recovery from c section (planned) tips & questions!

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 robhat

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:56 PM

I don't know that you can get 100% definite answers on some of these things. It may depend on how things go, which is different for each mum, and even for each pregnancy/birth and some of these things depend on the doctors and hospitals involved.

I've had 2 c-sections. Both were early morning (7:30am) and no I was not out of bed the same day. Catheter was in over night and bub wasn't allowed to room in with me over night as they consider it unsafe. I don't think I would have been given any choice about this, not that I asked, and to be honest, you may not feel like getting up. It sometimes is best to just rest.

I don't remember having any swelling. At all.

I didn't shave either. Just let the doctors and nurses take care of what needs to be done.

My doctor pretty much ordered the nurses to put a belly band on me. I'm a small person and I had very big babies and they stretched my tummy muscles really badly, so it was very much needed. I learnt after my first pregnancy to just put the darn thing on for the 2nd pregnancy. But this will depend entirely on your body and how messed up your tummy muscles are!

I was able to hold my babies while being stitched up, but only able to feed once in recovery and only for my 2nd bub. Babies couldn't stay in recovery with my first bub. It depends on hospital policy, so you need to ask your hospital. Also be aware that these things depend entirely on how bub is doing. My first needed suctioning immediately so I basically got a 2 second glimpse before they took her away (she could only half breathe). They had her swaddled etc by the time they had her all sorted out and returned to me. I'm fairly certain though if the hospital is OK with it and bub is fine, they'll help you to nurse. There really isn't much you can do beforehand.

I didn't take any stool softeners. To be honest, it never occured to me.

I don't know if I was creeped out by nurses cleaning me up beforehand. I don't think I even thought about it beforehand! When it happens though, you just don't care. Actually, you're often relieved to be getting cleaner and you really aren't able to do it yourself. Seriously. You have no idea how necessary abdomen muscles are to normal everyday movement until you have a c-section. You can't move easily or comfortably. The catheter is great because you don't have to get out of bed. Getting out of bed is not fun when your tummy muscles are shot! Plus you really can't feel your lower body for some time after the surgery. For one week of your life, just let the nurses do everything for you! I had the added problem of very leaky breasts. The nurses didn't believe me at first. They said I wouldn't leak until my milk came in. An hour later they found that I'd drenched my hospital gown with colostrum and quickly helped me with a bra and breast pads, which they had to do for me as I still couldn't move the lower part of my body! Great fun!!!

#52 PandoBox

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:20 AM

I wanted to contribute here for anyone else searching for tips that I ended up having a really great c section and recovery is going well. At all stages of the c section and so far during recovery I can confidently say I had minimal to no pain during the process and recovery in hospital.

Being prepared and watching vlogs/reading forums really helped me know what to expect at each stage of the birth.

I didn't feel the spinal going in much at all even when they were numbing me there was hardly any pain.

During surgery I didn't feel much discomfort at all. When they took bubs out , I felt that something was taken out..kind of like a sense of relief but no discomfort or pressure.  I could go as far as saying that the feelings were pleasurable.

After bubs was out they stitched me up really quickly. Time went by really fast..if I had to estimate Id say 10 mins. Bubs was placed in my arms and we had skin to skin while they stitched me up. One of the nurses took photos of us which was great.

I read previously that some people feel nauseated and as I am prone to nausea and have low blood pressure I mentioned these concerns upon on my admission and was given something to prevent the nausea :)

After the cs, the only negative side effect was the uncontrollable shaking after which lasted for an hour. They put blankets on me and it didn't work. They then gave me some pills which made the shakes go away. Despite this, a lovely nurse still helped me nurse bubs in recovery.

I had no problems bonding with bub.

Regarding my initial concerns:

I did not feel the catheter go in or come out and felt pretty comfortable sleeping with it. It didn't come out till the next morning and I didn't get to stand up till the next day but this was fine with me as I wasn't up for it.

They did end up shaving me, but this was while I was numb so I didn't feel it or feel weird about it.

After the c section they did stick a giant pad between my legs and nurses did check it but I didn't really care at that point..and it was only for 24 hours...after that I got up, went to the toilet, showered and changed my own pad. I wore hospital panties I purchased online which were great.  My hospital didn't provide these.

Getting up out of bed was something I dreaded as I heard it really hurt. I didn't have this experience.. I got out easily but very slowly and carefully.  I made sure I was drugged up well before hand and kept on top of pain meds. It felt like I did an extreme work out and was tender but nothing like the pain I had read about.

Recovery wise it was better every day. I did have problems doing number 2s, even after the stuff they gave me in hospital but I did go eventually. It was painful because I was so constipated.. but the pain wasn't c section pain, it was constipation pain (i.e., is it EVER going to come out?)

The drugs I got given worked well and I made sure I stayed on top of them..I asked for more drugs the minute I felt even 1 out of 10 on the pain scale and I was never in any pain which was good. I have been told to do this as pain can escalate quickly and then its hard to get back on top of it.

I am now 1 week PP and can do pretty much everything. I am avoiding lifting anything heavier then bubs and still taking it easy as I do not want any set backs. I made sure to arrange help and was lucky enough to be able to do this.

All in all, I don't regret my experience at all and it was very positive.

#53 c.sanders

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:56 AM

Fantastic update!!

So glad to hear it all went smoothly. It's hard to explain all these until you experience it yourself as a patient.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.