Chance of VBAC after induction first time?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EJ86

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:08 AM

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew, either personally or statistically, what are the chances of a successful VBAC with 2nd pregnancy if the 1st pregnancy was induced and went to emergency Caesarean?

My first pregnancy was healthy all throughout, but she went past 40 weeks with no indication. Me being a first timer, I got a bit impatient and asked if induction was possible and my private OB more or less just let me dictate what day I wanted. Probably should have guessed from his attitude at that point that he may not have been the right fit for us. Anyway, we induced at 40w6d and he broke my waters and nothing happened. I laboured for twelve hours but only dilated to 4cm and baby ended up getting distressed and we were whisked off to theatre. She had cord around her neck but was otherwise happy and healthy.

Now, I'm pregnant for the second time, still early, but wanting very much to start the conversation of VBAC. I'm looking around for a different OB and I wanted to know if my chances of successful VBAC are in any way reduced due to what happened the first time?

Thanks for any responses.

Sorry, above there I meant to write "no indication of coming out."

#2 Caribou

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

It depends! For me, I had an emergency CS and didn’t have another baby until 5yrs later. I was allowed to have a VBAC, and though it didn’t work out, it was a lovely expirence. I think it depends on things like your OBS expirence, your scar and how it’s healed, and the amount of time between babies.

I should add, it came down to if my scar was up to the job. It wasn’t checked on ultrasound until about 36-37 weeks. It was so well healed they had trouble finding it! The reason it wasn’t successful was DS got stuck. Opposed to my first which was pre-esclampia.

Edited by Caribou, 11 January 2018 - 09:46 AM.

#3 EJ86

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for that :)

#4 Soontobegran

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

I don't know too many Obstetricians who will not say yes to a VBAC following an unexplained failure to progress.

Talk to your obstetrician, they will know what went on last time but being induced when you are not favourable does have a higher rate of emergency C/S.
Each pregnancy is different......good luck.

#5 EJ86

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:29 AM

Thank you. Given my OB let me be induced last time without question, is it reasonable to look for another OB this time, or is it important to go with the OB that knows what went down last time that led to the emergency CS?

#6 Soontobegran

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:51 AM

View PostEJ86, on 16 January 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

Thank you. Given my OB let me be induced last time without question, is it reasonable to look for another OB this time, or is it important to go with the OB that knows what went down last time that led to the emergency CS?
You asked your private Obstetrician for an induction at nearly 41 weeks and he said yes as would most of them so I don't think that this is a reason to change doctors if you like him otherwise.
The outcome of your induction given your gestation was probably quite unpredictable and remember that you are paying them to listen to you.
If you'd asked at 37 weeks I am sure he'd have tried to talk you out of it.

Good luck.

#7 Mollycoddle

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:26 PM

I wanted a VBAC for my second after an emergency c-section with my first.  I ended up having another c-section as they are reluctant to induce after a c-section due to risk of scar rupture etc.  First baby was 8 days overdue and they were just about to induce when heart rate dropped, hence the emergency c-section.  Second baby they gave me until x date to have him via VBAC or else they'd have to get him out, when the date came and he still wasn't here I went in for the c-section.  Second c-section went so much better than the first as obviously I knew what I was in for and many others on EB have reported similar so don't be afraid if it does end up coming to this.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 16 January 2018 - 12:30 PM.

#8 Glittery Fairy

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:29 PM

I had 2 emergency C’s for the same reason as you op. Third time i went public (first 2 went private) as I kept getting told no.. i did have to push a bit for it in public but they didn’t say absolutely NO. I did end up having a VBA2C. Note- all 3 pregnancies 13-15 months apart from each other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.