Alby/Albie

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Tarly24

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:24 PM

I really like Alby/ie for either girl or boy but not sure if it works as a stand alone name rather than a nickname.
Thoughts?

I dont like Albert.
I like Alba as the girls name but DH not convinced yet.

#2 kerilyntaryn

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:03 PM

what about Alben, Albain, Albeni, Albus

Alba is ok,  what about Rosalba, Albani - Alva, Elva are related names too

Alby sounds cute,  not keen as a stand alone name

#3 José

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:12 PM

I knew a boy named albie.

I think its a terrible name

#4 Lallalla

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:15 PM

I think Albie/y is cute on a little boy but not on a man. I knew a guy who went by Albie when we were 19-20 and it just seemed odd. I think his actual name was Alan/Allen

#5 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:14 PM

Brings back cringeworthy memories of Alby Mangels, 1970s-80s adventure TV personality (sort of a hippie Bear Grylls) who cruised the seas with a crew of bikini babes. If I didn't dislike the name already these memories would kill it off for me.

#6 Astrocyte

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:22 PM

I adore Alba for a girl.

Not too keen on Alby/Albie. I think its cute for a little boy but so much much for a teenager or adult; it's too cutesy.

#7 Oriental lily

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:34 PM

Albie Mangles lol the original fake 'reality tv' show . Op. No one under 35 would have that connection . Unfortunately I personally can not seperate it and expect that the same from other older generations who lived in Australia at the time that show was on . I can see it would be a cute diminutive of Albert though if I could bleach my mind of the Albie of the 80s.

#8 belwasblondie

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:39 PM

Alba for a girl I really like.

Not fussed on Alby for either gender, I actually don't mind Albert but would go for Bertie rather than Alby as the nickname.

#9 la di dah

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:39 PM

I am secretly very fond of Rosalba for a girl... I like the 'white rose' meaning... but I don't really like Albie for either gender, sorry.

#10 Gudrun

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:44 PM

I really like Alby (cool on the adult I know) but I would want Albert or Albin on the birth certificate.

For a girl Albertine is one of the best names for 'melody'. I think it's gorgeous and NN Albie.

Edited by Gudrun, 07 September 2017 - 06:47 PM.

#11 Plaxy

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:36 PM

I really like Alby but with this one I would prefer another version on the birth certificate: Albert, Albin or Abel. I like Albert best of those.

I love Albertine nn Alby for a girl. I don't mind Alberta as well. I'm not a fan of Alba.

Alby could also work as nn for Abigail.

#12 unicycle

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:51 PM

I can see autocorrect going crazy trying to change the name to Ably. I actually like the name a lo but also have the negative Albie Mangels association.

#13 Chelli

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:52 PM

My first thought was Albie Mangels too. I remember watching his "adventures" as a young child at an old theatre. *shudders*

#14 Lou-bags

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:12 PM

DH wanted Alby on our baby name list when I was pregnant with DS2. It was a firm no from me.

Alba is sweet for a girl, but I'll be honest that my first though was lochia alba and I'm not sure I could get past that enough to use it myself.

#15 Tarly24

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:25 PM

Thanks all. Albin is nice, I'll try DH on that one.

Im from England so have no clue who Alby Mangels is... have googled him now though 😮

#16 purpleblaze

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:01 PM

I know an Albie (2 year old) but agree with the others, good cutsie name for toddler, not so much a grown man (I"m not a big fan of male names ending in "ie" eg jimmy, danny, tommy etc)

I also know an Alba (40 year old), suits her, don't mind it as a girls name.

#17 Elle2k17

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:59 PM

I've only seen it used as a nn for Albert. How about use Allen or Alistair and shorten it to Alby/ie still? This link has boys names starting with Alb, maybe you'll find something you like there?

I adore Alba for a girl!!! I would have loved to use it but we had a little boy.

Good luck choosing!

#18 Franny and Zooey

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:42 PM

I don't think it's a name for a grown up!

Yes makes me think of Alby Mangles!

#19 Thursday

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:15 PM

How about Albion? Especially since you're from England. Archaic name for Great Britain, possibly from the word for white & referring to the white cliffs of Dover.

#20 little lion

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:34 PM

Albie Mangels is my first thought. Thursday's suggestion of Albion sounds reasonable.

Once upon a time I knew a girl named Elva. I quite like that name and it has a similar rhythm to Albie so perhaps you might like it too?

#21 Elle_

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:48 AM

Alby is on our list, I don't really like Albert and not sure if it sounds too nickname-ish so I'm in the same boat :)

#22 marple

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:57 AM

Alma for a girl?

Not a fan of Alby sorry

Edited by marple, 09 September 2017 - 09:58 AM.

#23 ~J_F~

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

Definitley makes me think of Alby Mangels but I loved him as a kid and going to see his movies with my dad :) Even so I wouldnt call my kid Alby.

I also know an Allison that is nn Albie.

#24 Imaginary friend

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:44 PM

Alby/Albie too nicknamey for me and dont work as stand alone names

Alba for a girl is nice.

Not a fan of Albert - too old grandpa for me

#25 ednaboo

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:14 PM

Alby was the name of a horrible character from the series Big Love. I don't like it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

This mum has donated over 2,000 litres of breast milk

The mother-of-two was diagnosed with hyper-lactation.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Call to teach kids about breastfeeding at school

The aim is to increase breastfeeding rates and reduce stigma.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

'Working for nothing': Childcare crisis pushes Sydney parents to the brink

Most parents are experiencing substantial difficulties with the financial burden and lack of availability of childcare, as costs have more than doubled for some families in just over a decade.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Paying $2.50 for a babycino? This is why...

Aren't babycinos just a bit of froth? Not so, it seems...

I'm a stay-at-home mum who's an awful housewife

"Hey, come here a second," my mum said as she replaced the book in my hands with a wooden spoon covered in what I prayed was red sauce. Together, we walked into the kitchen and hovered over the skillet like we were peering into a crystal ball. Looking into my future, I saw me eating a lot of take away.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.