Denise

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 kergulen

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:21 PM

WDYT of Denise?

It was not always spelled Denise. As language and spelling evolved over the centuries, it eventually arrived at Denise.

#2 Deb999

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:28 PM

It was popular in the 90s, two of my friends were Denise but I think its really dropped off the radar. I like the name, it's undervalued.

#3 Mands09

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:28 PM

Sorry, Its really not my style.

It's not modern but not classic either. So yeah.

#4 Imaginary friend

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

I think most names have had spelling variations over their evolution.

However 'Denise' is really only established spelling now.

I do know a young Denise, about 8 years old, but all the others I know are 50+.

However, everybody doesnt have to use an 'in' name and it is perfectly normal usable name if you want to use it.

#5 Ianthe

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:48 PM

Denise sounds very dated to me.

#6 Bereckii

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:54 PM

Upon first meeting I might assume that a baby Denise was named after someone special to the parents  (I guess because it's not common now but was more common around the parents/grandparents time)

A little Denise would quickly make the name her own though, whether named after someone specifoc or just because the parents loved the name.

#7 kerilyntaryn

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:19 PM

not too fussed on it,  but its ok,  easy to spell and pronounce

#8 Sparkles66

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:21 PM

I like it. It's a common name in my husbands culture.

#9 Brandy Glitterbuns

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:38 PM

I don't dislike it but I do think it is dated.

#10 Lallalla

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

Denise is my MIL....

#11 just2ofus

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:54 PM

My sister is Denise - she’s in her late 20’s and it suits her to a tee!

#12 Ollie83

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:02 PM

It's not my style of name. But as a names it's good, solid, easy to spell and for a baby not a common name.

#13 Gudrun

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

Popular babyboomer name.  Feminine form of Denis. Inspired yet familiar choice for young ones.

#14 José

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:38 AM

cant say i like it.

#15 Pooks Persisted

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:43 AM

Our kids will probably think it's quaint and old fashioned and it will get popular again, like all the little Audreys and Mabels and Islas now.

#16 Hands Up

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:44 AM

I’m not a fan

#17 Bearynice

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:39 AM

It's my mums name! She is mid 60s. Very popular name amongst her age group.

#18 Glittery Fairy

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

About as exciting as Gloria, Barbara & Mavis.

#19 suburban dystopia

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:05 PM

Glittery Fairy, on 16 January 2018 - 01:35 PM, said:

I quite like Gloria!

The only person I know who was named Denise changed her name as an adult. One of the reasons she gave was not liking having a name which was so often misinterpreted as being the male Denis.

#20 HRH Countrymel

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:21 PM

away in a manger, on 16 January 2018 - 03:05 PM, said:

I quite like Gloria!

The only person I know who was named Denise changed her name as an adult. One of the reasons she gave was not liking having a name which was so often misinterpreted as being the male Denis.

How odd?

It's a reasonably common name - of the many Denises I know I do not think any of them have ever had an issue with people thinking they were a man called Dennis?

I would even call that Denise is more common than Dennis!

One of the most beautiful women I know is a Denise so in my mind it automatically goes to that!

#21 Astrocyte

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

Horrible name. Sounds so dated.

#22 suburban dystopia

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:36 PM

HRH Countrymel, on 16 January 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

How odd?

It's a reasonably common name - of the many Denises I know I do not think any of them have ever had an issue with people thinking they were a man called Dennis?

I would even call that Denise is more common than Dennis!

One of the most beautiful women I know is a Denise so in my mind it automatically goes to that!

Yes, its a rather spurious reason! However, this was the woman who named my DP, so her ideas on names are somewhat unique...

#23 AnotherFeral

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:40 PM

It doesn't grab me but it's a perfectly fine name, not horrible at all!

FWIW my girls have baby boomer names - one in particular was a historically popular name but out of fashion these days. When she was born there were quite a few awkwardly polite reactions. If you are prepared for that, I say go for it.

#24 Guest_KayDan0707_*

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:50 PM

Glittery Fairy, on 16 January 2018 - 01:35 PM, said:

This.  I would also include it with names such as Cheryl, Beryl, Joyce - all dated and unexciting.

#25 fancie shmancie

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:52 PM

AnotherFeral, on 16 January 2018 - 03:40 PM, said:

It doesn't grab me but it's a perfectly fine name, not horrible at all!

FWIW my girls have baby boomer names - one in particular was a historically popular name but out of fashion these days. When she was born there were quite a few awkwardly polite reactions. If you are prepared for that, I say go for it.

As a baby-boomer I'm reeeeaaaaallly curious about your daughters' names.   Would love to know what you chose for them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.