Toddler and indoor plants

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Justme33

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:16 PM

Can it be done? I'd like one, but I'm paranoid about my toddler getting into the soil or killing the plant. Any advice? Anyone got peacefully co-exsisting plants and toddler?

#2 Mollycoddle

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

Mine would wee in it. Consistently.  I ended up having to ditch the whole pot, he ruined the acid balance of the soil lol.

I resorted to getting a beautiful fern to hang on the shower rail in the bathroom.  They can't reach it, it thrives in the moist conditions and some greenery always looks nice in the bathroom :)

Edited by Mollycoddle, 02 January 2018 - 01:21 PM.

#3 tenar

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:22 PM

I had heaps of indoor plants with toddlers.

Some I put up out of reach but couldn’t do so with all.  So I used a distraction strategy where I bought some glass beads from a nursery and put those on top of the soil.  Any time a curious toddler looked in, they would be much more interested in the shiny glass than messing about with the soil.  

I imagine you could do that with some even less risky thing, like larger stones or similar.  The glass I used would have posed a choking hazard had my kids been the types to put everything in their mouths.

#4 BornToLove

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

My DD never really bothered with them. We always just had house plants, so maybe she never cared too much about them.

If you’re really worried, I would start with a small, resilient plant (ie sculants) or artificial plant and go from there.

#5 Deb999

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:30 PM

When my gf's visit with their toddlers, I don't move my pot plants. If they do get into them, it's not a big deal as I have a thick layer of orchid bark at the top of each pot, so the kids aren't digging into the dirt. Orchid bark sweeps up easy and doesn't leave a mess. Although, these days the 3 year old is no longer interested and the 2 year old, and 2 x 18month olds have had a bit of a scrabble in them, but leave them alone when they've been told no by their mum.

#6 born.a.girl

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

I don't remember my daughter being even vaguely interested in them.   It was the cat, using them as kitty litter that was an issue.

#7 Mmmcheese

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

Depends on the toddler, mine never left my side, so we did minimal babyproofing.

#8 **Xena**

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

Depends on the child. I've had two kids that would leave them alone, one that would pull them out and one that eats dirt. I have fake plants inside now because I kill real ones anyway :lol:

#9 Druidmom

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:57 PM

I never knew this was an issue. Now cats, on the other hand, caused me to place chicken wire over the top of the soil on my big pot plants and my window herb garden. My DD was never interested nor any other child I have met.

#10 Elle2k17

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

I can’t even begin to imagine trying this with our LO. Why would I put myself through that?

I would absolutely adore some nice indoor plants - we have one that lives on our bench and even then he still gets into it by pushing chairs or stools over and climbing up. Nothing is sacred. When I’ve had enough (at least every second week it gets out outside for a few days because I can’t handle stopping him from spreading, eating or generally trying to kill the plant and ruin our carpets).

I think you know your kids and wether it’s worth your sanity or not.

#11 hills mum bec

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:39 PM

My kids were fine with them, it’s the cat we have to worry about.  The soul in our plant pots is now covered with a thick layer of large river pebbles to stop the cat from digging in them, doesn’t stop her from chewing on the actual plants though.

I remember when I was younger admiring the pretty red “flowers” on my mums indoor chili plant and how much pain I was in when I put my hands in my mouth afterwards.

#12 Nasty Poobah

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:43 PM

Some common indoor plants are toxic, do research if you are planning on getting some.

#13 laridae

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

One of mine liked to use the dirt out of them in her play kitchen. The other ate some mushrooms that were growing in the dirt....
Once the were about 3 it was fine and they left them alone. My 3 year old actually has her own terrarium in her room now, growing well.

#14 Lallalla

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:19 PM

I had an indoor plant and 3 toddlers, 2 one year olds and a 3 year old. 2 of them ignored it (inc the 3 year old, like you would expect). The 3rd was like a moth to a flame, tore leaves off, scooped the dirt out and played with it on the floor. Said plant is now taking its chances outside. I do have 1 hanging plant and some herbs up out of reach that are ok though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.