Awful presents..

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Littlecloud

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:52 PM

We had DDs birthday a few weeks ago and her nan and papa gave her some clothing that i'd never put on her.. I was really grateful that they gave her presents (as I didn't think they'd bother)

From her nanna she gave her this really bizarre coupe of outfits that are really american looking (I swear i've seen a few of them on toddlers and tiaras!) with like ruffle leggings and crazy prints, similar to this outfit (but more wild)
https://www.google.c...XCgCMYlFBBDSTM:

Papa gave her some character prints about 3 sizes too big, so by the time she would be able to fit them I doubt they'd be trendy anymore (and we don't do character prints)

Just wondering what everyone does with awful clothing/presents given to by relatives. I thought about just putting her in them once and sending nana a photo.. but i'm afraid that she'll think that I really love them and buy more....

#2 Riotproof

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:59 PM

What size are they? Put them in a drawer and forget about them, and then when they won't fit, you'll have to donate them or store away for the next baby.

Depending on your child, you might not have that much longer when you can choose what she wears, anyway.

#3 autumn-mae

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:59 PM

Put them in their cupboard and let the kids decide if they want to wear them?

If they are old enough to do so obviously, not if they are babies.

#4 Littlecloud

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:01 PM

Sorry, I should say that she is 1.

The outfits are the next size up, but i'm hoping that she won't fit them until winter.. so that will be my 'excuse'... eek.

#5 Rowenas Necklace

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:15 PM

Put her in the frilly outfit once, take a photo, then stick it in the back of the cupboard until it's outgrown and can be donated?

#6 Silver Girl

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:19 PM

Our cleaner is very generous and has given our kids many clothes from overseas that I consider quite bizarre* (odd logos/pictures etc). I smile and thank her and put them in the back of the wardrobe or donate them straight away.

*For example, one t-shirt has a picture of aliens on it and the words, "This little three-eyed fellow is loyal to 'the Claw'. What he doesn't realize is that the Claw is under the control of Andy's nasty, toy-destroying neighbor, Sid."

#7 daybreaker

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:23 PM

Donate them to St Vinnies etc!

#8 harryhoo

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:28 PM

Silver Girl that is from Toy Story. But a very abstract part of the movie to include on a kids' clothes!

#9 PrincessPeach

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:36 PM

Put them away until she does fit them.

Hopefully by then she will want to pick her own clothes & if she wears it, then it's her choice. But if she doesn't, then just donate it once she has outgrown it.

#10 Silver Girl

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for clearing up that mystery for me harryhoo!

#11 c.sanders

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:45 PM

Last year my MIL gave me a dress which was her size (24) convinced that it would fit me perfectly (14) and got upset when I refused to wear to for eid. It was absolutely ****ing hideous, like a potato sack. I was heavily pregnant  (but still a size 14) and I wanted to wear a pretty saree when visiting family and friends. I would rather have received a bag of garbage.

#12 Coeur de Lion

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:51 PM

In our house, unwanted clothing gifts go straight to the OP shop. MIL once gave DD1 (6 mo at the time) 17 handmade dresses. We kept one or two and op shopped the rest.

#13 ~J_F~

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:54 PM

Wear them as outdoor, arts and craft, messy play clothes?

If they are really that bad, a bit of dirt, paint and glue can only make them better!

#14 Hini

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:59 PM

Anything we get gifted that I don't like goes straight to the daycare centre for spare clothes.

#15 Morally Bankrupt

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:03 PM

My MIL is the most lovely amazing kind person ever but she has been buying and sending DD stripper-type clothes since she was about 4; butt-hugging frayed denim ultra-short shorts, skin-tight lepord print pants, crop tops with inappropriate slogans, "I'm so hawt" etc.

Some have ended up in the rainy day dress up only inside clothes and some sadly were lost in the post :ninja:

#16 Mumtotwo13

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:09 PM

I say thank you for the lovely gift. I then give them straight to the op shop, so someone else can enjoy them.

#17 seayork2002

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

View PostMumtotwo13, on 01 September 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

I say thank you for the lovely gift. I then give them straight to the op shop, so someone else can enjoy them.

this - I don't do the staged photo thing

#18 laridae

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:22 PM

Use them for daycare.
My Mil just tends to give clothes that are 5 sizes too big. I put them away until my kids are older.

#19 BeAwesome

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:47 PM

This week  I tidied out my spare wardrobe and found a bunch of fancy toddler sized dresses that MIL (I think?) had given us that were wildly impractical, and were thus never worn.  Toddler in question is now turning 9.  I'll be donating them.

#20 Mollycoddle

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:50 PM

Can't comment as I actually love those outfits, little girls looking like little girls and not mini-adults. I don't know what's American about them, I've seen similar in high-end kids' clothing stores (country-style clothing)?

#21 Littlecloud

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:58 PM

View PostMorally Bankrupt, on 01 September 2017 - 02:03 PM, said:

My MIL is the most lovely amazing kind person ever but she has been buying and sending DD stripper-type clothes since she was about 4; butt-hugging frayed denim ultra-short shorts, skin-tight lepord print pants, crop tops with inappropriate slogans, "I'm so hawt" etc.

Some have ended up in the rainy day dress up only inside clothes and some sadly were lost in the post Posted Image

Oh wow! Not quite that bad lol.

My grandmother did accidentally buy me a g-string when I was 8, that was pretty funny. I was very confused as to where the rest of the material went.. lol

View PostMollycoddle, on 01 September 2017 - 03:50 PM, said:

Can't comment as I actually love those outfits, little girls looking like little girls and not mini-adults. I don't know what's American about them, I've seen similar in high-end kids' clothing stores (country-style clothing)?

I've honestly never seen an Aussie kid wear these. I have seen them quite frequently in toddlers and tiaras as 'day wear' but they are so over the top frilly and glitzy that I feel like we would get a lot of odd looks wearing them to the shops!

#22 ~J_F~

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:01 PM

View PostLittlecloud, on 01 September 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

I've honestly never seen an Aussie kid wear these. I have seen them quite frequently in toddlers and tiaras as 'day wear' but they are so over the top frilly and glitzy that I feel like we would get a lot of odd looks wearing them to the shops!

I doubt that and does it matter if random strangers give you odd looks if you and your kid are happy.

I have seen them a bit but I follow lots of designer and high end children clothing brands and the second hand FB pages for them.

#23 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

View PostLittlecloud, on 01 September 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

Take a photo of her in them, then make sure you bring it out to embarrass her when she is older ;)

We get sent a lot of clothing that is NMS. Often the choice is taken out of my hands because it doesn't fit during the right season. We donate those items.

#24 Luci

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

I have 3 kids so over the years have received a fair few gifts that were not suitable for various reasons.

I tend to hang onto them for a while, before giving them to the charity shop.  I keep them in new condition, with the tags attached.

#25 decisionsdecisions

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:56 PM

Straight to the dress up box (yours or daycare)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

This mum has donated over 2,000 litres of breast milk

The mother-of-two was diagnosed with hyper-lactation.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Call to teach kids about breastfeeding at school

The aim is to increase breastfeeding rates and reduce stigma.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

'Working for nothing': Childcare crisis pushes Sydney parents to the brink

Most parents are experiencing substantial difficulties with the financial burden and lack of availability of childcare, as costs have more than doubled for some families in just over a decade.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Paying $2.50 for a babycino? This is why...

Aren't babycinos just a bit of froth? Not so, it seems...

I'm a stay-at-home mum who's an awful housewife

"Hey, come here a second," my mum said as she replaced the book in my hands with a wooden spoon covered in what I prayed was red sauce. Together, we walked into the kitchen and hovered over the skillet like we were peering into a crystal ball. Looking into my future, I saw me eating a lot of take away.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.