairs.

You could look at hiring a cleaner if the budget allows.

#4 avocado toast

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:33 AM

I was driving after 2 weeks. Vacuuming after a week. First few days I was sore but after that I was fine.

#5 Luci

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:37 AM

I have had 3 c-sections and have been fortunate to have a quick and easy recovery each time. It was a bit painful for the first few days (while still in hospital) but as long as I kept up with the pain medication is was fine.  

I was pretty much pain free by the time I got home (spent 5 days in hospital each time) and did not alter my activities at all - ie did what I would have done even if I had not had a c-section.

#6 babybug15

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

It can depend on the individual as to how they recover. Take it slowly.

Pre-make meals & freeze them. Accept vacuuming & mopping won't get done as often. And I agree with PP about using a close horse for washing. I put the basket of wet washing on a chair as well to minimise reaching. Do a big bathroom clean now so you can let it slide for a bit in the first few weeks.

#7 WaitForMe

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:44 AM

I was driving after a couple of weeks, but took things easy around the house. Its important to be moving and doing stuff but not overdo it. Pushing the pram up or down hills was a challenge, I think downhill was particularly bad, as was carrying a capsule. Mine weighed a tonne, I shouldn't have carried it at all tbh.

On driving, phone up your insurance company and make sure you are covered. Apparently some of them require you to wait 6 weeks after a c-section. Mine didn't, so not all of them are like that. You can always change policies if you need to, as its a bit ridiculous.

#8 Goldenash

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

I have had two.

My best advice is to take all the drugs they offer for the first few days. The first one I though best to cut back and my recovery was much slower. Not terrible - but i did get a bit of pain if I sat up the wrong way.

The second was brilliant. I took the drugs religiously for the first couple of days and then slightly reducing for the next couple of weeks. I found I was able to most things very slowly (although I don't think I tried vacuuming in the first two weeks! And I didn't drive for a month.
However I didn't test it - as my husband was home I just didn't need to). I also didn't try picking up my then almost 2 year old for about 3.5 weeks - but we got around that by her just climbing on me when I was sitting. I think I just planned things around not lifting heavy items for 3 or so weeks maybe a little bit more.

Also had problems reaching the clothes line - but really not essential stuff.

However getting around the house, changing nappies etc were all fine. I don't recall heaps of cooking - but doubt that had much to do with the case sat

#9 Soontobegran

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:54 AM

Your pain should be well managed post C/S, enough for you to be able to get out of bed within 12 hours (or less) go to the loo and care for your baby.
By day 3 as a midwife caring for mums it was very often hard to tell who'd had a C/S and who had a tear or episiotomy.

The incision is very low on the abdomen and this means you are not as conscious of guarding your tummy as you are when you've had other abdominal surgery.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised about what you can do in a relatively short time but much of your post op recovery can depend on whether you have other children at home, whether your newborn is unsettled or not or whether you have someone at home to support you.
Take it slowly but move, take all the analgesia you are prescribed before you are in too much pain and if someone wants to cook you a meal or do your shopping then let them.

Good luck at this exciting time.

#10 MrsLexiK

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:57 AM

By day three in hospital I was sitting on the bed with crossed legs. Was wearing jeans (high waisted) at home with the first. I walked slowly with the first and had more ills with the first because I had a tear (failed forceps).

#11 a letter to Elise.

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:04 PM

It's different for every one I think.

I've had 3. The first was very painful, with a slow recovery. I needed help getting in and out of bed for a few more days. I didn't vacuum for a couple of months. Pushing trolleys at the shops was really painful for a few months, but the pram was fine after about 2 weeks.

Second was much better. Still sore, but almost normal activity level after a couple of weeks.

Third was long and painful. I still have some issues and it's been a year! Multiple post operative infections, nerve damage etc.

Things that help - putting the folding on a table so you aren't bending all the time
Get someone else to load/unload the washing machine
Put groceries on the bench to unpack
Skip the vacuuming for a month or so
Get groceries delivered if you can - you'd be surprised by how much your tummy is used when steering a trolley.

Some gentle stretching, like laying on the floor with your arms above your head can help. Keep in mind, without your stomach muscles working properly, your back may get sore.

#12 itsallnew

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

I had my second CS 12 days ago. I’m fine to cook dinner, hang washing etc but haven’t attempted sweeping or vacuuming and probably won’t for a couple of weeks yet. Looking after baby isn’t a problem. My 2yo is struggling to understand that I can’t lift her up but is mostly ok to climb in and out of her car seat (I’m not driving yet) and I have help for bathing her. I probably could do more if I had to but I learned last time that resting and being a bit more conservative is what works best for me. It’s so individual- my recovery this time has been much quicker than after my emergency CS last time.

#13 skicat

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:47 PM

Lifting anything heavier than the baby ( around 4 kgs) ie. basket of wet washing, bags of groceries ,toddlers etc. not recommended for 6 weeks.
A lot of Doctors recommend not driving for 6 weeks, check your car insurance too.Might be in trouble legally if you are in an accident, driving against Drs orders( I'm not a lawyer) btw.

Edited by skicat, 27 January 2018 - 01:50 PM.

#14 WaitForMe

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:00 PM

Another thing I found hard was a weekly grocery shop.

Putting a few things in the trolley is one thing, but putting one thing after another, over and over again, then getting them out onto the conveyor belt, then the bags in the trolley, bags in the car, bags in the house... that was too much for quite a while.

#15 Hope28

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:49 PM

Two planned C sections here.

I didn't drive for 6 weeks after each. I felt ready from about 3-4 weeks each time but wasn't covered by insurance.

With housework, I found that the most important thing was to take it slowly and listen to my body. There were things I could do comfortably from early on and others I couldn't do for weeks or even months.

I used a clothes airer to hang washing if DH wasn't around to do it- I couldn't reach up to hang washing on the line for weeks both times.

I didn't do a lot of sweeping or that sort of housework but was OK to make simple meals pretty soon afterwards, as long as I could sit down often.

I'd suggest having at least some food in the freezer, stocking the pantry with all the long life staples (eg pasta, sauces, etc), and consider having some readymade meals on standby. Buy up on things like toilet paper, dishwashing liquid, etc as well. If it's an option, getting groceries delivered can be a big help.

I tried to save most freezer meals for after DH had gone back to work. It was easier for one of us to cook a meal from scratch with us both home and save the easy options for later.

If you have any stairs in your house, try to limit how many times you need to go up and down them each day.  

Oh, and take the drugs when in hospital. Being in pain from trying to soldier on without painkillers slows your recovery. Ask me how I know... (Luckily I learnt my lesson quickly!)

It's pretty standard now (barring serious complications) after the operation to be up and about within 12-24 hours. I had to take it very slowly but found that this was great (especially having a shower!). I think it helped me recover as I felt less "sick", if that makes sense.

#16 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:18 AM

Just echoing most of the above advice. I had two c/s and found I could do most things within a week or two but just a bit slower than before. One of the most painful things, unfortunately, was laughing! I found that holding my operation site helped when anything funny happened.

#17 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:41 AM

I had almost no pain from either of my c-sections and felt pretty comfortable doing most things after a week. I did refrain from lifting anything much other than my big baby, and I didn’t push the pram up the hill with the toddler and baby in it (was ok with just the baby). Listen to your body and don’t overdo things.

#18 Oh Peanuts!

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:48 AM

I always find the advice around driving interesting. I felt ready after about 3-4 weeks, but was able to wait till the 6 week mark luckily. We have a manual car and using the clutch for the first time was definitely noticeable after the Caesar, so in reality I’m not sure I could have driven safely at 3 weeks even though I felt ready. I could be wrong, but have always wondered if the driving experience of others depends on the type of car (auto vs manual)

#19 Moukmouk

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:40 AM

The driving thing becomes a bit of an urban myth. I've had two c-sections, and had changed insurance companies between them. Neither company had any opinion on when I could drive, apart from not been under the influence of sedating painkillers. My OB said I could drive when I felt up to it.it was more about been comfortable braking and turning to check blind spots, etc. I drove st three weeks post- op, but could have done I think at two weeks. With number two I was out walking with the pram by the time he was two weeks old. I was going stir crazy. The second planned one was much less painful.
Like others have said, take the drugs and take it easy,  us honestly it's not as bad as it's made out to be. Mastitis was way more painful.

#20 **Xena**

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

I've had 5 c-sections and the recovery was really good for all of them. I had to keep reminding myself to not overdo it because I felt good but it takes longer to heal internally even though you feel fine. My husband was home for the first couple of weeks to help out which was nice :)

#21 *Andi*

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:25 AM

The physio at my hospital told us that even if you feel up to doing the things you are supposed to avoid post-CS, you still shouldn't do them as you can do damage without realising.

Driving I was doing when DH went back to work, so about 3 weeks after DD2. Insurance company was fine as long as my OB was, and he just required me to be off my pain meds. Which I was when I left hospital as I didn't need them anymore. DD1 was different as I was still on meds for my BP (I had PE) which made me woozy. It was still before 6 weeks though.

As above, using a clothes horse inside, as reaching up to the clothesline is something they say to avoid, and having meals ready to go in the freezer once DH went back to work were very handy.

#22 liveworkplay

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:32 AM

There is a difference between what you can do and what you should do. Overdoing it will compromuse your internal healing. I wouldn't be lifting anything heavier than your baby or stretching too much e.g vacuuming, hanging out washing, mopping floors. As my OB would say to all her c/s patients, it may look good from the outside, but the inside is more important especially if you are planning more pregnancies.

#23 Romeo Void

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:38 AM

I found it pretty easy to be honest. Within days I'd forgotten it had happened. I guess it's because it's so low down it doesn't impact many muscles in your tummy, so I didn't feel anything much when I'd bend or crouch for example.  I DID find wearing a compression type undie helpful for the first few days, really supportive.  Not super tight but just enough to give a feeling of being held.  As an added bonus the light compression helped my tummy squish down after the birth!

#24 Riotproof

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:49 AM

You need to listen to your own body. I found it relatively easy. My advice for hospital is to take all the medicine they offer you in hospital and get moving as soon as you can. They make you anyway, but apparently some people fight against it.

When you get home. Take it easy. Don’t try to vacuum or hang washing. Push yourself gradually.

#25 MwahMum

Posted 28 May 2019 - 04:01 PM

Just bumping to see if anyone has anything else to add. Booked in for tomorrow so appreciate any other thoughts...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.