Aldi turducken

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Riotproof

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:04 AM

Who has tried it? What is it like? I'm curious because I had a look yesterday and it seems like it would be fine for ds's allergies.

#2 Wot*A*Lot*Of_____

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:23 AM

I have heard they are pretty good.

#3 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:48 AM

We looking at getying one, they look yum lol
i figure we havnt had issues with aldi so worth a shot

Dp who is super fussy on frozen seafood, will eat it only if fish aint biting up here, says their even passes

#4 Weavile

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:56 AM

They're yummy. We've had them a few years.

#5 Riotproof

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:04 AM

Hmm, okay, thanks. Might get one for our Boxing Day lunch at home, then.

#6 Roundthetwist

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:53 PM

We had one a couple of Chrismases ago from Aldi. It was nice enough. My only complaint was that (of course), it was mostly chicken, then turkey and not much duck...people said they couldn't tell what meat was what. Not my issue though!

#7 Riotproof

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:03 PM

I wonder if they are all gone now, anyway. I haven't had the chance to go back.

#8 #YKG

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:18 PM

Are they seriously selling a turkey stuffed with a duck and chicken?

Seems so wrong, if you’re into it try it I guess, doesn’t appeal to me though

#9 Roundthetwist

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:19 PM

My local Aldi still had some 2 weeks ago in the freezer. I would think they wouldn't have many, if any, left now though. I opted for the frozen turkey thigh this year...can't be confused about which meat is which this year lol 😂

#10 ainira

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:25 PM

View Post#YKG, on 13 December 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

The duck makes it tasty. Turkey is dry and bland even at the best of times and chicken tends to be dry too.

I asked DH about when we're going to get the roast. He said that fresh versions of the roast is available the week of Christmas or a few days before based on previous years) so we'll get it then.

#11 laridae

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:44 PM

View Postainira, on 13 December 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

The duck makes it tasty. Turkey is dry and bland even at the best of times and chicken tends to be dry too.

You need to start eating turkey and chicken thigh, not breast then if you find it dry and bland. Turkey thigh is delicious and juicy.

#12 choccy2

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:20 PM

The first time I heard of this several years ago was on an episode of Supernatural and I thought it was something they made a for the show! I had no idea something that sounded so weird was a real thing, until I saw it in Woolies later on.

I think I'll stick to straight chicken and turkey on their own. Cooked right both are delicious not dry at all. I'm not a fan of duck.

Edited by choccy2, 13 December 2017 - 11:23 PM.

#13 SukieTawdry

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:24 PM

View Post#YKG, on 13 December 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

From memory, it; wasn't a whole one. I thin it was in fact a deboned chicken with a duck breast and turkey breast inside.

They had both frozen and fresh ones last year. Has anyone seen the fresh ones in the meat section yet?

#14 Riotproof

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:40 AM

Surely they wouldn't have fresh ones yet?

#15 starshaped

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:53 AM

My mum cooked one for dinner the other night. It was a pretty tasty roast. It is essentially a deboned chicken filled with turkey and duck meat and stuffing and rolled.

I didn't really notice the turkey, but the chunks of duck and stuffing made it more interesting. It's very easy too. You just chuck it in the oven and two hours later you have dinner.

#16 #YKG

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:49 PM

View Postainira, on 13 December 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

I asked DH about when we're going to get the roast. He said that fresh versions of the roast is available the week of Christmas or a few days before based on previous years) so we'll get it then.

I’ve never cooked dry or bland turkey or chicken, mine come out juicy and amaze, I hate duck so it a turducken wouldn’t be in any menu for me.

#17 Inkogneatoh

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:01 AM

View PostSukieTawdry, on 13 December 2017 - 11:24 PM, said:

From memory, it; wasn't a whole one. I thin it was in fact a deboned chicken with a duck breast and turkey breast inside.

They had both frozen and fresh ones last year. Has anyone seen the fresh ones in the meat section yet?

I haven't physically seen them yet, because i haven't been shopping in days, but I saw the fresh ones advertised in the Wollies cataloge this week. Don't know about Aldi, as we don't have one of those here yet (there have been promises for about 25 years).

As someone who struggles with a normal roast of any sort, how hard are they to cook? I have a fussy SIL, who loves duck, and has been hinting at me cooking turkey. I'm thinking 2 birds with one stone (pun only slightly intended).

#18 ainira

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:16 PM

Just went on my Aldi app today -- turns out it's a FOUR bird roast this year. Turkey, duck, chicken AND quail :p

#19 just someone

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:46 PM

Edited by just someone, 14 January 2018 - 02:05 PM.

#20 Riotproof

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:49 PM

View Postjust someone, on 15 December 2017 - 07:46 PM, said:

Well, that sounded good, so I went and suggested it to my kids, the youngest of whom started jumping up and down in excitement and shouting "I'm going to eat a quail" (sorry to any vegetarians reading, although we don't actually eat much meat. Which was maybe why he got a little overexcited).

anyway, I then looked it up on the Aldi website - only to discover it has bacon in it. All over it, in fact. Which we don't eat. Disappointed! Gotta to go break the news to the kid...

huge bummer.. but given it was quail that was the exciting bit, maybe you could just have those? Expensive I know, but cheaper to cook at home than out.

#21 Weavile

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

I think the one without quail is baconless, so that still might be an option.

https://www.aldi.com...ken-roast-15kg/

#22 Riotproof

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:47 PM

This is this years turducken from Aldi. Wondering how people have found it previously? I’m considering for our Boxing Day lunch at home.

I am fully aware of the irony in asking the same q two years later, but... Aldi do change suppliers and whatnot, so it’s possible quality has changed.

Edited by Riotproof, 07 November 2019 - 05:49 PM.

#23 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:00 PM

Looks like the same one, we liked it and have got it a couple years in a row
will grab one this year I dare say

#24 purplepuglet

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:49 PM

Riotproof, on 07 November 2019 - 05:47 PM, said:

This is this years turducken from Aldi. Wondering how people have found it previously? I’m considering for our Boxing Day lunch at home.

I am fully aware of the irony in asking the same q two years later, but... Aldi do change suppliers and whatnot, so it’s possible quality has changed.

Funny you should ask that, I tried it one year (maybe the first year ALDI had them) and it was delicious. Got it the following year which must have been 2017, and was nowhere near as nice. Didn’t buy one last year!

#25 Riotproof

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:38 PM

Ha! That sucks.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 1 anonymous users

Google (1)

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.