Need help to shorten list.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 staceyg92

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:43 PM

Hi all,

First bub on the way and we are trying to narrow down baby names.
Husband really wants a boy so isnt too helpful with any girls names, which makes it a little hard.

What are your thoughts on our short list?

BOY - middle name will be James as its a family name.

GIRL - middle name will be Elizabeth as its a family name.

Last name starts with G, its an uncommon irish surname. 3 syllables.

Or any other suggests that these names make you think of?

#2 Hands Up

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:47 PM

I really like Zoe (that spelling) and Emma from your list of girls names.

Most of the boys names you have listed are not really my style as I like more classic names and those are very on trend at the moment (but I suspect they will date) but the one I like the most from your list is Lincoln.

#3 Deb01979

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:47 PM

Well I'm going to be no help. I love everything on both of your lists. I'm partial to Cooper and Connor for boy's names, both these names are on my short list for my soon to be arriving son.

I know a Zoe Elizabeth already, so I think that is a particularly nice combination. I'm really interested in how names sound when put together so Harper Elizabeth sounds really good to my ear and Liana Elizabeth.

Good luck!

#4 Gudrun

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

My picks are Finley and Liana. Runners-up Lincoln and Emma.

#5 eponee

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:50 PM

Love Evelyn, Emma and Lincoln.

Have you considered Bridget?  It's an Irish name meaning power, strength, vigor and virtue.  It sound good with Elizabeth.

#6 angelam pacificae

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

None of your names are really grabbing me.

I'd think twice about a girls' name ending in a vowel with the middle name Elizabeth, and Evelyn Elizabeth seems clumsy to me.

I'd suggest Megan Elizabeth.  Or maybe Avril Elizabeth.

For a boy, what about:

Linden James
Avery James
Leonard James

#7 José

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

lincoln and zoe.

#8 kerilyntaryn

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:06 PM

all the boys are good - I think Connor or Finley would go best with your surname - good Irish names

I like Emma and Zoe best then Evelyn.  Alyssa and Liana next

I think the shorter names go better with a longer surname

Edited by kerilyntaryn, 16 January 2018 - 05:14 PM.

#9 Ozquoll

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:16 PM

Lincoln is good, and Harvey is ok. My faves from your girls list are Emma and Evelyn, but they are a bit matchy when paired with Elizabeth. Aubrey is unusual but I feel it might just be the thing 😀

#10 onetrick

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

I like all of your boy names, so I’m no help there! I dont love the sound of Alyssa Elizabeth or Evelyn Elizabeth, but the names are lovely with different middle names. The others are all names that I like.

#11 Imaginary friend

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:11 PM

I like Zoe Elizabeth

Boys names I like Lincoln,Connor, Harvey.

Not so keen on Finley or Cooper.

All work with James middle name.

#12 Pooks Persisted

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:18 PM

I’d honestly be avoiding the name Harvey right now given the famous one making headlines for all the wrong reasons.

I like Connor a lot. CJ has a nice ring to it as an alternative to any attempts at the nickname "Con".

Zoe and Emma are lovely strong classic names that pair well with a longer middle. I do like Evelyn but wouldn't match it with Elizabeth.

#13 chickendrumstick

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

My favourites are:
Finley and Lincoln
Evelyn, Zoe and Emma

Cooper and Connor are NMS and I'd avoid Harvey as PP mentioned.
Zoe was in the top 10 most common names this year. Liana makes me think of vines in a jungle. Aubrey and Harper are just NMS.

#14 Lou-bags

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:36 PM

Harvey James and Emma Elisabeth

(DS1 would have been Emma Elisabeth if he were a girl, and Harvey was on the boy shortlist too!)

#15 Bereckii

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:11 PM

Liana made me think of
- Leilani (pretty)
- Larni (I met one recently - cool name)

Not sure how well they go with Elizabeth though?

Zoe Elizabeth is a great option.

#16 MissMilla

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:45 PM

I really like Connor from your boys list. Was on my shortlist too but too ‘english’ sounding as we dont live in Australia most of the time.
From your girls list i really like Alyssa and Liana. Zoe (prefer it spelled like this) and Emma are nice too.

#17 majirlo

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:11 AM

Love Finley James and it sounds like the nn Fin will go well with your 3 syllable Irish surname. I also love Fletcher James.

Sorry, not a fan of the other boys names.

I like Aubrey Elizabeth. It's not too common, a little contemporary (using Aubrey for a girl), mixed with a great classic and it flows beautifully.

I know a gorgeous 8 year old Aubrey with a sunny personality and it really suits her.

I think one or two syllable names flow much better with Elizabeth G...  Three 3 syllable names is a lot. Also find the sound of Alyssa and Elizabeth too similar with the Aly and Eli.

Ava Elizabeth is gorgeous :)

Edited by majirlo, 18 January 2018 - 05:09 AM.

#18 nasty buddha

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:33 AM

I like all your girl names but I would choose a two syllable first name with Elizabeth and 3 syllable last name starting with G. Emma and Zoey are my favs from your list. Not sure about Emma Elizabeth together.

Boys names aren't my style but I think Finley James and Lincoln James work well.

#19 Imaginary friend

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:36 PM

Harvey is a well established name and in top 100 - Harvey in the news will be yesterday's news before long, that would not stop me using the name.

#20 Sweet.Pea

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:54 PM

View PostGudrun, on 16 January 2018 - 02:48 PM, said:

My picks are Finley and Liana. Runners-up Lincoln and Emma.

I like Finley and Liana too.

Runners up Connor and Harper.

#21 Kreme

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

I used to work in an education related field and there were Connors and Coopers coming out of my ears, so I would avoid those. I have a strong dislike for all of the Fin names, so I would opt for Harvey or Lincoln.

Girls I like Zoe without the y, but it is extremely popular. I hate Aubrey (too American) but like Audrey. Emma is pretty.

#22 EmmDasher

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:40 PM

Can you do James as the first name? That’d be my pick otherwise, Finley.

Next time you’re home alone can you try calling out the girls names. I find Alyssa Elizabeth and Evelyn Elizabeth to be total tongue twisters.

I like Zoe & Harper best. If Aubrey was Audrey it would be right up there too.

#23 Plaxy

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:05 PM

Finley and Emma or Zoe. Stick with Zoe spelling.

#24 amdirel

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:35 AM

I agree with PP that Connor and Cooper are soooo popular at the moment! And I also can't stand Fin names. So Harvey or Lincoln is left, both nice, but I love Lincoln.

With the girls names... I really dislike Harper, not feminine enough for me.
Not a huge fan of Evelyn, Aubrey or Zoe (no y!). I really love Liana, Alyssa and Emma!

#25 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:04 AM

I'm another who will be useless at shortening your boys list as they are all great names.

My favourite from the girls list is Evelyn. I really don't like the name Harper and cannot get my head around Aubrey as a name for a girl. It will always be an old man lawn bowler name to these ears. Have you considered Audrey as an alternative?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Top 5 Articles

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.